Brisbane, Australia [Results]

November 21st 2009 - Our 5th Anniversary SketchCrawl!!!
christy
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Brisbane, Australia [Results]

Post by christy »

It was a hot (well into the 30's celcius) day for the 5th Anniversary of SketchCrawl, but Mike and I made it out anyway for our first Crawl attempt. We only got through a couple of hours in the heat, but it was a fun day. We'll definitely be in it again! Our travels took us to the War Memorial park in the centre of Brisbane, off to the GoMA at Southbank (we missed the opening hours unfortunately, that might be one for next time!) and to a city park with a nice RAAF statue of an eagle in it. I think next time we'll plan our day better, but other than that we're looking forward to the next one. Mike decided not to post his sketches (shy!) but I will be brave and show you my meagre efforts :)

Hope everyone had as much fun as we did! If any Brisbanites wish to join in on the next Crawl, that would be great.

Cheers,
Christy
alissa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Re: Brisbane, Australia [Results]

Post by alissa »

Lovely work Christy - especially the backpack. the linework is so very dlicate and detailed.

I am exBrisbane (now in Sydney) and it is exciting that there was a sketchcrawl there. There were 12 of us in Sydney this time. Last time there was 2 of us. It is difficult to get word out about it if you do not know anyone in art circles. We have a Sydney Sketch Meet Up group and were lucky enough that they made it one of their events, so this time we had a larger number of people knowing about it. And then after the sketchcrawl, 3 of us chatting about our sketchboks were approached by two other people that were curious about what we were doing. Next time I will take a sketchcrawl flyer to hand out to curious people.

alissa
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31752495@N03/
HedgeWytch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by HedgeWytch »

Lovely delicate sketches. Amazing temperature too - it's really weird to think of you guys sketching in that heat, especially after reading about the lady in Greenland whose watercolours kept freezing because it was so cold! :lol:
66ahri
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by 66ahri »

really envious to see you in tshirt,lovely drawing as well guys.

manlio
rohit
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by rohit »

nice sketches christy... I like ou patience with the details and the shading... nice work...
NoriRoll
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by NoriRoll »

great sketches Brissy! Yeah, like Alissa we're trying to get word out here down in Melbourne. We have a Facebook page and there used to be quite a turnout a year - maybe a year and a half ago. Hmmmm

Anyway great to see you guys here too
christy
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by christy »

Thanks so much for all your lovely comments guys! Yes it's good to finally have a Brisbane 'Crawl, even if it was just my boyfriend and I :) ... hopefully we will get some more responses next time and put the word out to our friends to keep the date free. It can be hard to get people to come and sketch - I think maybe some folks are a bit shy about their work, or at least the reaction to their sketches, but overwhelmingly I find most people are really supportive of different styles and degrees of ability. Hmmm ... must figure out a way to convince people they won't be judged!! The weather was really hot, but as Summer approaches we're aclimatising - it's sunny and a nice temperature most of the year in Brisbane, so tshirts are the way to go. I'm loving seeing everyone elses drawings. Keep sketching! C.
Damo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Damo »

Top stuff there mate :thumbup:

it reached 37C just before 11.30am here in Alice Springs.

I am ex-Brisbane, ex-Tassie, ex-South Australian....mix of everything LOL!

I can image the humidity, compared to DRY Alice Springs....

Same here, only two (included myself rocked up)....
karynz
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by karynz »

Wow, the bird is really well done! Yes, I find that the other sketchcrawlers are usually very supportive of each others work and it's a great oppotunity to develop and learn new techniques etc. Looking forward to checking out your stuff next time. Stay cool 8)
crispur2005
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by crispur2005 »

Hi Christy
Your sketches are great, especially the eagle. I live in Beaudesert and would love to participate in the next event , is it OK if I join in.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Marvelous shading on your sketches!!! Wow!
Morrys
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Morrys »

Christy, great work with attentive reproduction! the style result so sweet and peaceful. Like the backpack picture a lot. :)
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

Good line work and detail in your sketches; I'd love to see more.
christy
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by christy »

Hi People!
Thanks so much again for the sweet comments - what a lovely SketchCrawl community :)
Alice is such a hot place Damo - you were really good to get out and about in the heat of that day!
Crispur, we'd be more than happy to have you along on a Brisbane Crawl next time, or if you're wanting to set one up in Beaudesert, that's cool too! Just keep an eye on the forums for next time round.
Hoping to get a bit more done next Crawl, congrats to all participants!
Cheers,
Christy

Return to “25th World Wide SketchCrawl”