Bryan/CS/Pt Lavaca/Brazos Valley, Texas [Results]

Saturday October 25th 2008
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Bryan/CS/Pt Lavaca/Brazos Valley, Texas [Results]

Post by granny c »

My grandson, Ashton, age 11, and I went to downtown Bryan to the designated meeting place for the Sketch Crawl Saturday morning, about 8:45. I was running about 15 minutes late because I had to catch my 22 year old cat to give her medicine before I could leave. I had given a time of 8:30. However, there was no one around and the sign on the shop window said that they didn't open until 10.
My "driver", Ashton's mom, took us to the LaSalle Hotel, our secondary meeting place, but we didn't see anyone out there, either. I asked my daughter to drive us over to Texas A&M Universtiy where they were having a Chemistry Show. However, we couldn't get anywhere close to the building. I couldn't do all that walking with my bad knees, so we came home.
Ashton rode his bike and I walked a bit down a country lane to see if we could see some scenery that is typical of the Brazos Valley. We took some photos, then came back to our deck where we set up our drawing and painting things. We spent the morning sketching.
I tried to remember an Art Deco old bank building that I had seen downtown, and Ashton chose to design a ship, the SS Trinity.
Pluto, our dog, joined us while we ate sandwiches out on the deck at lunch time.
I tried to encourage Ashton to draw something that he saw. But, he is a bit of a perfectionist and doesn't want to risk making a mistake. We talked about the interesting Chinaberry tree by the road, and the changing light. I gave him a sponge and watercolors, and we painted the tree. That way, he could play around and not worry about "errors". He did a good job of keeping his watercolors thin, and examining the tree. I looked at the changing color and light on the tree as I worked with a wide brush.
We ended the day with Ashton riding his bike and me sitting on the deck, sketching.
My sister participated in the Sketch Crawl, alone, on the Texas Gulf Coast. She was just here last week for a Plein Aire Painting workshop, so this was too soon for her to come back. Every few weeks when she is here, we go to our hometown and do our own "mini sketch crawls" there. It was too soon for her to come back again for this Crawl. So, I am adding her pictures with our's.
I am disappointed that, after all the people who I told about the Sketch Crawl, that we didn't have more participation. I haven't heard if anyone showed up at the meeting place in Calvert, or if anyone worked in the other communities of our area. But, I did have some quality time with my grandson, got in some practice, and we had a truly gorgeous day to work outdoors. Perfect temperature, no wind, lots of sunshine, but shade where we needed it.
Oh, well. Maybe next time.
If we did miss anyone who might have showed up here, I apologize for not being able to find you. I hope that we did get more people working to draw the Brazos Valley, and that we can get a group together for January.

Here are Barbara's sketches from Port Lavaca, Texas.

granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Bryan/CS/Pt Lavaca/Brazos Valley, Texas [Results]

Post by granny c »

Sketch Crawling in the Brazos Valley:

A beautiful day on a quiet country lane.

Cattle were back near the woods in this pasture.

There is an oil well back in the trees.

Ashton sketching the SS Trinity.

The SS Trinity by Ashton

Cecelia sketching

Old Bryan Art Deco Bank Building

Country Mail Box

Photo of country mail box

Young girls out wallking on a Saturday afternoon

Couple walking their dogs on a country lane

Pluto practicing sitting during lunch.

We chose watercolors to paint this Chinaberry tree in the afternoon.

Ashton using watercolors to paint the Chinaberry tree.

Ashton's Chinaberry Tree

Cecelia paints the Chinaberry Tree

Cecelia's Chinaberry Tree (study)

Ashton on his bike

We ended the day with Ashton happily riding his bike while I sat on the deck and sketched.
sketchgurl
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sketchgurl »

Beautiful colors on the Chinaberry tree. Good work from Ashton too.
kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

hello,I enjoied your story,works,and photos very much.All of them gave me an atmosphere of peace and that tells that you had such a happy time with your people. kumi from Japan. :D
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by granny c »

Thank you, Sketchgurl.
I like our Chinaberry trees better, now that I put them up and look at them at a distance. I was sitting with my back to the tree and had to keep turning around to look at it. Not the best way to paint something.
And thank you, Kumi.
We certainly did have a quiet and peaceful, but good day. A lot of people have told me that they envy where I live because it is so peaceful here.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Barbara - Lovely sketches of the palms, buildings, and water.

Cecelia - Love how much detail you were able to get in sketching the people walking. Good job!

Ashton - Cool sketching!!! I love your ship and the chinaberry tree. Looks like you had a fun day!
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

Nice plants, sky and nature overall... it looks like a lovely place to be and draw
you've really had your time of fun - thanks for sharing, and photos too. Cheers!

Return to “20th World Wide SketchCrawl”