Hello Nurse
20%

Total votes: 5

VHS
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Los Angeles - California - USA

Post by VHS »

Are there any other L.A.-ers that want to participate? I know I'd like to, but am fairly new to the area and wouldn't feel entirely comfortable doing the set-up/planning for it.

Though I will, I suppose, if y'all are interested in joining me...

8)
shari
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Los Angeles Sketch Crawl

Post by shari »

My husband and I would like to participate. Any other Angelitos out there game? Any thoughts on locations?

There's a park above Lake Hollywood that has a view of the Hollywood sign plus a lot of other nature-type inspiration. It's been a few years since I've been there, but I believe there may be a good city view within a short hiking distance as well.

That's the first thing that came to my mind, but I'm open to anything.

Please join us! My husband and I are both completely new to plein aire sketching, so don't be intimidated. The more the merrier!!
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Los Angeles Sketchcrawl - locations

Post by shihonakaza »

Hi everyone,

I've been to a few other Sketchcrawls, so I'm glad to see new faces! Here are location suggestions from past Sketchcrawlers:

Bradbury Building + Grand Central Market
Fisherman's Village in Marina Del Rey
Chinatown
Hollywood Blvd.
Graystone Mansion in Beverly Hills
Getty Villa in Malibu (reservation required)

Shari, I like the Lake Hollywood idea - I've never been, and it's never been suggested as far as I know, so sounds like it'll be a good place to meet. I'm open to other ideas - and will post this query on Society of Illustrators blog, too.
shari
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Los Angeles Sketchcrawl - Locations

Post by shari »

Wow... all of the places you mentioned sound fabulous! I'm open to anything. I'm actually going to be near Lake Hollywood tonight, so I'll try to swing by there to refresh my memory of the location and what it has to offer. Then I'll report back here. Even if we decide on another location this time, we can keep it in mind for future crawls.

I'm really excited about this...
shari
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

LA Sketchcrawl Locations

Post by shari »

Hello Los Angeles Sketchers!

Well, I drove to that park next to Lake Hollywood on Friday night. The drive is windy - through a subdivision and then half-way around the park. Not straightforward to get to by any means. But I think Mapquest could guide anyone wanting to try.

It was night and it was pouring rain, so my visibility was really limited. I can tell you that the park is up pretty high. I think on a clear day, there would be a pretty great view of the hills and homes below. The Hollywood sign should be readily visible up above. The park itself is a wide open field and is next to Lake Hollywood.

That's my report. As I said, I'm open to anything - so long as it's not raining again. Anyone else care to weigh in?
funnylittlefrog
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by funnylittlefrog »

Hey, guys! I'm new too. Lake Hollywood does sound nice. What time are you thinking, Shari? Also wondering if there will be any people to draw? I've never been in that area.
shari
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

LA Sketchcrawl

Post by shari »

My husband and I would have to participate in a sketchcrawl in the morning that day... maybe 9 or 10? I could also do earlier, but not much later.

As for people at Lake Hollywood... there are a lot of folks that run/walk around the lake, but they're on the move. Plenty of people exercising with their pets, too. There may be people in the park, but your guess would be as good as mine.

If you'd like a more populated venue where we could have our pick of people to sketch, I'd suggest we go with a city locale, such as China Town or one of the other places mentioned in an earlier post.

What do you think?
gittens7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by gittens7 »

where is lake hollywood? whats is up there, ill show anywhere just as long as there is something to draw hope everyone had a happy new year
Art is life, life is art
www.g1toons.com
www.g1toons.blogspot.com
jonasavrin
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

maybe...

Post by jonasavrin »

Somewhere with lots of people again? I really like people watching, anyone else? Well, that's my two cents. I'm new to SketchCrawl, only done it once, and relatively new to LA, been here a year, so that pretty much makes me game for just about anything i guess.[/b]
shari
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

LA Sketchcrawl

Post by shari »

Someplace else where we're sure to get lots of people is fine by me!

Just tell me when and where...
jonasavrin
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

New link to online poll

Post by jonasavrin »

:idea: Here's an idea, if you want to quickly go to this link and click on a time slot we can quickly mitigate time wasted trying to plan a specific time to do the sketchcrawl. Can't be any easier. As for choosing the place, we'll have to see about creating another poll maybe.

http://www.doodle.ch/w4undf7fsyay8sz2
shari
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

LA Sketchcrawl

Post by shari »

Thanks for setting that up, Jonas! I have no idea how you did that, but it sure does help...
shihonakaza
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

LA Sketchcrawl

Post by shihonakaza »

Hi Jonas, thanks for posting the poll on sketchcrawl start time!
I vote for 10:30am since that's when other LA sketchcrawls started, and it's halfway between 10 and 11am, which most people seem OK with.

As for location: how about Chinatown? Besides Vicky, a few other people who want to participate from Society of Illustrators also expressed interest in gathering there because it's Metro-close. There are a mix of old Chinese shops as well as trendy art galleries, so this should be an interesting place to sketch!

How about if we meet at:
the Chinese gate at Central Plaza, facing Broadway
(850 N. Broadway Los Angeles, CA 90012)

Directions:

From the Metro: take the Metro Gold Line to Chinatown station, walk west along College Street one block to Broadway. Turn right on Broadway - the gate is on the west side of the street.

From the Westside: take the 10 Freeway east to the 101 south. Exit at Broadway and turn left.

From Pasadena: take the 110 Freeway south and exit at Hill Street. Turn left on College Street, and turn left on Broadway.

From Hollywood or the San Fernando Valley, take the 101 Freeway south. Exit at Broadway and turn left.

From Long Beach or Orange County, take the 5 North or the 710 north, to the 101 north and exit at Alameda or Grand. Follow signs to Chinatown.

Parking:

meter on the street, or lots for $3-$5/day

Info:

http://www.chinatownla.com/
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

COOLIO!!

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

Work been crazy ... been missing last couple of sketchcrawl, will try my best to make it this time! :)
shari
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

LA Sketchcrawl

Post by shari »

Chinatown sounds great! Thanks for helping organize...

Return to “17th World Wide SketchCrawl”