Northern New Jersey, USA [RESULTS]

Saturday October 25th 2008
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Northern New Jersey, USA [RESULTS]

Post by Joan T »

My sister, Michelle, and I did the SketchCrawl together today near her house in NJ. The forecast was for rain (heavy at times) so we had to come up with a plan to keep dry. We headed to the Wildlife Center in Wycoff first. There was a sheltered gazebo with benches and a table that kept us comfy and dry for a while. We were facing the lake with the autumn colors in bloom on the trees.

Our second stop was the Hermitage in Hohokus, NJ. The Hermitage is a historic building that housed some of George Washington's army during the Revolutionary War. Now it is used for events and shows. I think old buildings have a lot of character. I concentrated on just a small part of the building. This time we had to sketch and paint from inside the car since it was raining.

Our final stop was Roessler's Nursery in Allendale, NJ. We sat in the car again since it was now pouring! I had to turn the winshield wipers on from time to time so we could see what we were painting. We were parked right in front of a pumpkin patch...very seasonal!

Last edited by Joan T on Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
PaintMonster
Japan

Re: Northern New Jersey, USA

Post by PaintMonster »

Joan T
waaaao these are super beautiful autumn images!
I especially like 3rd pumpkin works! it's sweet!

and I think.....when you add the [RESULTS] of title after "Northern New Jersey, USA",
It will be more easy to find your beautiful sketches! :wink:
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Re: Northern New Jersey, USA

Post by mhimeswc »

Here's my take on our day sketchcrawling in the rain.

The pond at the James McFaul Environmental Center, better known to locals as "the Wildlife Center".

This is the side of the Hermitage - the only part we could see from the car. It's an interesting "gingerbread" house that's fun to draw, especially if you are perspectively challenged.

Lots of pumpkins, but hard to see them clearly through the downpour.
mugitea
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: Northern New Jersey, USA [RESULTS]

Post by mugitea »

Your autumn sketches are so beautiful! I once lived in Hackettstown, NJ for 10 years, so I felt at home viewing your sketches.

Linda
http://www.lindabachrach.com
eyes
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by eyes »

Congratulations, Michelle and Joan. You did fantastic crawl despite the rain. I could not tell that you two struggle with the rain at all.

Joan: Beautiful ink work. I love all three. They all are good to be printed as greeting cards.
Michelle: Lovely works. I love the row of pumpkins of all kinds and sizes. Awesome leaves too.

Two thumbs up from me,

Ai
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Rain, what rain? Don't see it, can't tell you had to fight it--love all of those pumpkins!
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

So pretty Joan!!! Makes me miss autumn ... :)
we're having an indian summer in SF now ...

thanks for sharing !!

e
dave c
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by dave c »

Great work Michelle and Joan. You really captured the feeling of autumn. Love the pumkins
sumacm
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sumacm »

Lovely seasonal sketches! Will have to check out those places next time I'm in the Garden State!
Pine Cone
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Pine Cone »

Gorgeous Sketchcrawl results. They are sublime and full of beauty. I can see the heightened sweetness of the colors that the fall rains always bring. Thank you for sharing these picturesque views of your corner of the world, and thank you for participating in such a peaceful global activity.
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

i am envious of those wonderful autumnal colours! I love the subtlety of these drawings though, both joan and mhimeswtc. Nice work! Well done for sketching in the rain.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Paint Monster - Thanks. Autumn sketches were fun even in the rain.

Linda - Thanks. Glad they made you think of your days in NJ.

Ai - I should have taken a photo from inside the car with the rain pouring down so people could see the challenging view. Thanks.

Donnam - Rain is too hard to sketch!!! Thanks.

Enrico - Thanks. Take the SF warm weather and enjoy it while it lasts!

Dave - Thanks. It is definitely autumnal here.

Sumacm - Hard to find places to sit and sketch from the car when you can't sit outside. Parking lots don't have the greatest views. lol Thanks.

Pine Cone - Thanks for coming over from the scavenger hunt to look. This is fun to do.

Pete - We were able to keep dry. Thanks for looking and commenting!
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Thanks, everyone. When Joan arrived at my house, we ran through a few places where we thought we could sketch from the car. We did the first sketch of the pond while sitting in a gazebo. It was only drizzling then. When we sketched the Hermitage, it was raining a little harder, and we managed to get a parking spot where we had a decent view of the side of the building. The pumpkins were a challenge. By that time it was pouring. Every time Joan saw me squinting to see what I was sketching, she put the wipers on for a few minutes to clear the windshield. Then I would quickly zero in on one of the pumpkins and sketch until the window was too wet to see through again. I think we managed to do quite well considering. :lol:
g.jeanne
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by g.jeanne »

Great job ladies. I always enjoy looking at your watercolors. Sorry you had to fight the rain. Kudos to you both for persevering. Jeanne
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Jeanne - Thanks. I think having someone else with you makes you want to continue and not throw in the towel. We had tried one more indoor sketching area - a Barnes & Noble's, but with all the rain it was too crowded and there was nowhere to sit. Coffee would have been nice at that point, but we quit and headed home.

Return to “20th World Wide SketchCrawl”