London, UK [Results]

November 21st 2009 - Our 5th Anniversary SketchCrawl!!!
HedgeWytch
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

London, UK [Results]

Post by HedgeWytch »

Is it ok for me to start this thread even though I didn't make it to meet up with everyone else? :oops:

I've been really wanting to take part in a sketchcrawl since I heard about it at the beginning of the year, but something ALWAYS seems to come up. Either I've been working, or forgotten :oops: Today I was due to be working, but I finished up earlier than expected so decided to go down to Portobello Road (which is a ten minute drive from me) and do a bit of sketching on my own.

I only had enough change to park for one hour (got to love London, eh?) so I parked up and then meandered down Portobello Road. I did a couple of sketches, then wandered back and got drawn towards (no pun intended there!) the paella stall. I always stop and look at this stall, the big pans they cook in fascinate me - also I've never tried paella before so curiosity has a lot to do with my fascination :lol:

I stood there and started sketching, and the guys running the stall smiled and winked, then one of them asked if I was writing a book. I told him I was drawing, and he asked if I could scan it in and e-mail it to him! He then gave me free paella for lunch :D I was SO chuffed to bits it's ridiculous, random good things like that never happen to me!

So, just a little sketching from me today. And a free lunch :lol: Oh, I did go to Trafalgar Square and the National Gallery yesterday (Friday) so I've put those sketches on here too.

Sketches from Friday:

Hopefully I'll get to meet up with other crawlers next time :D
alissa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Re: London, UK [Results]

Post by alissa »

How cool - what a great day ! Aren't you glad you stopped at the paella stand to draw - I like the drawings of the pans

Alissa

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31752495@N03/
rohit
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by rohit »

nice time you had... and complimentary lunch is really cool... we were thinking of similar things here... how wonderful its happened somewhere to start off with...
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

Hi HedgeWytch. It looks as if you had a good day, even if you had to sketchcrawl solo.

We had an excellent turnout this time, starting at the National Gallery and stopping for lunch at Covent Garden. Not lucky enough to get a free lunch in exchange for drawing, though! Next time we'll have to try Portobello Road. I hope you can join us then, HedgeWytch.

Tom

travelingsuep
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by travelingsuep »

Great drawings Tom & HedgeWytch.

The paella does look tasty!
Chelle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Chelle »

Hey guys great drawings! I wish I could have come after all that planning. Damn flu!
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

Hedgewytch, wish you could have joined us, although it appears you had a great sketchday anyway! (I love paella). Your sketches have a nice friendly feel to them which I guess comes from the environment of the market (and friendly people giving you paella - have I mentioned how much I like paella?) and I like how you've documented little things with notes. Good on you for drawing the tree roots too, they scared me too much to attempt them!

Tom, didn't get a chance to see your sketches on the day (although I do remember seeing this great sketch over your shoulder in covent garden of the crowd around the street performer) so I've been looking forward to these. I recognise several of the characters and I see the local wildlife is as large as life as ever! I wish I'd seen that wheelchair. It looks a mechanical marvel. You've captured the bustle of covent garden perfectly.
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

Here's my lot, apologies in advance for the horrendous presentation. Had a really good time on Saturday, the weather had threatened to turn nasty but didn't really until I was on my way home. Always great to meet people who love to draw, and sketching in the national gallery and Trafalgar Square was a unique experience for me.

eclecticbox
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eclecticbox »

I always enjoy looking at your results.
In your sketches I see the people from the city I love so much.
Also nice to see a variety of styles!

Thanks for sharing!
Regards from Barcelona
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

HedgeWytch - You may have sketched solo, but you look like you had a great day. Free paella too!! Nice sketches.

Tom - Faboulous sketches of the people, especially the guy in the motorized chair...looks like he could race off the page.

Thek - Love your sketches of the people and artwork in the gallery. great job!
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

I love the sense of whimsy in your people sketches, Thek. Lots of character in those faces.

The people remind me of Jules Feiffer's work.
soeren bendt
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by soeren bendt »

Great work guys!
love the apple market and the women in the galleries Tom!
Also those posers at trafalgar sq and the French dude admiring art is really great Thek!
Morrys
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Morrys »

Cool sketches guys!
Tom D, I really like the way you layed out your sketches!
thek
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by thek »

Thanks all!

Tom, I looked up Jules Feiffer, and really admire his work, like a more friendly Ronald Searle. I see a lot to learn from all the pen and ink sketches I see on google images! I've ordered Imaginitive Realism too, can't wait to get stuck into that.

Soeren, really hope you can make it to the next one! And btw, we were looking at your blog in the office the other day, you've done some stunning updates.
briantbear
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by briantbear »

I love your style of drawing people.

Return to “25th World Wide SketchCrawl”