San Francisco - CA - USA - Results

Sunday November 4th 2007
eduardo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by eduardo »

Haha, that's some imagination. Invading Zeppelins...

Thanks all for those super kind comments, sheesh! Pumps you up. I'll try to do some of SF each week, here and there between homework and other things.

Yeah Mike I know what ya mean. Today I drove out at 3 and it felt like 5, and I was already tired. DST, ewwww! No doubt at all, I always am impressed with your work and would love to see more sketches.

Splinesmith, I really like those. Nice watercolors too! I brought watercolors but ended up not using 'em. I felt like we were gonna move around frequently. Perhaps next time! (March?)
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

first time i did the sketchcrawl in SF, and my legs feel it now... used a bigger sketchbook than normal, had fun among the pigeons, sat on my bum on the dusty pavement, and met some very interesting sketchers at the rogue pub (where the half-a-weizen beer is very tasty). Very impressed with everyone's artwork. I am inspired to draw more people, out and about.

Here are my results (it's like final score, 4.45, bbc...):

page 1, (fitting them all in) i'd decided to go all blue and grey, copic fineliner and watercolours, started at 10 and went until 1 (when i stopped for lunch, a sandwich). Met the flashmobbed sketchcrawlers at peet's busily drawing each other, before the people dispersed among the streets of the city; i stuck around the ferry building area to continue blue&green, before trekking on, mp3 player on shuffle, belle and sebastian jostling with the buzzcocks and david devant, oblivious to the pigeons and those seagulls with the massive massive beaks.

I ate the previously mentioned sandwich in sydney g. walton square, because yes it was on the route on the map, and i wanted to go and draw a couple of trees with shadows and stuff

financial district, money, trees you don't get in davis, but no people because it's the weekend. And a starbucks on every corner, i don't drink coffee or anything but i do use the toilet, and they were all closed (doh!). Move along, go to north beach, pete.

i would love to say i went into this amazing looking little store, and mooched around its crammed little nooks, discovering old guitars and musical paraphernalia covered in years, but sadly i just sat outside on my bum drawing, my bag was feeling heavy, and my legs were a bit too tired to go inside and devote time propping me up. Next time perhaps. The girl sat outside on her laptop didn't want to be inside the shop either. And there was live music wafting from somewhere up the street, not that I could really tell, as my headphones were on, and playing the sex pistols 'no fun'. I had fun though.

a quick one looking up from the world to the sky shortly before the rogue pub rendez-vous...and below, photos of the thing i like about the sketchbook, that it can stand up rigid in the street like a noticeboard while i do other things like sort out all the variosu items in all my various pockets...

à la prochaine fois, sketchcrawleurs...

ImageImage
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

splinesmith
wow so many great sketches!!
I like your quick style .
moreover , color pencil/watercolor works are really nice'n beautiful!!
especially lower one is super nice!!

pete
ha!!!
wow!!
I hate you!!!
super awesome works!
I want your sketches!!
really really beautiful!
have you published your sketch book?
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

Chrisho
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Chrisho »

Great watercolors!
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

splinesmith--your building watercolors are really nice--tell me you studied architecture in school :D
Pica
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Pica »

Pete! Great stuff! We'll have to meet up in Davis sometime to sketch...

Alison/Pica
http://www.magpienest.org/feathersofhope/
http://www.magpienest.org/birdbybird
Michael Daley
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Michael Daley »

Wow, great drawings Eduardo Spline and Pete! Pete, i love that drawing with the transamerica building.

It was great to see everyone out and about and to enjoy beautiful San Francisco. Truly a magical place. Here are a few of my sketches, enjoy

PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

Biocreep
Nice toon style sketches!
your sketch seems like travel journal book!
Really sweet!!

DuttonArt
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by DuttonArt »

Wow, a lot of beautiful sketches since I last looked.... now I don't wanna share mine. :P

I unfortunately didn't stay the whole time, as I had to leave the City in the early afternoon. But as Eduardo mentioned, we had a tiny little group that branched off to different areas and had a nice time sketching.

I apologize for the poor quality of the images (both, the photos and the sketches themselves!), but my scanner is moving a little sluggishly. So I just hovered over my sketchbook and shot these under a tiny lamp... ahem, that's a breadboard underneath the book with crumbs from my devoured sandwich. Professional, huh? :P

-Mike
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

wow, those paintings are incredible, duttonart! Really eye-catching.
And I love the fisherman's wharf scenes, biocreep, excellent shading. Wicked stuff.
eduardo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by eduardo »

Look at all these different approaches!

Pete, I really like your variety of sketches there, pretty nice. I've never seen that Sinbad's place, though. Nice stuff actually putting green and brown in the water that's up close with reflections. Gutsy and it helps.

I really like Biocreep's approach in perspective, especially with the first drawing. We're about to see a story here! Is that cool grey marker or warm grey? I think it's gutsy how you went right into the 50%ish marker value range for the shades, but it still reads well.

Mike, you did that first one in 30 mins or so? Sheesh. You nailed atmospheric perspective and light there dude. Nice and simple palm trees. I can feel the warmth no kidding, and I really like the gesture in that old man. Hey now, I recognize that jacket and the side-burns! haha! It's interesting how you pull back the forms with a background color, and even without that "info" we can read the figures.

You all did super, I know it. I'm glad this project was created.
Last edited by eduardo on Wed Nov 07, 2007 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alisa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Alisa »

Really fantastic sketches everyone! I love seeing how different people set up their sketchbook compositions. Lots of great colors too, San Francisco crawlers!
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

DuttonArt
waao beautiful sketcjes!
I like first one!
great color and nice pen line!!

Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

Beautiful (gouache?) works DuttonArt! I really like your composition and how your sketches overlap and transition from one into the next.
Daniela
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Daniela »

Nice sketches everyone!
Here's the PIER 39 Carousel. I also did a gouache painting based on it the following day. You can see it here:
http://danielastrijleva.blogspot.com/

Return to “16th World Wide SketchCrawl”