Los Angeles, CA

Saturday September 19th 2009
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Los Angeles, CA

Post by shihonakaza »

Hi Everyone,

Let's decide on a place for next Sketch Crawl! I'd like to invite my fellow illustrators, so sooner we know the place, the better!

Date: Saturday September 19
Time: 11am - ??

Some places that were suggested in the past (some places cost $):

Descanso Garden ($ for admission)
http://www.descansogardens.org/site/

Long Beach: Aquarium of the Pacific ($ for admission)

Redondo Beach

Getty Center ($ for parking)

Hollywood Blvd.: Hollywood & Highland, Grauman's Chinese Theatre, Musso's etc.

Koreatown

San Pedro: 6th street, LA harbor, Palos Verdes parks / Korean Bell

Los Angeles Zoo ($ for admission)

Universal CityWalk ($ for parking)

Downtown LA has a wealth of buildings/places to draw - might be ideal for actual "crawling" if we want to meet at certain places and walk/sketch along the way: Grand Central Market/Bradbury Building, etc.

And as a side note, here's a google map of downtown LA landmarks shown on 500 Days of Summer movie - might be fun to visit and sketch some of them?
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 9,0.042915

Let me know what you think!
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Re: Los Angeles, CA

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

I may be able to get a few people into Descanso Garden for free :lol: But it will have to be first come first serve ... :lol:
kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by kmillustration »

I could go for some structural drawing; buildings, a harbor, that kind of thing. Out of the ideas listed these were the ones that caught my eye most.

Long Beach: Aquarium of the Pacific - Queen Mary is close by in the harbor too
San Pedro: 6th street, LA harbor, Palos Verdes parks / Korean Bell - The Bell could be really awesome, I've never been there so I don't know what else is around in case people finish quickly and want to move. What are the surroundings like?
Downtown LA: Grand Central Market/Bradbury Building market could be fun and the Bradbury building looks really neat.

Another idea could be the LA Farmers market, I've never been there but it seems pretty interesting. I don't know where you guys have gone in the past. I'm up for just about anything though. :] Can't wait!
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

I'm up for buildings, too - I need the practice!
Downtown LA: Grand Central Market/Bradbury Building would be a good place for that.

San Pedro - LA Harbor area/6th street would be fun to draw fish market, ships, etc. Palos Verdes park/Korean Bell are on a bluff overlooking the ocean - it is a serene park, doesn't have the buildings/cities-kind of feel. Unfortunately it's too far to walk between the harbor and the park.

Long Beach: Aquarium and Queen Mary would be a cool place to sketch, though both cost $ for admission :( I'm watching my budget right now, so I'd like to draw elsewhere in Long Beach (Belmont Shore, the Pike, Pine Street, etc.) if we decide to go there.

We've been to LA Farmer's Market twice, we can go again if we get a lot of interest - that's always a fun place to sketch.
MatthewB
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by MatthewB »

I'm looking forward to joining if I can -- this will be my first.

I was downtown this past weekend and there are a lot of great sites within walking distance of the subway. Grand market, etc. Broadway seems always ripe for sketching, and museum row. Union station is also fun -- I love the architecture, and Olvera Street is just up the hill.

But....I am not yet 100% sure I will be able to join the crawl, so please feel free to pick a place and I'll do my best.
kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by kmillustration »

Sounds like it's decided. Downtown will be the most effective for everyone's wants/needs.
I dont ever get over there so If anyone knows of a good place to park that is free or super cheap suggest it/share a google map or something so we can have some where to meet up.
kmillustration
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Nucleus: Terrible Yellow Eyes

Post by kmillustration »

Just a little heads up.

Sept 19th @ Gallery Nucleus is the Terrible Yellow Eyes Show
September 19, 2009 - October 6, 2009
Opening Reception / Sep 19, 7:00PM - 11:00PM
http://gallerynucleus.com/gallery/exhibition/214

I've been to Nucleus a couple time for other shows but never on opening night, but how great a way would this be to end a productive day of sketching!
I'm so excited for this show. There are some gorgeous pieces!

should probably plug the site as well.
http://www.terribleyelloweyes.com/
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

Bradbury building and Grand Central Market would be fun ... nice and cool indoor ... perfect for the hot weather!! :D
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

Bradbury Building and Grand Central Market it is!
Let me find more info about the area and post it this weekend. I'll also alert the Society of Illustrators of LA artists.

By the way, Kendra, thanks for mentioning Terrible Yellow Eyes show at Gallery Nucleus, and Alina, congratulations on getting in the show!

Happy drawing,

Shiho
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

24th World Wide Sketch Crawl: Los Angeles will be at Grand Central Market!

Meeting Date: Saturday September 19
Meeting Time: 11am*

Grand Central Market
317 Broadway
Los Angeles CA 90013
Meet at the entrance facing Hill Street (the market has two entrances, one on Broadway and one on Hill)
info:
http://www.grandcentralsquare.com/

DRIVING DIRECTIONS
The Market is just off the 110 Freeway. From either direction of the 110 in downtown Los Angeles take the 4th Street Exit. Proceed down 4th St. At the 2nd light turn left on Hill Street. The Market is half a block down on your right hand side.

Here's a google map link: http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF&m ... f9ea813524

Grand Central Market is 1/2 block north of Red Line, Pershing Street Station on 4th St. and Hill. As for parking, there are metered street parking (read the signs!), or pay lots that generally cost $5-$8 for all day parking. One hour of parking at Grand Central Market parking structure at 308 S. Hill Street is free with $10 minimum purchase.

We can also go inside the lobby area of Bradbury Building, which is around the corner from the Market, on 3rd Street and Broadway:

Bradbury Building
304 S Broadway
Los Angeles, CA 90013-1224
(213) 626-1893

And here is a walking map of other historical buildings around the area for your drawing and exploring pleasure:
http://www.laconservancy.org/tours/downtown/index.php4

See you all soon!

*I have a dentist appointment in the morning, so I may be a little late. Just look for a group of people who have sketchbooks.
monking
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by monking »

I'll be there. Look forward to crawling with you again, Alina. It's been a long time.
MatthewB
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by MatthewB »

Sorry to say I'll be out of town this weekend, so I won't be able to make the crawl in L.A. too bad -- I've been looking forward to it! Also missing the "Terrible Eyes" open which is a bummer.

*But* wherever I will be this weekend, rain or shine, I will take my sketchbook and watercolours.

Best of luck with the crawl!
James
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by James »

Count me in! I'll be late since I'm flying into town that morning but I'll be looking for a bunch of sketchbooks!
jmechner
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jmechner »

Not sure if I can make it Saturday, but will try!
igamble
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by igamble »

I'm so there!

Can't wait, gonna be my first.

Return to “24th World Wide SketchCrawl”