Thompson Falls - Montana - USA [RESULTS]

Saturday January 19th 2008
ZUPZUP
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Thompson Falls - Montana - USA [RESULTS]

Post by ZUPZUP »

Wade worked up this beautiful image with oil pastel of his bunt cake and coffee......which quickly then disappeared to make a home in his belly.

While Wade was working on his oil pastel, I worked this gouache/watercolor on a Moleskin watercolor book as I looked out the window at a railroad signal platform. After that was completed I sketched out two others, before finally laying brush to paper at a bowling alley for my final image......enjoy!

This should be it for now.....hopefully there are two more sketchers that did the deed, and will soon be turning in their results as well.
mathomas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mathomas »

Wade's work has tons of energy. I really dig it, and it makes me want to try oil pastel.

On the other hand, you really communicated "winter" very well in the outdoor sketches. Nice work! Makes me want to try guache :)
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

I agree about the oil pastel-it is terriffic-lots of energy. My mom gave me some, but I have never tried them--think I might give them a go now.

I think you captured the snow and cold beautifully--this is the only way I want to see that sort of thing Hah. Good job on the bowling alley too.
ZUPZUP
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ZUPZUP »

Thanks Mathomas!

Agreed.....Wade does some really fantastic stuff.

On mine I tried to let the white of the paper do most of the work to help capture that sense of winter. Gouache is a lot of fun, definitely give it a shot!
billfulton
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by billfulton »

Really like your winter sketches. They're spare, clean and lots of white space. They really capture montana. Especially the garage scene with pickup.
lbeefus
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lbeefus »

Love them! Man, the reflective bowling lanes...
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

ZUPZUP, as always, wonderful combination of both colours!

And indeed the bowling-scene is it!

btw: do you "round-tape" the pages and then tear the tape off again?
kim
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by kim »

zup zup-i love these sketches,especially the second one with the strong gestures for the tree :D
sumacm
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by sumacm »

These look great -- especially like the bowling alley, as it reminds us of what one can do with a venue that isn't so obvious a subject for painting.
ZUPZUP
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ZUPZUP »

Thanks Everyone!

The bowling alley was a lot of fun, so many crazy shapes, colors, lighting, etc..........it just has a one of a kind atmosphere.

Peter Pen - Yes, I do round tape them with black artist masking tape, and then pull it off afterwards to get those nice clean borders.
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Zupzup - You did really nice paintings...great subjects. Love the bowling alley. Great shapes and colors.

Wade - Beautiful sketch of your coffee and cake. Love the colors and the swirling movement in it.
ZUPZUP
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ZUPZUP »

Thanks Joan T!!!......had a lot of fun on these. I loved sketching in the bowling alley, only wish I could of done more from there. Maybe next time.
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

@ZUPZUP
Boy, it is always an inspiration to see some of your work - good energy and lively lines & washes. Wish you more like these next time...
Have a nice day!
8)
ZUPZUP
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ZUPZUP »

Thanks Mr. Sch!!.......Appreciate the encouragement. I try to stay very conscious of keeping my strokes fast and loose. Hopefully being able to capture the essence or spirit of the scene, without smothering the life out of it. Of course I'm guilty of putting many a good painting death, unable to hear the sounds of it slowly suffocating.

NO PAINTINGS WERE HARMED IN THE MAKING OF THIS SKETCHCRAWL.

Return to “17th World Wide SketchCrawl”