Smederevo - Serbia [Results]

Saturday January 19th 2008
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Smederevo - Serbia [Results]

Post by mr.sch »

Going away from Belgrade for this weekend... here is banner for 17WWSC
and soon followed by some sketches also. Have a nice SketchCrawl you all!

:wink: :D 8)
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

dang that's an awesome logo ...

enrico
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

--- boy, schunnin, you are just on time - can't wait to see your sketches!
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

thanks guys... but, this time I made only few sketches. It was pretty cold, there was a non-sketching persona with me, started later than planned, and so on...
(Finding Nemo quote) Seagulls: "Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine Mine ... Nigel: Oh would you just shut up? You're rats with wings."
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

Anyway, we (me and my wife) came to Smederevo (which is situated on right bank of river Danube, just like Belgrade - only 30 miles eastern) at some 10:00AM
This is citys main square (with somewhat distorted perspective :roll:) - popular pedestrian zone for generations, simply called "the Fountain" ("Fontana") by them
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

Some strange thick fog on that day just wouldn't go away, but on sunset, at the river bank... it helped creating a surrealistic scenery from some fantasy movie
That dreamy, unreal and moody atmosphere reminded me of 1995 french movie "La Cité des enfants perdus" (The City of Lost Children) by Jean-Pierre Jeunet
MattJonez
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Photos

Post by MattJonez »

These LONG photos are excellent-the seagulls are funny & the bottom pic is really atmospheric. Nice compositions.
Donal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Donal »

Wow - those photographs kick ass. I love the colors in the last one. Everything just kinda pops out at you.
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

@MattJonez, Donal
I was afraid of cropping too much, but it turned out as quite fine format for that content. Panorama wasn't planned, though :wink:

January 19. is celebrated in our East Orthodox Church as "The Apparition of Our Lord" (Bogojavljanje) the occasion of Christ’s
baptism by John the Baptist in the River Jordan, and that's why special focus is on water, redemption, and the divine presence.
The church - "The Assumption of Holy Mother of God" (Crkva Uspenja Presvete Bogorodice) was built in first half of XV century,
painted in second half, and today forms the center of Old graveyard in Smederevo. It could be the vault of town ruler (d. 1456).
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

wow !! amazing photos and watercolor !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

e
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

thanks, Enrico. I wish next time there'll be much more of these, due to spring 8)

looking through my round eyes at the square picture of round wall opening, closed with square window (detail from altars wall)
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

After that sketch, my wife went home to warm herself a bit, and I followed my path to the place where I had been baptized...
The curch of St. George (Hram Svetog Georgija) built in 1850-1854, stands in the very center of the city, marking its "Fontana"
square. Followed plans of Manasija monastery (XV c.), and ended as one of largest churches of that time (L32m/ W17m/ H50m)
Joan T
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Joan T »

mr. sch - Your watercolors are impressive!! How long did these take you to do?
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

@Joan T
Thank you. It takes 10-20 minutes, on very handy format 4"x3" (10x8cm)... Need much more practice with w/c, I must admitt :oops:

Church interior detail in southern wall, made in white marble (from Mt. Vencac quarry) in Byzantine style by Eugene Lavchewich
Like lion hide trail with tail, He's been hiding in flesh&blood (in quo vox leonis in eremo rugientis auditur...leonis habet effigiem)
mr.sch
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by mr.sch »

...the end ('till next time, of course :roll: )

Return to “17th World Wide SketchCrawl”