San Francisco

Saturday August 25th 2007
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

heh still remembering those stairs? I had actually gone up and down the other ones (Telegraph Hill) but never filbert steps, it was a nice view. Did anybody sketch that view? I don't recall seeing it.

I actually don't mind the on the move aspect, not living in SF it gives me a chance to see what I may not otherwise see, but I am open to whatever location it is decided (being from out of town the only concern i have is parking, and getting back to the car). So if someone can give out pointers once the location is decided they will be appreciated.
marc_taro
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marc_taro »

To me the question is, are you into sketching people (eg, find a crowd) or things/places (eg, hit a museum, or draw architecture)....

So, the people tour:
Seems like a lot of crawlers like to draw people - which might be best done in a park or crowd - how about a run from the Arboretum in GG park to Ocean Beach, ending up with dinner somewhere in Richmond? (allows a pass at the ren fair if it looks promising)...

OR the things tour:
I'm thinking about say, an architectural tour pass though downtown (some great architecture around civic center), end up at the asian art museum for some still life of Jain sculptures - (wicked hard to draw :), could finish up anywhere around there - there's good indian and thai, even japan town is in striking distance...
Danny
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Danny »

I'm up for both (leaning towards the park)

also, on the very first sketchcrawl that I was able to go to, the first thing that was said was "hey everyone, meet in this area for lunch at 1pm then meet here at 3pm and here at 5pm for the show and tell sketchbook swap."

it was great and really cut down on the confusion I've been seeing in more recent crawls, plus people were able to meet up with us half way through the day...

so I say we push for that BEFORE we all show up on saturday... so people can catch up in the middle, and we don't stand around at the first location shrugging, etc...

I'll start (we just need to fill in the blanks)

11am: meet east side of GG Park at intersection of __blank__ and _blank__ (mingle, sketch, start crawling)
1pm: meet at/near __blank__ for lunch
3pm: meet at west side of GG Park at intersection of __blank__ and Ocean
5pm: meet at/near __blank__ for dinner and/or show and tell sketchbook swapping.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

heylo, San Francisco Crawlers ... looks like you guys have been busy figuring out a nice crawl for us all ... thanks for that ...

So GG Park ?
Sounds pretty good ... I like the Arboretum idea too, lot's of nice plants and flowers ...

e
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

I have not been to the new location for the DeYoung museum, but apparently they built a large parking lot.
It seems it costs $3/hr on weekends.

http://www.deyoungmuseum.org/deyoung/vi ... agekey=575

Weekends 7:30 a.m.–10 p.m. ($3.00/hour)
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

I don't mean to intrude, since I will just be visiting you guys from Tucson that day, but if you could make a decision in a couple of days, I would appreciate it, as I fly out to SF on Thursday and won't have access to a computer once I arrive.

Also, once decided, I would appreciate it if someone could kindly give me directions to whereever from the Marriott around Union Square.

Thanks so much and looking forward to meeting some of you.
gustavo
Site Admin
Site Admin
United States of America

Post by gustavo »

Here are directions on how to get to the GoldenGate Park (museum/parking lot) in case that is the place all agree upon.
The map suggests to use the freeway, hopefully someone that lives in SF can suggest a better route (in case this isn't it).

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&g ... &z=14&om=1
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Ok, thanks Seeker, however, I was hoping not to have to take a cab as I understand that SF has a subway system.
marc_taro
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by marc_taro »

Unfortunately the train doesn't run out as far west as Golden Gate
- but there 's a crosstown bus that takes about 15/20 min from Union Square.
- take the 38 Muni Bus on Geary, runs very frequently all day, till very late (1am I think)....

That'll take you all the way across town, and you can either walk 4 long blocks south to Fulton (north side of the park)
or get off the 38 on Geary and Park Presidio Blvd and transfer to the 28 going south into the park....

If we end up meeting at the the De Young (not a bad starting point)
thats on the east end of the park on JFK drive(close to 10th ave park entrance)...

Here's a map of the park:
http://www.aaccessmaps.com/show/map/sanfranciscowest
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Thanks Marc. I will await the final decision and when and where.
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Golden Gate Park

Post by frosti »

GG Park is a great locale, filled with interesting activities and people. Plenty of shade, and many characters. I wish I could join the crew this time around. Hopefully, I'll find some kindred souls in Shanghai. Have fun folks!
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

let's make it the DeYoung then ... 11am ...
We started there once before ... and even went up the view tower there, which is pretty neat ...

Anyway, yah there's plenty of other fun things to do in the park...
http://sfgate.com/traveler/guide/sf/nei ... park.shtml

should be a fun day ... which ever way we head ...

Donnam-
if you are downtown you can also take the N-juda muni line ... and get off at 9th Ave and Irving stop (one block from the park) ... then you'd have roughly a 15 minutes walk to the deyoung ...

e
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

Thanks Enrico--one more thing pls--how long should I allow from the Union Square area to get to the park on the bus? Thanks and should I be late, cuz the bus is late, does anyone have a cell phone number they want to give out so I can find you guys?
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

I am not familiar with the bus route so maybe someone else might answer that ... but I'd leave one hour before the meeting time if I were you ... just to be sure ...

you can use my cell number to check in through out the day ... 415 624-6842

e
donnam
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by donnam »

OK Enrico, thanks for the cell #. I didn't know there was a muni line-have looked it up on the net. Assume it is safe? Better than the bus?

Anyone at the Union Sq area that will be making this trip that I could hook up with?

Return to “15th World Wide SketchCrawl”