Denver - CO - USA [Results]

Saturday January 19th 2008
mathomas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Denver - CO - USA [Results]

Post by mathomas »

So, it looks as though I'm the first (only) one to post from Denver in this, my first WWSC. I am making a fairly poor showing, only getting in one sketch.

Unfortunately, it was 30℉. Just a bit too cold for real <i>plien air</i> work (for me, anyway). I went out with my sketch kit hoping to capture something from the car. A procrastinator, I ended up going to the library, to the art supply store (bought a folding metal easel!), etc., before actually looking for an inspring sketching subject.

After casting about a bit, it was about 3:00pm and I hadn't found a sketching subject. I took an odd way home from the art supply store, and as luck would have it, I finally tripped across this beautiful compound. I sketched it from the car.

Sketching from the car was an interesting experience. I did it from the driver's side, figuring that I could use the steering wheel as a sort of easel, and the cup holder in the center console to hold my water bottle. First, I found it hard to find a good drawing position. Then, since I'm left-handed, having the water bottle to my right wasn't so great. Also, I've gotten used to just "flicking" my brush down toward the ground to get the water out when working plein air, and I couldn't very well do that in my car! So, I had to hold a paper towel on my knee, and reach over to clean my brush, etc. But I worked it out OK, I guess. I was parked next to a snowbank, or maybe I'd have tried it from the passenger side.

For the line work I used a newly-purchased Satedtler "lumocolor" black marker with a small chisel tip. Watercolor is mostly Daniel Smith, and the work was done in a 6x10" Arches landscape sketchpad.

John Paul II Center, Denver, CO
Last edited by mathomas on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

It may be your only sketch, but it is a beauty! You might want to use a waterbrush--then no need for a water container.
mathomas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mathomas »

donnam wrote:It may be your only sketch, but it is a beauty! You might want to use a waterbrush--then no need for a water container.
Thank you! I have several waterbrushes, but I've grown to dislike them unless I'm working very small/fast on fairly smooth paper. After using a real #12 sable, the waterbrush feels like a toy, so I put up with the inconvenience of a water container :).
Last edited by mathomas on Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
billfulton
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by billfulton »

Nice job, mathomas! I love the sky and clouds...nice flow. Good shadows, nice composition.

I know what you mean about searching for a subject. Sometimes I spend more time searching than sketching!!
mathomas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mathomas »

billfulton wrote:Nice job, mathomas! I love the sky and clouds...nice flow. Good shadows, nice composition.

I know what you mean about searching for a subject. Sometimes I spend more time searching than sketching!!
Thanks! The searching is a problem -- we need to keep reminding ourselves that almost anything looks better when sketched :). However, I find that I want to be at least a little inspired, in order to get going!
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

Mike, this really looks great! If I wouldn't know you'd be overseas I'd have thought you'd be in Italy and eastwards ;-)

--- and thank you for the detailed report. Not to mention the stunning follow-ups at flickr!

T.
Last edited by Thorsten on Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

wonderful watercolors !!! beautiful ... mathomas!
thanks for sharing ...

e
mathomas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mathomas »

Peter Pen - Thanks for your comments. I have to look hard to find charming subjects in the US. Also, thanks for looking at my flickr site, too :).

Enrico - Thank you.

And another thank you to all you admins for running the site/forum and promoting WWSC. I hope next time to organize some folks in Denver to do it together.
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

@mathomas
Nicey! I would love to get a postcard like your watercolor from someone :wink:
Next time there will be spring all over in the air, and more sketches like this...
Have a nice day!
8)

Return to “17th World Wide SketchCrawl”