San Francisco-USA [RESULTS]

Saturday March 29th 2008
John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John D »

Hi Annika --
First, you should tell Paul that he put a big X through the fish that I thought was most interesting and inventive. Lesson: Don't give up. You never know what other people will like. Then you can tell Linus that the drawing he did shows great care in its making. Keep going. Bravo!

To answer your question, I use a bamboo pen that gets dipped in one of two bottles. The first bottle contains a more concentrated solution of ink that began life as black and the other bottle is really just left over dirty water from previous sessions with ink that began as a kind of dark red color. I use a squirrel brush for the wash areas. I haven't sharpened the tip of the pen lately which gives it a very blunt line quality. I work on pieces of Bristol paper that measures 28 X 36 cm.

Here's a kind of blurry photo of the tools and a few more of the sketches I did that day:

And yes, it's a self portrait from a while back when I had a beard.
John Deckert
www.johnd.com
annelito
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by annelito »

John D wrote:Hi Annika --
First, you should tell Paul that he put a big X through the fish that I thought was most interesting and inventive. Lesson: Don't give up. You never know what other people will like. Then you can tell Linus that the drawing he did shows great care in its making. Keep going. Bravo!

To answer your question, I use a bamboo pen that gets dipped in one of two bottles. The first bottle contains a more concentrated solution of ink that began life as black and the other bottle is really just left over dirty water from previous sessions with ink that began as a kind of dark red color. I use a squirrel brush for the wash areas. I haven't sharpened the tip of the pen lately which gives it a very blunt line quality. I work on pieces of Bristol paper that measures 28 X 36 cm.

And yes, it's a self portrait from a while back when I had a beard.
I will tell Paul! He didn't want to scan that fish with the X over it in the first place, it was his mother who was persistent! :)
Both Paul and Linus are teenagers and were very shy and quiet but it was great that they joined us. Hopefully they will join us the next time too.

Thanks for the info on your materials. Good to see that someone uses such "primitive" tools (meaning the bamboo pen), your sketches look brilliant. And I really like the colors you chose for them.
Been browsing your website and you are such a talent! Amazing, wish I had at least half of your talent. :-D

And hey, you should let that beard grow back! Looks wild and nice at the same time.
raison
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by raison »

perhaps i shouldn't wait months to post my results?

it's an honor to be caught in the sketchbooks of biscuit maker and gary and other talented artists!

i started the day in tahoe... since i had some urgent business to attend to. then i drove the 220 or so miles to the chocolate square to complete the day with the SF sketchcrawlers.

i'd been working on some drawings during the week off and on in the bay area and tried to get some final reference and feedback from some seasoned backcountry skiers i once used to skin up the mountains with. here's one of my drawings:

i've finally taken the plunge and made a public blog! i know i should code and design my own, but i just don't have the inclination at the moment. you can see a few more southshore scenes (with a whippet!) there. http://blog.feliciachamberlain.com

i've managed to complete two digital sketches so far. i am slowly working on the most detailed, the Season of Us.

Here's one i call cupcake...

Here's the ubiquitous marker for the square. It certainly lacks the luster of jay shuster's drawing...

i still miss some of my old scsi hardware and don't like my current scanner, so i usually just use my sketchbook as reference and draw directly onto the computer these days. i don't use any filters... i just draw with the pen tool and stylus. i draw like you'd cut paper and make collages, layering shapes, line, and color to form the image. it does take its time.

aussi...

fred (blob), merci encore du chocolat !
We are living in a time when civilization has become highly expert in the art of destroying human beings and increasingly weak in its power to bring meaning to their lives. --Ben Shahn
budamonsta
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by budamonsta »

Wow so much great stuff to see. I always enjoy sketchcrawl, drawing, seeing old faces and meeting new people while getting some fresh air and seeing more of the Bay Area. you can't go wrong

Here are my results for the day:

John D: great meeting you and nice work.

Danny: Nice water colors can't wait to see more. Now your getting me to want to do some more water color.

jamesO3: Great stuff

liamlightyear: Nice stuff and the kid in the stroller is still great

And to everyone else really nice work as always
Last edited by budamonsta on Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CrawlerSC
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by CrawlerSC »

Wow, a lot of great work to see and learn from. This was my first Crawl but I will be back for more.
Here are some of my sketches:

-Eric
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

Here are my sketches from last weekend. What a great day!

Thank you everyone for posting your sketches. I am always amazed and delighted by how different we all capture the same subjects. Very inspiring!

-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***
John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John D »

We all did
a good mess
of work.

These Sketchcrawl pages
are amazing.
John Deckert
www.johnd.com
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Hey ! I recognize that guy Martha ... ;)

Yes indeed ... what an amazing collection of sketches ... great job everyone!

e
nonie
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by nonie »

Holy crap there's a lot of good work in here! I finally scanned my contribution...

killmax
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by killmax »

funny watercolour Martha!
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

:shock: woOOAAHHHHHH
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

sorry for the delay with comments - I have a family member undergoing some nasty health issues - viewing the sketches again has been good for me.

blob
Very nice people sketches

LemoniKate
very nice, i like the palm tree but the rocks call my attention as well

Danny
Didn't realize I was talking to the 'Danny' of the forum :) I am glad you decided to post your work, I like the coit tower the most with the different shades of green.

Biscuit Maker

Very nice stuff, so simple, I see those images and think 'i was there' :) nice notebooks

jamesO3
You were a busy sketcher that day, everytime I saw you, you were at it

enrico
that tugboat looks great, like it very much - also like the other two but the tugboat is very nice

ptk2008
Great sketches, laughed a couple of times, when i saw those captions you included (the dog and the couple, and continuity by including the couple in another sketch :) )

splinesmith
great faces, nice feel. I like the boats the most (last one) those watercolor pencils sure add a different feel. It was nice talking to you, hope to see you next time, yes my wife says im getting better ;)

Nino de Pan Blanco
looks like you were busy too, like the last one as well as the fourth sketch.

Jay Shuster
amazing lines, like all of them specially Fort Mason's building with the water effect, thank you for sharing

gary
very nice ship, plenty of lines to draw there, thank you for the tour

liamlightyear
great sketches of kids and people.. those kids were moving too fast for me :) except for the one that was sleeping. I didn't attempt it, glad you did.

AtomicBear
like your sketches as well, good idea to place the time

patsanimation
plenty of people sketches, very nice - thank you for sharing

frosti
nice variety of subjects, gives others a view into the location

britsketch
great expressions, I agree with you no reason to look unpleasant inside the Ghirardelli cafe :)

Eric Jones
nice colors in those two images, fixed the images for you so others can see them too.

raison
nice digital images, I like the first two the most. The first one begs to be a large format poster.

budamonsta
I like the various poses you choose to draw

CrawlerSC
Nice ship and bright colors, i like the last two the most

martha
watercolors by martha! I like the first two (would be nice to observe you - maybe i can learn some more) i like your style

nonie
great lines and expression, i like the last four the most
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
Eric Jones
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Eric Jones »

Thanks for fixing my links, Seeker! :D
Eric Jones
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Eric Jones »

CrawlerSC: Great colors! And your sketch of Ghirardelli Square is very solid -- well done!

martha: Lovely sketch of the Golden Gate & Aquatic Park; I also really like your "comic book page" approach on those last sketches, there.

nonie: The gesture in that first sketch is very nice -- very real! There's also an immediacy to you drawings that I like a lot. Great stuff!
blob
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by blob »

De rien , raison ;)

martha, I really love that comic book page style too. Great idea

Return to “18th World Wide SketchCrawl”