Post by Danny »

- MARC -

What happened to the rest!!?
Biscuit Maker
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Thank you for a lively Sketchcrawl 18!

Post by Biscuit Maker »

Thank you to all who showed up to brave the chilly day. It got sunny and warm in the end that sunglasses were necessary. I thought everyone was in high productivity this day--very motivated group.

A good number of new faces and I'm glad you all stuck around for the full experience. The sketchbook sharing part can be a little intimidating but it's only nerve-wracking the first time. After that you're forever broken of that phobia. I watched faces grow big enthusiastic smiles all through our sharing time.

People around us couldn't help but have wide smiles as well, having watched us grow diligently scribbling away all day to this happy throng exchanging drawing books. Amazing sight. Congratulations to all.

See you all in two months.

My offerings below. I decided to show the spreads, blank pages an' all. I wanted to see if the experience of leafing through a book will hold.

All the best to you all. You were all gloriously wonderful people to draw with.

R.

Oh, and I snapped a few pictures. They are right here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paperbiscu ... 316166962/

Sugoi!

fedeWES
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by fedeWES »

great sketches, compliments.. i hope some day to have a sketchcrawl in san francisco.. never been there (never been in america..), but i'd really like to visit it, and maybe sketch with you guys :)
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Danny, love the graphic nature of the second one, the pen and ink boat.
BiscuitMaker-how can you sketch that small (the boats) I love it
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

What a great day! It was nice to see some now familiar faces and meet new sketchers as well. I haven't scanned my sketches yet, but did post some pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24918578@N ... 322250835/
-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***
Eric Jones
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Eric Jones »

This was (sort of) my first SketchCrawl -- I say "sort of" because I didn't make it out to SF until 1:00 pm! So basically my friend and I saw no one sketching anywhere, and we just did our own thing, sketching away. It was still a great day, and both my friend and I fully intend to make it (on time!) to the next one. Can't wait to meet some of you there.

I'll post some of my contributions as soon as I get them scanned... :D
jamesO3
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by jamesO3 »

Wow! that was an amazing experience! This was my first sketchcrawl, so I was so happy to sketch and meet new people! When I arrived in the 'square' I felt a huge rush. So much positive energy, it was incredible. As I was drawing, I felt so relaxed and not tense at all, like I could draw anything with confidence :D When it came to the book-trading that's when i kinda got nervous and tense. As Ronnie was saying,"...can be a little intimidating but it's only nerve-wracking the first time. After that you're forever broken of that phobia." I felt so much better with much relief. I really wanted to say a special thanks to Enrico for this event happening, but I didn't get to see him. I am extremely grateful for this event and everyone I met! I will see everyone at the next one!

It was really fun sketching with different tools. I also had a lot of fun playing around with the different elements, within each scene, in a few of my sketches (adding a shadow, moving the shapes, adding characters in interesting spots :wink: ) I figure, the more I draw, the more I learn.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

View these sketches in Actual size:
http://jimmyoshea3.photoshop.com
its like flikr, but with an online version of photoshop for FREE!
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

beautiful work everybody !! Thanks for making these days so wonderful! Wish it was sunny like today ... but it still was really nice.

Awesome Ronnie ... thanks for posting the photos and the great watercolors ...

Here's a slightly better picture of the tug boat and the other couple pages I did ... man trees are hard ...
;)

IR
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by IR »

good work everyone!! I love marc_taro's line quality and enrico's beautiful watercolor.

I am sorry I miss this time coz I was too sick to go out....(still not feeling good now) ok.....need go back to sleep..... :cry: hope to see you guys next time.
ptk2008
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

SketchCrawl - San Francisco

Post by ptk2008 »

Great first time, it was a lot of fun!

Last edited by ptk2008 on Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

It was a lot of fun being out there with y'all. (Though as the folks would say back where I come from, "twas a bit nippy!")

John: beautiful renderings. I really like the colors.
Marc: wow…I love the strength of the drawings, with just enough of a splash of color that it ties everything together. Cool style.
Gus: nice color work…I hope your wife was impressed!
Fred: Nice sketches!
LemoniKate: Gorgeous…nice job braving the chilly conditions, and yet your subject matter looks so warm.
Danny: great work. I especially like the colored ones—I may have to try taking the green out of my watercolor set too! ☺
Ronnie: simply beautiful. There is such a freshness about your art.
Paul: very nice…an almost dreamy feel to it
Enrico: always a pleasure getting a look at your sketches…very nice work on the tug.
Ptk2008: Fun stuff! I especially love the little captions you put with the people (and the little dog, too) Nice loose style—you were bizzy!

Here are some of my observations:

John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions
John D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John D »

Marco -- I remember seeing your book. What an explosion of ink! Fantastic energy. Nice spatial layering and depth.
Seeker/Gus -- I remember talking with a big friendly fellow by that name. I like the simple and direct approach you have with watercolor. It's honest, plain-speaking kind of work with a child-like clarity and sense of wonderment.
Fred, the French Guy -- Nice structure and proportion to the figures. A kind of nervous searching quality in your line. I love that distinctive ballet of nature. It reminds me at once of drawing the wounds of trees in the forests around Paris many, many years ago. Les blessures aux arbres, tu sais? Il y a une beauté trés unique. Bien fait!
LemoniKate -- I like the full richness of color in your pieces.
Danny -- Bold compositions and some nice color work!
Biscuit Maker -- I like the intimate feeling your get from these small watercolors in a Moleskin book. Very personal and a delicate touch too. And thanks for the photos!
James03 -- Wow! you were all over the place, A lot of movement and action in your sketch style. It gives such an interesting sense of place and dense atmosphere.
Enrico -- I'm very glad you thought to rescan the watercolor of the boat you did. You've made a really nice demonstration of naval architecture with beautiful reflections and a solid structure. What a delightful piece that is! The cyclists are fun, showing another side to your sketch style. I honestly don't know how you guys can capture people on the move. The joke around our house started with rocks when I began to do more landscape painting. It's not that trees are difficult to draw . . . it's rocks are hard! Oh yeah, and congratulations on your three week old baby! Much good luck to you and your family.
ptk2008 -- You made it look simple, but I think there's some pretty sophisticated drawing skills behind what you did. Here again, a nice sense of place. And scale too, I like those big city views. And you were all over the place! I like the crowds you drew and the snatches of individuals. Each one unique. Your fourth page is a miracle of simplicity.
Splinesmith -- It's plain to see in your drawings you have fun with people. Nice little extra touch for Enrico. I like the jumble of your Ghirardeli watercolor and the rolling parade of a composition in the cable car drawing. The piece you did on the pier is a tour de force in perspective. Except for the tall building at the end, I'd think this was the nineteenth century and those kegs were ships supplies waiting to be loaded. And thank you for proving to my wife that the angles at which I drew the tugboat were, indeed, just like that. She thought I'd been out in the sun too long without a hat. Ha!
What a crowd of talent you all were on Saturday!
I was happy to be there with you for the first time.
Thank you too, for all the compliments on my work.
Last edited by John D on Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Deckert
www.johnd.com
Nino de Pan Blanco
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Nino de Pan Blanco »

Hey Gang Here are some of my work. I had a blast with you guys and got to hang out later with james, kelly and fred at the lucky13 bar at church and market unfortunately james couldn't make it to the lucky13
Knowing with out doing is still not knowing
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

WOW....so much great work... all the lines, colors, ink work, washes, details... wonderful! and such productivity!

I will commite more time for the next crawl :) so i may get more drawing done.
annelito
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by annelito »

Awesome! Great work everyone!
SF seems to be a wonderful place, to me it's just scenery from movies. But fantastic scenery! Wish to visit SF some day, I think it would be overwhelming for a photographer/sketcher like me.
Nice to see all the results, makes me want to travel there!

Return to “18th World Wide SketchCrawl”