Bryan, Texas [Results]

Saturday March 29th 2008
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Bryan, Texas [Results]

Post by granny c »

I'm new, too, and haven't got this all figured out yet. I'm having trouble posting images on my blog for the past couple of days, but have a couple that I had to do in separate posts.
I finally did some of our work as a slide show and that worked. Does that count or do I need to send separte images?

My sister started out sketching while waiting for the kolache shop in Calvert, Texas to open. She brought us fresh baked kolaches to eat as we drove to downtown Bryan to sketch. We met at a gallery there, then picked a spot to spend the morning. There was my 11 year old grandson, who was thinking of breakfast and a new toy that he wants-a light sabre! And my sister and myself. Two other ladies from a neigboring county were there, but we didn't get to visit with them. Also, I saw another lady drawing. So we don't know exactly who all participated.
My sister had to leave at noon, and I had intended to go elsewhere and sketch some more. But I decided to darken up what I had already done, and take a nap!

When is the next one going to be?
We had a lot of interest, but got the word out late, after people already had plans. With more notice, we should have a much larger turnout.
Everyone I've talked to thinks it is a wonderful idea!

Sketch Crawl in Calvert, Texas

Bryan Sketches

Edit by Seeker/Gus
Last edited by granny c on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

Hi granny c,

I have renamed and moved your post to this section of the forum. I have also 'linked' your images so they display directly here.

You can edit your title (town) If what I selected is not correct.

The best way to 'link' images is by using separate images, typically you would post the image in your blog or other photo service first then link them after you have created the post.

If you click on the edit button you will be able to see how I linked them.
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

More Bryan Sketchs

Post by granny c »

This is my watercolor of the cherry kolache that Barbara brought me from Calvert.

Barbara Started the Day in Calvert, Texas

Barbara sketched Highway 6 looking south while she was waiting for Zamykal Kolache Shop to open.

Other Sketchers Downtown Bryan

Ashton Drawing

Ashton's Drawing of a Light Sabre
Ashton was interested in a new light sabre that he wants, and food. So, he drew a light sabre.

Bryan Street Scene (oil) by Barbara
This is Main Street in Bryan, looking north, from between the old Queen and the Palace theatres.

Barbara At Work
Barbara set up her plein aire equipment to paint a street scene.

Skateboarder
As I sketched, this young man whizzed in front of me, enjoying his skateboard on a Saturday morning.

Skateboarder with Cell Phone
I couldn't resist drawing the action as he did a few tricks on the skateboard, and even talked on his cell phone.

Bryan Signs
These are some of the signs that were around me as I sat in front of the Palace Theatre, sketching. The barber shop was beside us, the Charles Hotel was just down the sidewalk. And, of course, the crown on the Queen Theatre catches a lot of attention. We enjoyed listening to the Mourning Doves that seemed to be somewhere around the old Queen, and we watched the pigeons that perched and walked along the top of the Queen Theatre.

Old Bank Flag

LaSalle Hotel and Howell Building
The LaSalle Hotel and the Howell Building, are two of the interesting old buildings that have been restored and revived in downtown Bryan.

LaSalle Hotel
The LaSalle is a restored hotel in downtown Bryan.

Where We Drew
We started out by registering at the Frame Gallery, then picked a spot to work on Main Street. Refreshments were available all around us, including in the LaSalle Hotel Coffee Shop/Cafe. Barbara had to leave at noon. As we left downtown, we saw three other people sketching. Before we got to my house, we passed by Indian Paintbrushes and Bluebonnets in bloom near an oil well. I intended to go out and sketch more in the afternoon, but, instead, worked on darkening and scanning our drawings. After the storm on Friday night, I was short on sleep and just had to take a nap.
Last edited by granny c on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:54 pm, edited 13 times in total.
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by granny c »

We're looking forward to the next one, with a bigger response! :D
Last edited by granny c on Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

I like the baby one (ashton?) and the oil painting!
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by granny c »

Thank you, Littlefish.
I still haven't figured out what I did wrong in trying to post my pictures.
My sister did the painting of the street scene. I did the sketch of Ashton drawing. He still has his baby face, but he is a young man of 11 now. :) He has astounded me since he was a toddler with his understanding of things like perspective and color theory! As a retired art teacher, I really try to encourage the kids- and everyone, for that matter.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

hi Granny C, I think the problem might be blogger ... not positive ... but some sites won't allow for linking like this ....
I know that an account on Flickr probably won't give you any of these problems linking to images ...

Seeker (our tech expert around here) any other suggestions?

e
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

granny c,

When you upload images via blogger, the application generates a thumbnail (the image we actually see displayed in the main page of your blog) is a smaller representation of your original image.

This is the original image URL:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_fKYIKjh37Vk/R_f ... olache.jpg

This is the thumbnail URL:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_fKYIKjh37Vk/R_f ... olache.jpg

Blogger will not allow you to display the original image outside of blogger.
From the Blogger help/images
"The images we host for you can only be displayed on Blog*Spot sites."

It will however (at least for right now) allow you to link to the thumbnail. If you notice the links are fairly similar but are a little different. Make sure to use the image location of the thumbnail.
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
granny c
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Re: Bryan, Texas [Results]

Post by granny c »

After weeks, I think that I finally got my pictures added. I never could get them to work from my blog. Couldn't seem to get the url of the thumbnails.
:idea: So, I set up a Flickr page.

Thanks to all of you who tried to help me! Hope I can remember what to do next time! I :oops:

Now, my question is, should I erase all those earlier posts that were trying to figure this out?

Return to “18th World Wide SketchCrawl”