Davis - California - USA [Results]

Saturday January 19th 2008
Pica
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Davis - California - USA [Results]

Post by Pica »

The Davis crawlers met at Mishka's Cafe at 10:30 and then headed over to the open area around Border's and the Arboretum Terrace. We never caught up with Pete again and headed out to the Yolo Bypass afterwards.

A few sketches from me follow.
Pica
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Pica »

Here are my sketches:
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

Ooh, is that a night heron?

I like the crammed pages - it's very different from the bordered panels you were doing last I saw (which were beautiful, too!).
Christopher
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Christopher »

Pica:

Sweet bun! I am intrigued by your pen style. Also I'm hoping that you had a healthy dinner, like some broccoli, to round out that sticky treat.

And thank you again for having me out to Davis to sketch with you and Alan and Pete -- even though my cold set me back a bit I had such a lovely time, especially at the levee!

Here's a couple of mine from Mishka's coffee house, where we started it off. This guy was apparently known around the university as "Mr. Intensity":

Reading a section of the Davis paper called simply, "KILLINGS" -- though I'm not sure how he was able to do this without pupils or lower eyelids:

As we moved on to the Arboretum area I grabbed a coffee in Border's and passed this little girl reading a book while wearing the sweetest silver shades:

But then the coup de grace for me was after this when Alan and Pica took me for a little bike ride -- well they were on bikes, I had to follow in my Honda -- down Chiles road to a dirt turn-off onto a levee:

ImageImage

There was this awesome little wetlands area and Pica and Alan let me take a peep through their magic scope to meet my maker:

billfulton
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by billfulton »

These are great sketches. I love the ones of "Mr Intensity" in each of your posts. Sounds like a productive day!
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Pica-your linework is wonderful-I envy people who have the guts to work directly in pen.

Christopher: Mr Intensity looks, well, so intense! Beautifully captured. The little girl in the glasses is charming.
mathomas
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mathomas »

Pica - great linework, and good choice of color for the pen.

Christopher - you have a very attractive and fluid watercolor style.
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

very nice stuff all, especially the heron caught in the lens! Sorry i couldn't catch up with you all, had business at the bookstore and stayed downtown. Got lots of drawings done though:

one of two smoothies had at mishka's cafe

pica sketching, also at mishka's

the avid reader on 2nd street. While drawing this, there were loads of police cars around, and cops with rifles; not sure what was going on, but it was briefly exciting

had a burrito, and drew the e street plaza clock, and the vare trees about it

had to pop by campus, so drew this on the way, corner of A & 3rd, davis textbook store

finally, stopped by little prague for a beer.

it was a nice sunny day, cold enough to wear a nice scarf and jumper, warm enough to sketch outside without fingers falling off frozen.
billfulton
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by billfulton »

Nice sketches, Pete. You've got a great eye for detail. How long does it take you to do a sketch? I think it would take me forever to get your level of detail. Really like the sketch with Pica.
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

@ Pica -- funny sequence: starting and nourishing, getting into them and finally resting somewhere hidden, as a traveling bird ;-)

@ Christopher -- I really like your colour-palette and the sketches' formats ... ready for the big screen - the peoples' looks are just into it :-)

@ pete --- great job! Just to pick one: The layout of the bookstore on 3rd and Davis is beautiful !
Pica
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Pica »

Emma! Nice to hear from you. We missed you at Mishka's. I honestly didn't have time to make a grid on my sketchbook but like the chaos of it this time. (It's a great blue heron.)

Donnam: I like pen because it makes you commit. I just got a silverpoint tool and talk about commitment -- going to try to draw some white hens later today on some gessoboard. It's a really narrow value range so that will be quite a change for me.

Christopher, really glad you could join us from Sac. I love your cinematic rendition of Allan and me on our bikes and birding. Hope we can all get together for the next one. Thank you also for your concern about my alimentary health; we had tofu, cilantro, and home-grown peppers and chiles for dinner, just to remove your concern.

Pete, I love your work; looks like you spent a long time sketching after you left us yesterday! I especially like your linework on the trees. I also like the sketch of me though I think I'm a candidate for "miss intensity" while I was sketching that guy's face...
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Pete: your sketches are really beautifully drawn and rendered
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Pica - Fun group of sketches. You did so many wonderful people.

Christopher - Love your group of sketches...especially the girl with the glasses. Great job on the wetlands and the egret(?)!!

Pete - Yummy looking smoothie to start off. Excellent building sketches....look like postcards.
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

Pica
Great quick sketches - Love the bird sketch.

Christopher
I also like your simplistic approach, with hints of color.

Pete
Great work you are doing there.
Gustavo

https://www.gustavoarizmendi.com
SketchCrawl WebHosting / Maintenance donated by yours truly from 2007 to 2022.
mhimeswc
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by mhimeswc »

Pete, your sketches are fantastic! The one of Pica sketching is super!

Christopher - I like the girl reading, and the heron. Was it hard to sketch while looking thru a scope?

Pica - I like the quick people sketches - you get a lot of character into your people.

Return to “17th World Wide SketchCrawl”