Bryan/College Station, Texas [Results]

Saturday April 11th 2009
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Bryan/College Station, Texas [Results]

Post by granny c »

We had a cloudy, gray day, today, a bit cool to start out with. I didn't find anyone else in downtown Bryan, sketching, so I spent a couple of hours sketching there. Came home for lunch with my family and watched a "Ma And Pa Kettle" movie while I put down some of my impressions of the day in my my sketchbook. Later, we drove around to look at Bluebonnets and interesting things to sketch. A neighbor is raising deer and recently added some antelope to their herd. I had told her that she needed some antelope because, when I pass her house, I sing "Home On The Range" (where the deer and the antelope play). Very interesting to watch.
I chose the same place to work where my sister, my grandson and I sketched for the first time in March 2008. There was a convenient bench there, and I could see the LaSalle, in case anyone else showed up. I got too cold, and I was having trouble with my knees, so I decided to come home.
I talked to someone at the Frame Gallery, where we were to register, and she was going to do some sketching at the circus this evening. So those pictures are to come. I still have to post mine on Flickr, then add them on here. I wanted to go on and set this up so that others can add their pictures when they are ready.
I did have a very strange thing happen while I was downtown. I got up from my bench to take a photo of the street. I turned around and took a picture of that bench, and all was as I had left it. Walked to my bench, and, as I started to sit down, there were 5 pennies placed across the bench! I still don't know where they came from. I didn't have any change with me, and no one was around, except for a homeless man who was still sitting on the sidewalk, in front of the next building. Very strange! I think of "Pennies From Heaven"! :?
I'll add my pictures later this evening. Right now, there is a very interesting sunset to watch!
Looking forward to the next crawl!
caroljwatson
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Bryan/College Station, Texas [Results]

Post by caroljwatson »

Hi there! I'd love to see some of your sketches! Like you, we had to brave less than desirable weather here in Georgetown, though it certainly wasn't all THAT bad...I just had visions of a sunny day, that's all!

I enjoyed reading your descriptions. Glad you had a good day. I know I can't wait for the next official crawl date...I plan to get out on my own between now and then!

take care,
carol
carol j watson
"Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." Pablo Picasso
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by granny c »

I'm finally getting around to putting my pictures on from Sketch Crawl. I made a big mess with Flickr and wound up deleting a lot of pictures, when all I was trying to do was move them around! Had to practically start over. And then we've had storms so the computer was unplugged for a while.
I asked interested people to meet at the LaSalle Hotel Coffee Shop for Sketch Crawl. I went in, but just found a couple of tables of senior citizens having coffee. I decided to walk across the street to a spot where I worked the first time we did SC last year. I could see the coffee shop from there, people could see me drawing, and I knew there was a good bench there.
This shows the LaSalle Hotel, and the Howell Building across the street, the barbershop beside me.
Image My grandson took this picture of me, sketching in front of the Palace Theatre. They had shown "Grease" there for First Friday, the weekend before.
I selected the old Queen theatre to draw, across the street from me, not because of the building so much as because of the pigeons prancing along the top ledge and flying overhead.
This is the building that I chose to sketch, across the street from me.
I was sitting in front of the old Palace theatre, with an old fashioned barber shop beside me. This family came in to get an Easter haircut for their little boy, then stopped to take pictures.
Another barbershop customer for an Easter haircut. A little blonde toddler came out of the barbershop with his Grandpa.
A young man, dressed all in black, with a nice black backpack, sat down on the opposite of the Palace Theatre steps from me. Since no one else showed up for Sketch Crawl with me, I was tempted to give him some paper and pencil, and, in my best school teacher voice, tell him to draw! But, I thought better of it and just drew him!
Pennies From Heaven-Where did they come from? I stood up from my bench and walked to the curb to take a picture down the street. I turned and took a photo of where I was working. When I got back to my bench, there were 5 pennies scattered where I had been sitting. No one had been near that bench. The photo doesn't show any pennies. But, when my grandson got there, I showed them to him and he brought them home for his collection. I thought that maybe someone thought I was an old homeless lady, with my tote bag of art supplies, and left me some change. But, there was no one else around, except the man on the other side of the building. Very strange experience.
This is the spot where I was working.
This is another interesting building downtown Bryan, the Howell building , which has been restored. I had called my daughter to come pick me up as I was cold and was not comfortable where I was. While I waited, I sketched the Howell building through a small, spring green tree.
I jotted down a few impressions and thoughts while I was sitting in downtown Bryan.
I went home for lunch. My grandson was getting over the flu and wanted some of my tomato soup and a sandwich, so I took time out to fix him some lunch. By the time the soup was hot, he had already made himself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and had eaten it. So, this was my lunch. A Chicken spread sandwich on honey oat bread, served on a Barney plate! A cup of tomato soup. And a Sprite. All placed on a cuptowel with Easter Eggs printed on it. I like the way my cup came out, on this one.
Lunch with an Easter Egg theme.
While I was having lunch, and thinking of things to sketch, my daughter was thinking of Easter dinner. Baking a ham is one or our Easter traditions, getting ready for a special dinner on Easter.
While we were having lunch, we watched a couple of Ma and Pa Kettle movies. They are still great movies to watch!
After lunch, we went out looking for typically Texas things to sketch for the Sketch Crawl. A lot of people were out, taking pictures in the Bluebonnets. I thought that this was certainly something that is typical of Texas, our state flower. We got out and took pictures, too, and I thought, "I don't think I've ever touched a Bluebonnet petal before". We wouldn't dare pick one, but did touch them and examine them. The petals were very soft and moist. I've been thinking that I need to study them while they are blooming, if I want to paint them later.
Examining the Bluebonnets and other Texas wildflowers along the roadside.
After a little rain, the Bluebonnets and Indian Paintbrushes really popped out. More typical Texas things.
Of course, we had to see some cattle, when looking for typical Texas things.
These were some of the Bluebonnets we looked at beside the road.
Evening primroses are blooming profusely.
Home On The Range-Where the deer and the antelope play. I sing this to my grandsons every time we pass this place. This was a "drive by", but I couldn't do much with the car bouncing. Had to finish this up at home. The deer and the antelope were really too far away for me to see them very well, so I've just indicated them.
These are my sketches. I added some photos as well, to document the day.
I'm glad to hear that Michael did the Sketch Crawl in Calvert. Looking forward to seeing his work, and that of everyone else who participated.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

You had a really full day!!! Wonderful photos and sketches!!!
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by granny c »

Thank you, Carol and Joan. I did record the day! I just wish that others would have come out too. But, it was a busy time with art shows and people getting ready for Easter. Maybe next time.
There was a man who sketched in Calvert. He is going to post his work.
Looking forward to the next one!
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

Wow! so many sketches you have done and they are all so gorgeous :D Love especially toddler and grandpa,a young man dressed all in black,Lunch and the last one.I also enjoyed those lovely photos.
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by granny c »

Thank you, Kumi. I tried to document most of my Sketch Crawl day. Hope that others will join me for the next one!

Return to “22nd World Wide SketchCrawl”