Seattle, Washington USA results

Saturday July 11th 2009
beth
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Seattle, Washington USA results

Post by beth »

Woodland Park Zoo was a great Sketchcrawl destination! It was great to see old friends Teresa, Frances, and Tim, and meet Anita, Mark, and Jack. Sorry Josh and Gabi could not join us. Thanks to all of you who came from so far away!
Oh, yes, there were other animals there too: zebras, hippos, gazelles, monkeys. We even saw part of a lion.
Here is as much of Larry G. as would fit on my scanner:

photo uploaded via:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/fuzzyimagearts
Last edited by beth on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
alissa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Re: Seattle, Washington USA results

Post by alissa »

Great giraffe drawing and colours. It sounds like a fun day inWashington - Which part of the lion did you see?
beth
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by beth »

It was the scruff of his neck! You had to go to an extreme end of the viewing window to even see that. Someone said they heard him growl too.
rohit
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by rohit »

nice giraffe sketch...
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

oh yes, nice pen and watercolor combination!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

penartist7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by penartist7 »

This was my first SketchCrawl (not my last) – great fun. Teresa, Frances, Beth, Anita, Tim and Jack, thanks for the warm welcome for the rookie.

Mark Ryan
http://www.studiobistro.com
gaelwriter
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by gaelwriter »

Great sketches and color; loved the humor, too.
Tyler Street
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Tyler Street »

Mark and Beth, thanks for posting! Beth, I loved our tete-a-tete with Larry the Giraffe! Mark, how did I miss seeing these wonderful sketches when we shared our sketchbooks after lunch?! I'm going to add some color to my hasty sketches and post soon. Frances, call me if you need help getting yours online! It was a wonderful day to be at the zoo under the shady trees. -- Teresa (a.k.a. Tyler S.!)
Becco
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Becco »

beth
Very fantastic!!!
I like your color.
The giraffe's eyes are so cute :clap:

penartist7
Wow,beautiful color works!
I want to go to zoo..... :D
Becco/Japan
BLOG
Tyler Street
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Tyler Street »

Some photos of our day -- sorry I have no evidence that Jack was with us too! I'm hoping he got some great sketches in the rose garden, which was a feast of color and fragrance. Here are Beth and Mark drawing stripes on zebras.
And here are my striped zebras:

Here are Anita and Tim.
Image Image

Here is Tim's amazing tiny paintbox setup (the secret is the magnets). I don't know what his secret is for the beautiful raptor renderings:

Here's Jimi's Rock:
When the zoo first created the new African savanna exhibit and let the animals out of their cages, they gave the lions heated rocks. This rock, placed where humans can climb on it, was (and maybe still is) heated as well. A bronze plaque in honor of Seattle native Jimi Hendrix has been rubbed almost smooth -- oddly enough it is the word "rock" that is almost unreadable. but Jimi's name still shines.

Here is my macaque.

And here is Frances, just after the best moment of the day: she held up her sketchbook to the window, and the macaque thrust its face forward as if surprised to see itself -- HUH?!
mtbrehm
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by mtbrehm »

Fantastic work all around - and a great idea to sketch at the zoo! Love the sketches and the photos - especially the last one where you're showing the macaque its portrait!
Tim
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Tim »

Hi everybody. Sorry it's taken so long to post my sketches. Anita and I had a great time with you all at the zoo. What wonderful drawing weather too! We're looking forward to the next one.

I finally got to draw an elephant or two. The amazing thing is the way they just let the elephants wander around anywhere they please, even amongst all the people visiting the zoo.* I never expected that.

In the words of Gary Larsen, birds of prey know that they are cool.

They have a fancy new penguin exhibit- probably inspired by that documentary from a year or two ago.

I was not the first who had drawn this fellow, and I think he might have been getting a little bored with us.

Just for the record this was the first time I've tried to draw animals that were "on the hoof." While fun, it can certainly be an exasperating experience! I don't know how much they get in modeling fees, but IMHO they aren't very good at it. I sure got a lot of rear views...

It took a while to spot the duiker (pronounced "diker" btw) as he was very shy. Ostriches and elephants not so much!

Most of the elephants that were out were girls- the boys tended to stay just out of view for the most part.

* Not really. Kidding!
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Your group did such great sketches of the animals!!!! Looks like you had a great time!
northwestdrawing
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by northwestdrawing »

Great giraffe, Beth. I'm glad I had the opportunity to see all of its charm, unedited by a scanner! Was fun sharing the day with you. Frances
northwestdrawing
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by northwestdrawing »

Teresa, great sharing the day with you and the rest of our jolly group, and seeing everyone's lovely sketches after lunch... and, finally: thanks for your kind offer of helping get my sketches on line. Sorry I'm so late in having time to do this! I'll definitely take you up on the assist. I left a message on your answering machine. Frances

Return to “23rd World Wide SketchCrawl”