Seattle - WA - USA [Results]

Saturday January 19th 2008
lbeefus
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Seattle - WA - USA [Results]

Post by lbeefus »

Had a great time meeting everyone! I'm very happy to have had 6 people show up for our first run, even if SAM wouldn't let us use anything but pencil. (Do all art museums have that restriction? It hadn't occured to me, but I guess it makes sense).

Anyway, I was a bit rusty, so no masterpieces, but it was great fun all the same!

Very rough ink warmups, before the guards caught me:

Rest of the day:
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

I'm surprised that you even got that many ink drawings in a museum. Yes, as far as I know, all museums have the pencil only rule. But your pencil drawings are really nice too.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

I never would have thought of a pencil rule for a museum, but I guess that makes a lot of sense. Your ink sketches of the people are great. I like the pencil sketches too. It's great that you were able to do so many.
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

was great...so great to meet everyone yesterday! and I had a wonderful time at my first real sketch crawl :D

Ibeefus, I really like the people sketching, the Rat and the Pig are Nice, and i love the african mask and the Jesus one.

I dont have my stuff posted yet. not sure where i can host the pictures at//where do you people host you files for posting? hmm...think i'll just post a link...soon...at my sketching blog. Finally I got some new sketches to show :D i have only 4 tho//so slow
lbeefus
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lbeefus »

I'm lucky enough to have my own server space. I noticed Tim used Flickr for his boat. I like Flickr because they let you mark your images with specific permissions for other people's use (if I were more than an amateur, I'd care about this ever more <grin>). The free accounts let you upload a fair amount each month, as I recall.
Pica
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Pica »

Ibeefus, I love your ink work - but the pencils are nice too. (I always draw in pen in museums but I have a tiny fountain pen that's very unobtrusive...)
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Hmmm...Can't see your sketches today. I was able to see them yesterday - and I liked them but can't remember exactly what they looked like. I didn't know you couldn't sketch with pen in a museum. Afraid people are going to deface the artwork, I imagine. Will come back and look at your stuff again.
lbeefus
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lbeefus »

Thanks all! Yes, Dreamhost broke my website for a couple of hours last night. :x

Now I want my compatriots to post their sketches... they put me to shame!
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

Xiaoxuan is waiting for regitration approval. <sketchcrawl admins please check new account registration>

Zahra, I will check with her.
mine are not yet scanned/photo'd :oops:

I'm looking forward to see Tim's sketches. I had only a glimse and I want to see the complete products!

ExDancer, if you would please post your pre-sketches, and I'm so sorry you had to leave early.

To test for posting: here is one pic I wish i had a chance to sketch on :roll:
Tim
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Tim »

Nice work Ibeefus! I wish I could work a brushpen...

I'm working the scan/photo/uploading issues. Adding some color here and there too. Maybe tomorrow!

Are those bugs?
littlefish
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by littlefish »

Tim, those are the giant grosshoppers caged...they are real green and people will put a pair in a closed space for fighting... they are kept for a very short pet...and i've seen very very complicaed pretty vages people will make them houses.

alright got my stuff photo'd, pardon the low light photos.

My first time making it to the real sketch crawl and was so nice meeting everyone.
Tim had a wonderful wonderful tiny watercolor kit he made himself, that totally shows an enginner's genius...I think I'm gonna copy that and make myself something similiar :)

Cant wait till the next crawl :D:D

here are my sketches, and it's been so long i havent done anything, it took me maybe more than 1 hour on the 1st one and i still screwed up...and 2nd one i ran out of patience. did both these at the same spot and while i was working on the 1st one i had pensil and some guards came by looking, and on2nd one no one bothered me about using a pen. but that was quick one anyway.

after lunch i did 3rd and on 4th i used conte a paris, and it's my favrourite of the day :) 3rd one i was using a pen and while i almost finished a guard came by apologizing to me that I can only use pencil, and even offered his pencil, but i was running out of paper <haha bad planning> and since i was in a sculpure room he was nice and allowed me finish//but no pen any where else in the museum tho :P

Then i had dinner at xiaoxuan's place and draw her while she was reading

That all, i hope for a better day next time:D hope to meet more people too!
Donal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Donal »

Fantastic. That totem pole one (second from last) is my favorite.
lbeefus
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lbeefus »

Littlefish, I didn't see the Totempole sketch Saturday--I like it. I also like your Cupid a lot--such a funny statue and you captured it well!
Tim
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Tim »

Here are my results, good bad or indifferent, after much fiddling with cameras, scanners, and the internet, all from my small Moleskine WC sketchbook:

The gang, ready to take on the SAM, armed with sketchbooks, pencils, and soon-to-be-banned pens and inks

They have a bunch of "illuminated" cars suspended from the ceiling in the lobby. I don't know if it's art, but it's tough to draw! Pen/ink/gouache.

Pen/ink version of a large painting of a pretty lady. The guards never caught me- perhaps because my Microns are pretty unobtrusive.

Japanese masks. Pen/ink.

Picture frame detail. Mechanical pencil. I only got about half of the complexity that was there. Can't believe somebody carved this!

It's been said before but I'll say it again: Sculptures are great at posing. Mechanical pencil/gouache.

Another sculpture. Mechanical pencil.

Last one of the day. Littlefish doing her cool Conte drawing of the Cupid statue. Mechanical pencil/ink/gouache.

I thought it was a great time and I hope we can all get together again for the next one. I'll bet we can use pens at the aquarium!
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

wow ... wonderful work Seattlelites !!!
thanks for sharing !!
I'd love to make make it up there for a sketchcrawl sooner or later ...

e

Return to “17th World Wide SketchCrawl”