Los Angeles, CA - USA

Saturday March 29th 2008
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Los Angeles, CA - USA

Post by shihonakaza »

Hi everyone,

It's time for another Sketchcrawl! We here in L.A. usually meet at 10:30am until lunchtime...anybody have suggestions on locations?
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

How about Lake Balboa in Van Nuys?

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

RE: How about Lake Balboa in Van Nuys?

Post by shihonakaza »

Oooh...I've never been to Lake Balboa, looks like this is the right time to visit! I'm up for it. Anyone else have suggestions?
leeroy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by leeroy »

Hi guys! I think I'll be in L.A. for this one. Last time I went to San Francisco.

That lake looks lovely. Didn't know about that place. Seems like a pleasant enough way to spend a Saturday, so I'm game. Maybe my fiancée will be interested in coming along, too.

One thing is I would like to draw people as much as possible, so hopefully there will be many milling about. First thought, too, is all the cherry blossom trees might be a lot of the same thing... but on second thought, this should allow some interesting challenges to not make every sketch look like the one before. Not to mention, it could allow for some interesting compositions and atmosphere. :)
leeroy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by leeroy »

ere's another post on that blog you linked to, Alina. Minus the pictures, but with a little more info:

http://laparks.blogspot.com/2008/03/spr ... alley.html

It states peak viewing time is until march 16, but I would think the following weekend should be good, too. More petals on the ground, perhaps.

Here's a tiny URL to the park on google maps:

http://tinyurl.com/3849bk

I believe the windy road leading in from Balboa Blvd is the entrance?
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

The park is so big, you can spot it very easily ... the windy road is quite a short driving distance actually. Is Lake Balbao the offical SketchCrawl location? :)
leeroy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by leeroy »

Well, for the sake of discussion and why the hell not, I'll suggest Echo Park. For one, it is actually within the city limits (the technical side of my brain thinks a crawl in Van Nuys should be labeled as such, and not as a Los Angeles crawl).

Echo Park neighborhood is a more urban choice, but there is also a park with a lake. Lots of interesting characters in that area, to be sure. There is also a café around there that I love, called The Down Beat. It's located on Alvarado just north of Sunset Blvd. The café is a little small, fyi. Also, parking can be a little challenging in this area.

Still, the sakura is a very attractive feature of the Van Nuys location.
Silvia
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Hello everyone! I hope to join you all at the LA one!

Post by Silvia »

Hi all, newbie here! Thanks to my good friend Simo, in Naples, I came to find out about this, through her and Enrico. Echo Park sounds great, I've just noticed the lake on Google maps, had no idea about it... I might come for just a little while, but I hope to meet you all... CIAO! :D
scarybunny726
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by scarybunny726 »

Hi Everyone -

Just found this today via the blog of 'leeroy' via jeff pidgeons blog - wacky huh? But glad I was lead here as my boyfriend and I are recent animation grads and new to LA.

Sounds like great fun to do this, whats the final location decision then? Someone please post here or message me or something as we would love to try and make it there.

Thanks!
Becky
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by shihonakaza »

Echo Park sounds good to me. I happened to have a birthday party and a Society of Illustrators competition show at Junc Gallery (more info at http://www.si-la.org/blog/?p=503) to go to that day, so the location works out.

My parents saw the cherry blossoms bloom in Van Nuys two weeks ago, when it was in full bloom...the flowers might be gone by this Saturday... :(
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Descanso Garden is stunning right now. They have beautiful cherry blossom and the Japanese garden feel like Spring in japan. I think cherry blossom last for a while ... they should still be around for another week or two. :)

BTW, congrat with the gallery show!! That's AWESOME! Will check it out for sure!
leeroy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by leeroy »

Well, now I'm a bit torn between Descanso Garden and Echo Park. It sounds like Echo Park could work out for a couple people...

I think, though, that my vote is for cherry blossoms, since this will be the only opportunity to see them in their full or just-immediately-post-full glory. Echo Park will be there, pretty much without variation all year 'round. Maybe we can do it next time. What do you all think?

scarybunny726 — Cool!! I'm glad you were able to find Sketchcrawl via Art & Story Blog via Pidgeonblog... I'm happy to have had a role in the discovery. Blog commenting pays off! ;)

Cool to see a couple new people here. I hope you can make it out to the crawl!
leeroy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by leeroy »

One other thought and one the technical side of the brain again...

If we do have the sketchcrawl in Van Nuys, should we call it a Van Nuys crawl rather than a Los Angeles crawl? So, in other words, should our results appear in the forum under "Van Nuys - CA - USA [RESULTS]" ?

Personally, I think it should. For example, San Francisco and Berkeley have separate crawls and separate listings in the forum, even though they're both the greater San Francisco area, more or less.
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

I think "Los Angeles" Crawl should be OK. LA don't have as big of a crawler community as SF. It may confuse our fellow crawlers, if we start changing name last min. I know San Diego has a crawl group ... in So Cal area, it seems to be the SD group and LA group. :D
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Seem like the popular location is either Lake Balboa in Van Nuys or Echo park lake area. Which one should we pick?

A bit info about the two places:

Lake Balboa:
Right now it's cherry blossom season, so it's cover with pink Japanese Cherry blossom. They have duckings and children playground area. It's a popular location for picnic, running, golf and water sports. And they have on-location parking.

Latest photos of Lake Balboa:
http://flickr.com/photos/welchwrite/tags/cherry/

Echo Park Lake:
It's a lake near shop and stores. More cities activies around, and if we want to crawl and explore, there are probably more possilities. I am not too familiar with the area, but last time I visit there, parking is a bit tricky.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31209139@N00/296162572/

http://www.historicechopark.org/id117.html

Tough choices :roll: ... anyone has a preference?

Return to “18th World Wide SketchCrawl”