Fort Lee, New Jersey, USA [Results]

Saturday March 29th 2008
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Fort Lee, New Jersey, USA [Results]

Post by mhimeswc »

This was my second SketchCrawl. My sister, Joan, and I went to the Fort Lee Historic Park for this one. I had read that there was an overlook where you could see the George Washington Bridge. As we left the parking lot and started to walk toward the visitor center I became aware of the bridge through the trees. It was right there, in my face - and I mean RIGHT THERE! We found a bench to sit on and laughed at the prospect of trying to sketch this bridge that was literally sitting in our laps.

After sketching the bridge we found a gentleman dressed in period clothes sewing a pair of "britches". He explained that he was using authentic fabric and thread from that period, and also told us about the soldier's hut and cannons nearby. We got quite a history lesson while we sketched.

George Washington Bridge

Sewing
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Cannon

We left the park to see if we could find a new place to sketch, and settled on The Celery Farm in Allendale, NJ. This used to be a real celery farm years ago, and now is frequented by bird watchers. We hiked to one of the platforms overlooking the marsh and I did this watercolor pencil sketch.
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

nice sketches.
I like color one!
It has beautiful color!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Sketchcrawling with you yesterday was fun!! Your bridge came out really great! I like the cannon too, as well as the soldier. Great job on the one of the celery farm. The wc pencils were perfect for that. Hope you have time to load my sketches.
JamieWG
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by JamieWG »

Michelle, good for you for taking on that intimidating bridge! LOL....The figure and cannon are well done, and I love the color in the marsh sketch.

Jamie
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

The following are JOAN'S sketches, and her comments in quotes:

"I arrived before my sister, Michelle, got home, so I sketched on of the houses in her neighborhood.

Then we went to Ft. Lee Historic Park where we had this wonderful view of the George Washington Bridge. It was quite a challenge to sketch it."

"Of course at the park they had one of those viewers where you put in 25 cents and can see everything up close."

We walked around the grounds of the Ft. Lee Historic Park and came across a "soldier" dressed in period clothing sewing a new pair of britches. He graciously posed for us.
Last edited by mhimeswc on Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

"On one of the outside tables there were artifacts from the Revolutionary War era. I sketched the shoes and rope on one of the tables.

Our last sketching stop was the celery farm near my sister's house. Most people there were viewing the birds, but we sat on one of the viewing platforms and sketched the marsh itself. I did get to include one of the birds hiding in the tall grass."

Return to “18th World Wide SketchCrawl”