San Francisco - CA - USA - Results

Sunday November 4th 2007
eduardo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by eduardo »

Neat stuff Daniela. I saw the gouache, nice painting too. Day by day I appreciate each painting medium more.

Well... I DID say I'd post some sketch of SF this week, at some point.... and I have a feeling that I might be doing other things, or sketching elsewhere this weekend so here's this one:

I was personally upset with this one guys! No depth in columns, inconsistent linework, the tree's a twig, no decoration silhouettes on roofs, mushy tree/leaves. Arg, an hour of inner war. So then I just splattered ink with a toothbrush and my thumbprint... Shoulda posted a larger one of that so you can see but oh well, I'm off to bed. Peace.
azulparsnip
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by azulparsnip »

ahhhh, wow - you all have a firm grip!!!!
Daniela
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Daniela »

Thanks Eduardo. I actually enjoy your painting very much!
I know how it is when idea and execution fight each other (me, all the time) but, if you allow me, I find the twig tree very appealing and the mushy tree/leaves provide interesting texture contrast with the roof. But more so than concentrating on details, I would base my judgment of your painting on how it feels overall.
And this works for me!

Also, John, I like your last painting of St. Peter and Paul Church!

Pete, nice panels! It very much reminds me of a graphic novel. I especially like the telegraph pole and the subdued sunset behind it. And thanks for your comment!

Biocreep, pretty scenes. I like the points of view you chose and the way you composed the drawings.

Mike, cool stuff, especially the painting of the buildings. There's something about their treatment that has a Sasek quality to it. (And nice Early Bird paintings too!)
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

Hello Everyone, here are my sketches from Sunday:

My husband and arrived at the Ferry Building 15 minutes late and couldn't find other sketchers.
But we spent the day there and had a blast. The weather was awesome: a glorious Fall day. And,
I really like the energy and architecture of the Ferry Building. It's been restored and now houses little
shops that are all related to (mostly upscale) food. I will SketchCrawl there again for sure.

Berkeley BART Station
On the Way Over

Frog Hollow Farm, Ferry Building, SF
Beautiful Fruit

Market Bar View, Ferry Building, SF
Great Outdoor Lunch

Market Bar Lamps, Ferry Building, SF
Market Bar Giant Pumpkin, Ferry Building, SF
961 pounds!

Far West Fungi, Ferry Building, SF
Mushrooms Only - Amazing Place
Last edited by martha on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

It's so fun to see what everyone did on the same day:

splinesmith: Great figures! And I really like the colors in your paintings: suits SF so well.

pete: A wonderful set as usual! I really love that blue & grey color scheme.

biocreep: You have really captured the hustle and bustle of the city - love your style.

Duttonart: That horizontal format looks great, and your painting are very evocative.

Daniela: What a happy scene - very nice!
-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***
Daniela
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Daniela »

Thanks Martha! Good work and awesome pumpkins!
Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

There's some wonderful stuff here and welcome to the new 'Crawlers I met Sunday! I left around 3:30 or so from Washington Square. I had no idea where the pub was for the 5 pm meet up. Oh well, next time!

Here's mine:

Warm up on BART

Couple of chatting ladies along the pier and boats at Fisherman's Wharf

Strange haircut on a fellow working at Houdini's Magics Shop

Players and weekenders at Washington Square
chris ocampo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by chris ocampo »

awesome sketches everybody.
i really dig the carousel drawing.
mike dutton paintings rock. and so does biocreeps pictures.
emma, thanks for leading!..good times.

i kinda just followed the crowd all day with one of my co-workers. it was perfect weather at the park, and there were all kinds of people out. the last one was from 'Puppets on the Pier,' which had some fantastic puppets. i colored my drawing just to make it more creepy.

Last edited by chris ocampo on Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

splinesmith--your building watercolors are really nice--tell me you studied architecture in school
hah! Am I that obvious, donnam? :) Actually, yes...I was an architecture major for a year. Then I discovered how much politics is involved in getting into a good firm. Yuck.

What a day, and what a great collection of sketches, everyone! What I love is seeing how different people view the same subjects. So many astounding styles...

pete--I may have already said this at the swap, but your work is amazing. It's even more impressive when viewed on the sheet, so that's good that you took some overall snapshots of the journals. Very distinctive style

biocreep--very clean style, What do you use for the grey wash? It's very impressive work

duttonart--beautiful work...even the breadcrumbs look great!

daniela--very challenging from a perspective viewpoint, but you did a great job with it. The humans (and canines) are very full of character. I also liked the gouache version you did later. Spectacular!

eduardo--I really like that piece. It may have been struggle for you, but it feels balanced to me

martha--beautiful color work, as always. The autumn colors really shine through

chris--outstanding work. Love your use of negative space, and the wash in the watercolor piece is divine

Karen, great gestures and portraits. I love how everybody gravitated toward the volleyball players and "the man in the hat!"

Okay, I'm going to go off and enjoy my artistic "contact high" now! :D
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions
ZUPZUP
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by ZUPZUP »

WOW....really beautiful stuff going on here in San Fran. I especially enjoy those killer gouaches by Dutton Art. Love that nice downshot on the crowds as well Daniela! Also enjoyed the work by BioCreep, Eduardo, Pete, Chris.......well everyone for that matter.
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

Oh my gosh...I was just looking at Chris's drawing with the container ship in it, and it occurred to me that the one that struck the Bay Bridge was a Hanjin (that ship was the Cosco Busan). I'm wondering if you managed to capture the last sketch of the ship before it hit the bridge? I'm not sure how long it takes to process those things, but if it sailed into the bay on Sunday, offloaded its cargo, refueled, then took on a new cargo...I would imagine it might be Wednesday morning before it set sail again. That's kinda creepy.

I'm glad we got the SketchCrawl in before that happened. With the smell of the fuel, being anywhere near the wharves would be really nasty right now.
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Yay San Francisco ! Wonderful sketches from all of you ... love all the watercolors ... thanks for sharing your day out!!

enrico
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

better late than never

Post by frosti »

Just like the day of the crawl, I'm a bit late posting, but I wanted to share these. Great drawings everyone! A really impressive range of styles and techniques here.

Here are mine:

Walton Plaza

A rock at Walton Plaza:

Washington Square:

More Washington Square:

and a shot from the pub:

Thanks everyone for a wonderful crawl! See you next time.
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

hey, nice photo! good beer there too. love all the sketches and paintings. I like that one of the group on a bench sketching in washington square, frosti, i remember that from the sketchbook-swapping. the one's chris ocampo did are really nice, good penwork, including the possibly fated ferry! that magician guy drawn by karen is excellent, esp the yellowy tones on his shirt. i like the giant pumpkin drawn by martha, and all the other little pumpkins, it's a very colourful scene! and the chinese gate there by eduardo is evocatove, the style is great.
Lots of inspirational stuff this.
IR
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by IR »

too bad I miss the past Sketchcrawl....

:cry:

thanks for sharing :) reallu nice work!

Return to “16th World Wide SketchCrawl”