San Francisco - CA - USA [Results]

Saturday January 19th 2008
eduardo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

San Francisco - CA - USA [Results]

Post by eduardo »

As I type this you guys are still out there in SF, sketching!

Saturday, 8:30 a.m... Wake up! It's time to get ready, take BART and make it to SF on time. I arrive at Montgomery station at 11:45 a.m. Miyabi Sushi Express is closed, no veggie udon for me. I get to Portsmouth Square at exactly 11 a.m. It was a clear and sunny morning. Perfect. The temperature could not stop us. Gloves or no gloves, people were sketching, sketching, sketching. All around the Portsmouth Square, you'd look anywhere and there would be at least a pack of crawlers at work.

I met Enrico and shook his hand, modest of words. I met Brian and Nonie , nice people. I saw Ronnie del Carmen snapping photos and painting. I immediately sat down and started sketching. The first few really looked like warm-ups. Just being there, I felt a bit rushy, and felt the rush too. :)

Here are a few sketches.

This first one... I sat down at the little park you all saw, with cool Chinese architecture implemented into the Jungle Jim. There were some kids that just did not stop running, and running. So energetic. So I drew one of them, trying to show endless energy with some rocket booster feet. Coulda given more life to the arms and smile, haha. There's some dodge used, btw. Grrr, probably didn't even need to do that.

When this was done I looked up and a lot of people had left the Square, and I had no clue where to go so I basically stayed there, with a lot of other people. :)

The next one... Well, I sincerely have to apologize to the person I drew here. This is actually the second attempt! The first time, she got up before I had any key elements down. The second time I think she just caught me. :oops: But in case you're wondering, ma'am, your hat is really cool so I just had to.

And for the last one, you all saw several adults playing card games here and there, so I went ahead and drew a small bit of that.

The only disappointment was not having drawn Chinese architecture! I left at around 2:30 p.m. 'Wish I could have known more of you guys. Still, it was good enough to meet some new faces. I'm really eager to see everyone else's work. I know I peeked around and saw some really sweet stuff! Like always, thanks for setting up the crawls Enrico and Ronnie!
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

I also love the woman's hat--I am glad that you perservered and I like the way you colored it too.
billfulton
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by billfulton »

The woman in the hat is a great portrait. Love the hair and profile. Nicely done!
storydesign
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by storydesign »

these are really nice drawings Edwardo!
I love the two women!
storydesign
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by storydesign »

Sketchcrawl in SF was a blast.
Great meeting several of the local artists at Portsmouth Square, Chinatown.

I wandered a bit to North Beach with friends for lunch.
and the Mission District for a late dinner
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

@ eduardo -- your colouring is just wonderful with the darkened paper as a background!

@ James -- as I already said on flickr: I really like how you captured the relations between the people you saw!

For everyone else: Here is set of photos of James' view on the SF-SC
http://www.flickr.com/photos/storydesig ... 757686831/
P.S. I hope you don't mind, James
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Storydesign--nice capture on the people-I really like them with the washes.
storydesign
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by storydesign »

Thank You Peter and Donnam
the subjects themselves offered the relationships- I had fun observing and documenting
lifeartist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lifeartist »

The sketch crawl was a blast! I got to see a lot of great art work that inspires me to know that is what I am striving for. :)

I learned a lot from this sketch crawl, I can't wait for the next one :D Here's my work.

That guy laying down was hard! I really need to get my glasses, it would have helped lol.

I am shocked I didn't totally mess up the person reading the paper, I really need to draw people more.

Lunch, I didn't know there was such a thing as 100% organic french roast coffee, its good!
My inability to draw people shows through here lol, it was good practice though
This guy was popular.
I think everybody sketched these lights

Thanks Colin for showing me around SF it was a blast sketching with ya! I enjoyed the "experience" hehe. Lola! :)
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

I had a great time! Chinatown is a fantastic sketching zone. And, it was great to see lots of people from past Crawls again and also to meet some new folks (hi Lee-Roy :) )

I need to finish painting a few of my sketches: will post them here in a day or two.
-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***
larry
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by larry »

Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

Chinatown must have been a wonderful place to sketch!!

Eduardo - Great people sketches. I love the woman with the hat! You got a lot done.

Storydesign - I love your pen drawings, especially the first one with the kid on the bench with the man...wonderful pose of both of them.

Lifeartist - Cool people sketches! Love the Chinese-style streetlamp too!

Larry - Super pen drawings. Your sketches of the trees are great, but I love the detail in the nestling tables adn the cans.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

nice work Eduardo, Life Artist, Storydesign and Larry !

We had a sizable group of roughly 65 artists participating and invading with paper and pencil the streets of Chinatown. There was quite a few of us around the neighborhood that’s for sure, in the afternoon I even had a policeman look over my shoulder asking me how often we had this drawing group, he had put two and two together after seeing so many people sketching through out the day.

One could hold a sketchcrawl only in Portsmouth square and you certainly wouldn’t get bored, there’s so much to draw around there, a limitless collection of amazing characters. I started the day drawing some kids around the playground.

I then walked up to Grant Street where I did this watercolor. Sorry about the low-res photo, I’ll scan and post decent versions of these as soon as I
can.

Ronnie, Bolhem and I had lunch at the tasty House of Nanking, I had forgot how many flowers they put in their hot tea. Sure pretty.

I did one more watercolor at the corner of Waverly and Washington, here’s a detail of it. The building was really challenging, so many details and colors.

We met back in Portsmouth square at 4:30 to pass around the sketchbooks. Everybody did beautiful work. Thank you all for joining in the fun, it’s always inspiring to see so many familiar, and also new, faces at the SF crawls.

Lastly here’s a wonderful surprise gift my wife and I received at the end of the sketchcrawl from Nancy Lorenz, who with her daughter Amelia have been assiduous crawlers for years now. Thank you so much Nancy, this is truly amazing!

Enrico
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

--- ooh, people, I am getting lazy! So many wonderful new ones within the last couple of hours!

@larry -- wonderful boxes

@lifeartist -- I like your unhappy fiddler!

and Enrico --- nothing more to say as I did at flickr ;-) Thanks for inventing it. First time we had people at two places at least over here ...

T.
Last edited by Thorsten on Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

i really really like that one of the phonebox, enrico.

Return to “17th World Wide SketchCrawl”