London

Saturday August 25th 2007
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

London

Post by Tom D »

Anyone else in London (UK) want to do the sketchcrawl?
joris
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by joris »

If everything will be alright, i'll be in London during the last two weeks of august. It'd be really nice to have a sketchcrawl then, though I can't guarantee anything yet...
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

i won't be, but i know someone who will, we sketchcrawled there last time, just us two; i'll let him know of the date
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

Thanks, Pete. Do you know of any prime locations? I am here from the US on a work visa, and have not been in London for very long.
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

we sketched along the thames from london bridge to the tate, spending a lot of time around borough market area, which is excellent for drawing on a saturday morning. But really, almost anywhere in london is good for sketching, i love soho for one (even though it means a lot of sitting on the dusty pavement), and south kensington would be good too, with the three big (and free) museums - i grew up sketching in the v&a.

Damn, i wish i were sketching in london now!
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

Good idea. I have been doing a bit more exploring. The south bank is excellent around the London Eye or the Tate. Seems especially good for drawing people. Perhaps we could start near there in the morning, focusing on people and characters. Later, we could go over to Soho or Covent Garden where the architecture is more diverse and concentrate on scenics.

No rules of course. Both locations seem good.
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

I just realized that Aug 27 (Monday) is a public holiday here in the UK. Everyone gets the day off. Any experienced UK residents know how this will affect the sketchcrawl? CAn we expect heavier crowds on that day, or lighter?
Sandra
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

hello!

Post by Sandra »

Hello there!

I would really like to join you, and I might even drag some extra people with me !... this will be our very first official sketch crawl, so be gentle Wink

To answer your question, Tom, London won't be any different be it a normal weekend or a bank holiday one, it is always packed full with people! the only difference that this particular weekend, is that Sunday and Monday is time again for "europe's biggest street party" the notting hill carnival http://www.mynottinghill.co.uk/nottingh ... nival1.htm
pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

That's true, which means avoid notting hill and ladbroke grove at all costs...lots to draw i'm sure, but honestly there are just too many people there, and transport can be a bugger. The rest of london carries on as normal though (ie, too many people and transport a bugger...)
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

Thanks for the suggestions. The Carnival looks tempting, but crowds could be a pain to deal with.

Two weeks to go, and I have been warming up. Here is a separate thread with my London sketchcrawlings:
viewtopic.php?t=2534
Rekha Sameer
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Re: London

Post by Rekha Sameer »

Tom D wrote:Anyone else in London (UK) want to do the sketchcrawl?
HI I live in london and would like to sketchcrawl...My email id is..
rekhasameer@googlemail.com
joris
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by joris »

seems like I wont be in London after all, a pitty...
I´ll think of you while crawling in Belgium..!
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

Well, best wishes for the Belgian sketchcrawl. Thanks for letting us know.

The drawings on your site are really excellent, Joris. An inspiration to all us sketchcrawlers.
Tom D
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Tom D »

The date of the sketchcrawl approaches, so I thought we ought to finalize plans for London. I propose the following route: sketching along the South bank of the Thames, from the London Eye to the National Theatre. That will give plenty of opportunity to observe people. There is also a small skate park along the route for action sketches. Following that, a trip across the river to Old Covent Garden, where there are better opportunities to sketch architecture and scenes with multiple figures. There are plenty of other places, but Old Covent Garden is a pedestrian mall with benches, steps and doorways to provide for decent seating. Alternative sketch location in case of rain would be at the National Gallery.

Meeting locations: on the South bank, meet at the London Eye at the place where the support cables are anchored to the ground. We can decide where to meet at Old Covent Garden. If we have to sketch at the National Gallery, meet inside the gallery at the Getty entrance (the ground floor off Trafalgar Square). There is a meeting area inside at the base of the stairs, outside the gift shop.

If anyone has any other ideas, please post them here. Start times are likewise open to discussion. I do not have internet access aside from at work, so I will not be able to know of any last minute updates. Please post any thoughts or concerns by 7pm or so on Friday.
ambassdor
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by ambassdor »

i'm down

Return to “15th World Wide SketchCrawl”