Bryan/College Station [Results]

Saturday July 11th 2009
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Bryan/College Station [Results]

Post by granny c »

We hoped to have a group, this time, but it didn't work out. So my sister and I met in downtown Bryan at the LaSalle Hotel coffee shop. It's beastly hot outside in Texas this summer, so we chose to work indoors. The big windows of the coffee shop allowed us to see some of the street scene and courtyard, along with the very interesting restored hotel.
The fields and many lawns are all burned up from the drought and heat.
I enjoyed orange juice while I sketched at the oak table.
Barbara sketching while visitors walked past. It was nice to hear people talking about shopping downtown and making lunch plans.
Barbara was interested in drawing people because of the challenge provided as they tend to move at the most inconvenient times.
Barbara sketched a group of ladies who were meeting in one corner of the coffee shop. They were moving a lot!
This lady was involved in reading a very thick book at the next table.
Barbara sketched this man at another table as he worked on his laptop. She worked in pen, and added a bit of watercolors with her little Winsor Newton travel set.
I sketched this man who was ordering coffee. Of course, he moved, too.
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Bryan/College Station [Results]

Post by granny c »

These are more of our sketches. It seemed to act like I was adding too much, or something, so I thought I should add other drawings separately.
Barbara sketched the Masonic Lodge across the street, through the window. There is a barber shop downstairs in this building.
I sketched my view through the LaSalle Hotel coffee shop window, complete with the back of the sign hanging there. The restored Carnegie Library is on the right, with the Masonic Lodge on the left.
Barbara had sketched a lady seated in the courtyard of the hotel. I chose to sketch the gate to the courtyard. I used a Pitt pen for this, then Winsor Newton watercolors.
We had asked people to check in at The Frame Gallery. So, after leaving the LaSalle Hotel at lunch time, we went by the Frame Gallery. No one else had checked in. The owner was helping customers choose a frame for a portrait that she had done of them.
Then it was on to try to decide where to have lunch. We decided to head for Rudy's barbeque in College Station.
I was supposed to direct Barbara to Rudy's, but I started watching this young man, riding on a toolbox in the pickup in front of us, and we missed the turn. It took us an hour to find Rudy's!
m9fred
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
Austria

Post by m9fred »

Wonderful sketches of people in relaxed atmosphere. You found an ideal location to sketch on such a hot day.
I'm fascinated by your choice of colours.
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by granny c »

After we finally found Rudy's, we enjoyed the atmosphere and the air conditioning.
A couple eating barbeque on what was a screened porch. Now it is enclosed with lots of windows, and has wooden picnic tables.
This man realized that Barbara was sketching him, and came over to see what we were doing. He seemed impressed.
The people moved while Barbara was sketching them.
Guy's Lunch. These men were enjoying their barbeque for lunch.
Guy's Lunch II. I was sketching the same two men as Barbara was sketching. I was interested in the orange t-shirt on the wall, but I didn't get close enough to see why it was there. Orange is the wrong color in this town! Everything is maroon and white for the Texas Aggies, not the Texas Longhorns.
I see lights in strange ways due to AMD and cataracts. This was how I saw the ceiling lights.
This young woman was one of several people who all seemed to spread out over the barbeque place to clean. I thought it was interesting that she had a very clean , neatly folded white rag hanging from her back pocket.
By this time, Barbara was ready to end the day.
Hope we can get a group for the next Sketch Crawl!
Kath and Mike
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Kath and Mike »

nicely animated. Kath
Becco
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Becco »

Beautiful vivid color!
and nice line works :D
Becco/Japan
BLOG
sketchgurl
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sketchgurl »

You did a wonderful job, despite the oven-like heat.
AVBK
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by AVBK »

I really enjoyed reading about your day and following the narrative in your lovely drawings - you got so much done on such a hot day and made it all very entertaining.
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

you got so much done on such a hot day and made it all very entertaining.
Yes indeed :D I enjoyed a lot seeing and reading them. Each one of them is so lovely ; Like greeting cards.
asnee
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by asnee »

lovely work, can tell the heat by the colors..
love all of the drawings..

Return to “23rd World Wide SketchCrawl”