Seattle - Results

Saturday January 10th 2009
Tyler Street
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Seattle - Results

Post by Tyler Street »

I don't think this time was a record, though it was impressive turnout for a January day after a spate of wild weather (subnormal cold, wilder-than-usual wind, blizzards, ice, and then floods last week). I think we had at least 15 this time but there were as many as 24 or 25, I think, when we SketchCrawled at the Pike Place Market in October. Not everybody got into the picture for that one, and I'm not sure everyone was in the picture this time either! It grows, it grows....! It was a great pleasure! A wonderful group of people made amazing drawings that were shared at the Solstice Cafe and that have not (yet! hint hint!!) been posted. Yet. Guy, I must see your giant squirrel up here! and your portrait of Bill, to pair up with his portrait of you.

Here's my sketch of the cherry trees in the quad:
Image.
Beth was drawing from Raitt Hall across the Quad; Bill, Guy, and Edwin from the stairs at the top of the Quad, where I joined them and did a quick one that got rained on, looking down the quad toward Red Square. I could just see the Barnett Newman sculpture "Broken Obelisk," which the sculptor dedicated to the memory of Martin Luther King (its twins are at the Rothko Chapel in Houston and MOMA in NY). He said, “The Obelisk is concerned with life and I hope that I have transformed its tragic content into a glimpse of the sublime.”
Then we went inside to thaw out and the five of us did a "Portrait Party": each drew the person on the right -- at first with some self-deprecating chat and laughter. I made a couple of attempts at drawing Edwin:
When we turned to the left and began a new portrait, very soon our concentration was quiet and powerful: I really felt buoyed up and joyful! I drew Beth drawing --
-- then drew her again: not as beautiful as she really is (my oldest friend!) but I loved drawing her clouds of hair!
quirkyartist
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by quirkyartist »

Seattle WINS. Fantastic drawings and so diverse. I always love Gabi's urban landscapes, and there are some other great ones there too. Amazing perspective. Love the portraits too! Well done all of you.
Wendy in Sydney
beth
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by beth »

I have to second Teresa's request to see Guy's giant squirrel posted. Also, there are a bunch more of you I enjoyed seeing Saturday whose terrrrrriffic work is not up yet! Cannot wait to see it! Please share these with us! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
lbeefus
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lbeefus »

Xiaoxuan,

The problem is that those are links to the page that the image is on, rather than to the image itself. I'm not sure Picasa lets you link the images directly, the way flickr does.

I just went to http://picasaweb.google.com/lindyblues. ... 5200430754

From there, I was able to look at all the images. They look great! Glad to see somebody else drew the Inspiration statue! :)
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

xiaoxuan's posts are fixed....

Last edited by littlefish on Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

LOL, I fixed her posts :)

I'm not happy with any of mine, but i will post some :P later.... they are on paper and need to be converted to pixels.
lbeefus wrote:Xiaoxuan,

The problem is that those are links to the page that the image is on, rather than to the image itself. I'm not sure Picasa lets you link the images directly, the way flickr does.

I just went to http://picasaweb.google.com/lindyblues. ... 5200430754

From there, I was able to look at all the images. They look great! Glad to see somebody else drew the Inspiration statue! :)
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

beth wrote:I have to second Teresa's request to see Guy's giant squirrel posted. Also, there are a bunch more of you I enjoyed seeing Saturday whose terrrrrriffic work is not up yet! Cannot wait to see it! Please share these with us! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Oh I love that giant squirrel!!! I want to see it online~~~

now i have to go read other posts.... :?
Josh Frost
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Josh Frost »

Hey everyone great work!!! I am having complications with my computer so I am not sure i will be able to post my stuff! :(

I will keep at it and post it asap! Great turn out! I'm glade you all like the suggestion! See you all in April!

- Josh Frost
Sketch Pistols
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Sketch Pistols »

Awesome drawings Sketch Crawers! I can't wait to join you guys for the next one! Sketch Pistols Seattle went to Jules Mae's Saloon in Georgetown, and I have the first few examples:
Here's one from me, I wanted to paint it but ran out of time.
Courtesy of Rick Hudson
Courtesy of Rick Hudson

There's more to come...we had a great time!

Cheers,
Dave Adams
Sketch Pistols Seattle
marcello
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by marcello »

very impressive work!!! :thumbup:
Tyler Street
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Tyler Street »

Sketch Pistols, yay for you! Nice work! I think I'm going to have to try pencil (and erase!) next time. You all do such beautiful work!
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

I can feel happiness from the photos and skeches of every one!

beth - Nice profile;I like 4th take.
lbeefus - Very clean line and stylish coloring. So beautiful!
billfulton -I like your nice warm coloring.Good ambience!
gabi campanario - WOW as usual! I wonder how you can draw such elaborate buildings so accurately. :shock:
leobro - I'm sure that drawing this subject must be very time consuming!But it worth drawing. Very beautiful.
rex-craft7 - Nice pencil work!
Tyler Street - I like the 1st one.Good depiction of trunks.
xiaoxuan ?? - I like 6th one very much.
Sketch Pistols - Nice black and white skeches!
Last edited by kumi matsukawa on Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
beth
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by beth »

kumi, thanks for your kind remarks and the link to your Flickr site! I love all your sketches, especially the casual warmth of your coffee shop and the fluid grace of Muko-jima Street.
stephnet
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by stephnet »

Better late than never!

Hi everyone, I really enjoyed meeting everyone and being part of my first SketchCrawl. I look forward to the next one! I felt very rusty at first, but started to get my style back a little ways in.

Cheers,

Stephanie

Return to “21st World Wide SketchCrawl”