São Paulo - BRAZIL [Results]

Saturday January 10th 2009
Montalvo Machado
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

São Paulo - BRAZIL [Results]

Post by Montalvo Machado »

Hello WW Sketchcrawlers!

First of all, thanks, congrats, bows and cheers to Enrico and the moderators for all the hard work behind the scenes, and for promoting this global event so smoothly.

What an incredible day, 95 drawing spots all over the world!

This was our first Sketchcrawl in São Paulo, and I had a reservation for 20 on Bar Genésio at noon, and I hopefully thought we'd go a bit beyond that, so I printed numbered stickers with WWSC logos and a place for the name, so we could get to know each other's names without asking.

Just in case, I printed 80 of them. Much to my suprise, they were all gone in half an hour, and people kept asking for more.

In 40 minutes we had taken the bar by storm, and every table inside and out the place was taken. At 1:30 we were leaving the place in a group of 120 crawlers!

Enrico, please tell me if that is a world record!

There was a reporter and a photographer from a big national newspaper covering most of the event, it will be on the newstands tomorrow (monday)! Look up for "O Estado de São Paulo" in the "CIDADES" section, into "Caderno 2".

We headed to an interesting spot, called "Batman Alley", a sort of a small crossroads where each and every inch of wall is covered with graffiti. My son was a bit disappointed for not finding the bat cave.

We went on crawling around the neighborhood, our mood as bright as the weather. It just couldn't get any better.

By the end of the afternoon we got to a small park, and the ones who stayed until the end were gifted with a golden sunset.

And then, beer for the braves who endured 12 hours of sketchcrawling.

Not many sketches so far, I'm still waiting for the guys to e-mail me their pieces, but here we go.
(All linked names lead to our Sketchcrawl Brazil Flickr address. More photos and drawings will be posted there, as they keep coming to me)
From Ale Eschenbach:
From André Valente:
From Tarsis Cruz:
From Montalvo Machado:
From Eduardo Bajzek:
And the donations, which will go now to entities that takes care of children with cancer (GRAAC, AACC and CAMHP) through a contact we had with Cidade Escola Aprendiz.

Crawlers from across the globe, the feeling of being with you all in this incredible event was the best. You have been there, you know what I mean.

Thank you all !

Montalvo Machado
Sketcheria
Last edited by Montalvo Machado on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: São Paulo - BRAZIL [Results]

Post by donnam »

Montalvo--I am absolutely blown away by your first sketchcrawl and the number of people that you managed to recruit for this event. Absolutely INCREDIBLE!!! You win, you win! The photos and the sketches posted thus far, are really wonderful. So glad you all have joined the sketchers--a big welcome!

BTW, how on earth did you get than many people?
Montalvo Machado
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Hi Donnam,

Thanks so much for the warm welcoming!

The fact is that I was just as surprised as you are, when I looked around the crowded bar, and figured that each and everyone there was a sketchcrawler. The Bar Genésio was empty when I got in, at noon. Half an hour later all the tables were taken, inside and out, people standing outside, some folks were at the Bar Filial, just across the street, because there were no chairs left at our place. Most of these people I have never met before... Man, what a beautiful mess we made, hehe.

It was all made through a blog networking, I started it all at the Sketcheria in early november, then some folks spread the word on their own blogs and lists, e-mails, schools, etc, and then, BANG! We were more than a hundred people walking down the streets, it was a massive group, from corner to corner, unbelievable, a beautiful scene.

I think everyone here was craving for an opportunity to go out and draw, and all that was needed was a date and a place. I fired them up, and they came over.

I have absolutely no idea on how many folks will show up next time, but just in case I'll print 200 stickers...

Nice images you got there as well, I have never been to Arizona, but it sure is on my wishlist.

Bye, and take care
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Montalvo 120!!!?? WOW! :clap: Go Sao Paulo!!!
The record it IS! Amazing ...and wonderful really ...
Beautiful job Montalvo ... and great to see the first sketches ...
look forward to see more!!!

e
Bruno Porto
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Bruno Porto »

CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!! Parabéns!!!!
Oporto
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Oporto »

Parabéns a todos os "Sketchers" Paulistas...Grande concentração incrível! :thumbup:
Aqui no Porto, Portugal foi pequena, mas com tendência para crescer, esperamos chegar ao vosso patamar...
Abraço. João

http://ilustrabrandao.blogspot.com/
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

Montalvo
WOWOW GO! Sao paulo!!!
yes Awesome :clap:
Great Hosting Montalvo.
so, How to get 120 people???? only forum??
and thank you for the nice fotos!
It's seems like happy crawl!

Ale Eschenbach
I like quick style.
especially back wall!

André Valente
Great color!
It's seems like the movie poster!!
awesome!

Tarsis Cruz
Nice line sketch!
I like quick style!

Montalvo Machado
It is a good sketch with the appearance of solidity very much.
and I like the brown pen work!!

Eduardo Bajzek
Nice simple colors.
I think that a blue accent is very good.
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

Andre Valente
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Andre Valente »

Thanks a lot, PaintMonster.
It's a notebook with red pages, it forces me to think a little more. While everyone was under the sun some of us stayed at the bar sketching and drinking. (I accidentally spilled some beer on this sketch, but i think it adds to its aura - it was watercolor without water :wink: )

And we were all surprised with the crowd that gathered. Montalvo's right, we're just hungering for sketching over here.

Valeu, Montalvo. It was just great, wholesome, fun. Don't know if there will always be 120, but you can count me in for the next ones :D
TETSU
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by TETSU »

WOWOW GO! Sao paulo!!! :clap:
yes Awesome
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

Amazing!!! :shock:
Feels a lot festive atmosphere from the photos and colores of the sketches! Superb! Every one.
Montalvo Machado
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Hi all,

It is such a delight to go flipping through the result posts of all the sketchcrawlers in this forum, and getting to see cities and people through their eyes.

I just updated the last image of the post with a picture of the donations we had from our group, and the links for the entities we are going to help with these goods.

- Enrico - Thanks so much, maestro! Now it is official, I'll tell the guys, and post more images on Flickr as soon as they come.

- Bruno Porto - Obrigado. CLAP CLAP CLAP to all the 120 folks who showed up!

- João - Obrigado. Estive em Portugal há pouco mais de um ano, mas não deu para conhecer Porto. Pretendo voltar, e quem sabe eu me junto a vocês em uma futura edição.

- Paint Monster - Thanks for your kind words, I'll just put on some colors on my sketches and post some more. It's been quite a new adventure for me to take sketchbooks around, I didn't have that habit a couple of years ago, and drawing in red as a starting point is part of that discovery. The red tracing goes along just fine with some opaque pen I use during the coloring stages. BTW, loved your work, the power of synthesis. Wish I could get there some day.

- Tarsis - Obrigado. Como sempre eu quero dar uma finalizada nos trabalhos, mas falta aprender que sketchbook não é lugar de arte final. Eita dilema...

André - Valeuzasso, it was great having you there, and I'll talk to you soon about the book making workshops. Bebel, Diego and Alceu would have loved being with us, maybe next time. Thanks for the movie poster comment :)

Tetsu - WOW indeed, I lost count how many times I said that during our meeting. For the number of people and for the beautiful sketchbooks people brought along as well. WOW!

Kumi - It was far more than I expected, in every way. It was beautiful to see all those people drawing on their laps, and imagine the same was happening all over the world. Quite a bonding experience, I'll never forget that day. Taking the pictures was the easiest part, there was magic everywhere I looked. Thank you for the post!

And a friend of ours, a fantastic cartoonist called DaCosta just posted a video on YouTube, with a compilation of images from their participation.

Bye all

Montalvo
Sketcheria
Last edited by Montalvo Machado on Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

120 sketchcrawlers!!!!!!!!!!!!! Impressive turnout! I enjoyed seeing the photos and the sketches that were posted so far...good work!!! Excellent idea to collect food for charity too! :clap:
fredpalacio
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

fredpalacio: São Paulo - BRAZIL [Results]

Post by fredpalacio »

Bom dia Crawlers !!!

Enrico -- well has been a great time saturday...Fanatastic experience :thumbup: , I started at 12.00 pm and end up at 23.59 in a bar...still sketching with Rafa....hope we can do that each month !!!!
Montalvo -- I tried to post you some of the pics...I get a reply that your mailbox is Full !!! So post came back to me.
I put some pic on my flickr !
Sao Paulistanos - so much people and to less time to know each other...hope to see your post and hope also to see you again next Crawl !

some more sketchcrawl 21 foto on :arrow: flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/31187727@N ... 191891314/ !!
some other stuff on :arrow: http://fredpalacio.blogspot.com/

thx Fredpalacio !!!
Juny
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Juny »

Arround 120 Sketchcrawlers!?
Great!
I want to attend São Paulo group and to see the city!
All sketchs are great!
I want to see 120 sketchs!!!

Thank you!
Blog: NewNote
eclecticbox
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eclecticbox »

120 SketchCrawlers!!!
Impressive indeed!!!

I agree with Juni, we want to see (at least;) 120 sketches!!! :lol:
The ones posted so far are really nice!!! So nice to see the graffiti alley pictures as well, over here we are loosing them by the minute, no that many legal wall left to paint on colourful murals... :(

All the best from Barcelona, Spain.

EclecticBox
http://www.eclecticboxblog.blogspot.com/

Return to “21st World Wide SketchCrawl”