Sacramento [results]

Sunday November 4th 2007
Pica
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Sacramento [results]

Post by Pica »

What a great time we had at the zoo, everyone! Here are a few of my sketches...
People standing in line for the zoo
White-faced whistling duck
Giraffe
Bateleur eagle
Azure-winged magpie

I'll try and get the sketch I did of Henry (yuk yuk) up soon.

Alison
http://www.magpienest.org/feathersofhope/
http://www.magpienest.org/birdbybird/
crashhappy
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by crashhappy »

Those sketches are lovely, particularly that azure-winged magpie! I'm inspired, must try color next time.

The old oran looked like an depressed pensioner w/ a bad toupee. Very tired, ancient eyes.
My slighty bow-legged (d'oh!) Giraffe
Anteater (reading a book... what, you didn't see it?)
Lemur
Kangaroo, Red Panda... those monkeys, the funky looking turkey(?) at the front of the zoo. Clearly, didn't take adequate, animal-identifying notes.

Eager to see everyone else's work :-) Did anyone sketch the tiger? It was so beautiful, and my sketches were so crap.
ETA:
Okay, so I took a stab at photoshop coloring the head.
Last edited by crashhappy on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Eye of the tiger! Mouth of a teamster!" -- H. Simpson
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

crashhappy--nice animal characters--love the expressions
rubbersushi7
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by rubbersushi7 »

I have a tiger.

Had to add stripes in photoshop, since I forgot them when I was drawing. (Colored in photoshop)

Saki Lemurs:
Image Image

The... Uh... Other Lemurs:
Image Image

Sleeping Mongoose Lemur:
(Colored in PhotoShop)

Chimp:

Goose or Swan, and a duck in their little pond... thing:

Sleeping Tawny Frogmouth Owls:
(Colored in photoshop)

Kookoobura:
(Colored in photoshop)

Red Panda:
Image Image

Zebra:

"Something something" Antelope:

Sleeping animals are so helpful.

edit: This is Amanda.
Last edited by rubbersushi7 on Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
zironu
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by zironu »

Haha.. I don't have my stuff scanned in yet, but.. Could we also post our names with our uploads?? I forget who drew what, and I don't know you all well enough (yet!) to recognize you guys by style..

But awesome stuff so far! =D

(This is Luke, by the way)
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

Pica
super cute quick style!
I love 1st human sketches one!
I love it!!!

crashhappy
Hahahaha Funny monkey!
I like Lemur sketches!

rubbersushi7
Great quick sketches!
Red Panda is very cute!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

hanksan
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Crawlers Spotted At The Zoo!

Post by hanksan »

What a great day! Very inspiring to see everyone's talent and passion. Also great to hear kind words from curious passersby. I think there were even randon acts of sketching! :shock: :wink:

Fantastic work everyone!!!

Here are a few of my sketches and photos. I didn't have time to format or even color. I want to add color to some... later I hope!

All are very rough...

Here kitty-kitty...

Magnificent Bird... Bateleur Eagle (must color this one)

Random sketches...

Sacramento/Davis Sketch Crawlers sketchin' it up at the Sacramento Zoo...

My son was ready to do his own crawlin'!

-henry
zironu
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Whoo!

Post by zironu »

I had lots of fun at the Sketchcrawl today! It's only too bad that people had to leave early, but we'll just have that much more fun at the next one, right? Haha.. Here are my sketchcrawls:

White-faced Sakis! The first animal we drew.. The reason it looks yellowish in the painting is because its face was dirty, and kinda yellow-stained. The one on the top made me sad to draw, because he really did look sad. The enclosure was only about 10x6x12..

A Bateleur Eagle! It was a pretty cool bird, if only just because its beak and feet were such a vibrant red. On the bottom-right is a lemur I drew.. I only got this far because they left into a concealed part of their enclosure as soon as I arrived.

The first giraffe I painted. I was excited when I drew it because up until this, I'd only been drawing exotic animals I hadn't ever really heard of. Giraffes are big-name animals!

A White-Handed Gibbon I sketched in various poses.

A couple of Red Pandas I drew.. The one in the grass kept pacing around the enclosure. The one on the trees was super lazy.

An Azure-Winged Magpie. This one was really energetic, and kept flitting around the enclosure. It was difficult to draw accurately.

This flashy bird is called a Himalaya Monal. It was super difficult to get its plumage down because it was so colorful, but I think I got it down pretty well. This is an awesome bird.

Garcia the Orangutan! I liked him a lot for some reason. His coat was so shaggy that you couldn't see his feet! It made me laugh.

Spotted Hyena! The Hyena up and bolted while I was in the middle of this sketch, so the remainder I filled in from what I knew about a dog's anatomy.. Which isn't much.

Giraffe, Take 2! This was later on in the day, when they were feeding them - Around 3PM.. The smell was horrible. I can still smell it..

My animation friend, Percys Moran! A semi-caricature I did of him at a Salvadorian Eatery we went to after the zoo:

I was happy with the way this one came out.

My new friend Dave! I dunno his last name.

For some reason he was harder for me to get a likeness of.. I theorize it may be because I didn't know him as well as I knew Percys, and therefore was.. No, that's bullshit.

AND THAZZIT! I'll have a link to photos up in a moment, people!
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

what an outstanding ensemble - I defintely have to take a look at our new zoo, too, next spring crawl!

Pica lofty and nice quick ones - the all seem to duck and hide away ;-)

crashhappy great cartoon-transfer of tha urang-utan ;-)

rubbersushi7 yes, you defintely have a tiger ;-) and what a glory one - I really like that entangled Chimp, done with that heavy pen!

hanksan you really did a good job on these fish studies and I absoultely like that slivery snail on a stick ;-)

zironu your red panda and orangutan really come of the page! Esp. that tiny panda-facestudy is strong!

thanks for sharing everyone!
zironu
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by zironu »

Here are the photos from the trip, all loaded up into Flickr! Leave comments and stuff! Also, I'd like to get to know you guys better, so if you have any facebooks, or personal blogs, please leave me a link!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16967563@N ... 927322249/

Enjoy!

And thanks, Peter Pen! Do you have any sketchcrawls you can share??
andy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by andy »

Awesome work guys, fantastic animal sketches!
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

wow seventy pictures of so many particpants - seems you had a great day out

you're welcome zironu - and yes, I have one to share, and to scan first ... working electronic devices is a reare thing to share in our apartment these last days ;-) so stay tuned for "hamburg results"
Katherine T
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Katherine T »

What a lot of sketches and what a stunning thread! Well done. :)

Now who's who in the photo?
zironu
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by zironu »

Katherine T: I'm the asian guy in the group, (my name is Luke) and you've probably figured out who Percys and Dave are from the drawings, no?

The happy black man with the sunglasses is my animation class teacher Anthony Williams Anthony, and the Southeast Asian looking man in the maroon is his co-worker Henry (Hanksan.

The girl with the white jacket and teal top is Michelle, and the girl in the teal zip-up hoodie is Amanda. (Rubbersushi7)

The bearded guy is Alan, and the woman in the (cargo?) vest is Alison (Pica). The guy with the brown hair, glasses and gray zip-up hoodie is Chris, and the girl in the black jacket with the green hood popping out, I'm beginning to suspect, is crashhappy.[/b]
Pica
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Fantastic to see the sketches, everyone!

Post by Pica »

Wow, this looks really good. Thanks, everyone, for posting your work! More please! (Luke, your Flikr album's wonderful! thank you!)

Here are a few more of my sketches -- mostly ones I was using the new Copic pigmented ink marker. I like this as a basis for a watercolor wash -- at the end of the bunch is the tawny frogmouth I did this way. This is a new medium for me and it's very unsaturated so far, but I think we can work on that...

Henry eating lunch!

Luke sketching the Himalayan monal

Flamingo with attitude

Tawny frogmouth -- Sepia Copic and watercolor wash

Alison/Pica
http://www.magpienest.org/feathersofhope
http://www.magpienest.org/birdbybird

Return to “16th World Wide SketchCrawl”