Los Angeles Results

A fundraiser drawing marathon to benefit war victims - May 19th 2007
sketchpencil
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by sketchpencil »

donnam wrote: sketchpencil--your first sketch is awesome--how did you wake up your left brain so early on?????
Thanks for the various compliments, and thanks to Peter Pen for posting my page.
I was trying for a sort of Francis Ching "Sketches from Japan" style, but Iquickly gave up on any proper perspective and just drew shapes. You can see a review of that book on my friend Anthony Zierhut's great Sketchblog:
http://www.anthonyzierhut.com/archive/2 ... chive.html
Donal
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Donal »

How do you guys do soooo well at capturing a person, especially a likeness. Just trying to draw someone in a robe standing around was tough enough because she kept moving.

Do you just take a mental picture and draw from memory, or constantly look at your subject?

Kickass sketches, BTW.
cookedart
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by cookedart »

Hey Donal,

Definitely as much as possible from memory. I try to memorize as many specifics about the person as possible in every look that I get, because I never know how long a person is going to stick around or stay still. I draw really quickly too with a pencil first and then tie it down afterwards, usually completely from my head.

So ya, I don't do one or the other, it's definitely a mix of the two, but I usually will be looking at my paper more than the subject unless I'm looking for something specific. Definitely hard to master!
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

Alan, thank you very much for helping me with the image links!! It works now!!

It's always inspiring to see everyone's drawings on the forum!! Thank you all for joining the LA Crawl, it's a great fun hanging out with you all!!
sketchpencil
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by sketchpencil »

Peter Pen wrote:
@ sketchpencil, we'd love to see your pictures right here ;-) I brought over one ... if you don't mind ...
Thanks again. I thought we were not encouraged to post here, just to provide a link??

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8386229@N0 ... 233316959/

Anyway, here is my other large drawing:

And here is my original comment:
"First drawing - first Sketcrawl- Santa Monica pier- suddenly I was surrounded by eight little inner city 3rd grade schoolgirls on a field trip, all eating slices of pizza at 11:00 AM - made me really miss my own girls at home (Mom offered to watch the kids so I could do this) - many questions: "who taught you to draw?" "Why's that line through his head?" "Shut up, he's good at it." - It was all a surprise, and I liked talking with the kids, wondering what my oldest will be like at that age. It set the tone for the day - so nice to step out of my everyday routine and spend a day doing something completely different!"

Ice-Cream Monster has a great water color of this same scene!
doodle dose
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by doodle dose »

Had a great time at Sketchcrawl. I'm sorry that I didn't get to meet everyone. All the drawings look great!!!! I think thats me in the hat and glasses next to Alina - thank you sketchpencil. Here are some of my doodles.

"... my doctor says i need to draw more."
http://www.doodledose.blogspot.com/
bluelily17
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by bluelily17 »

wOW these are great guys!
chrissycream
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by chrissycream »

doodle dose,

your drawings are lovely and i like the smooth colors. what markers do u use??
elorg
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by elorg »

How long did everyone hang out at the pier? I met Alina earlier that week and she told me about it - but I couldn't make it there in time for the start. I couldn't find anyone at the pier, so I'm assuming that I missed it.
=(
doodle dose
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by doodle dose »

chrissycream,

thank you. i use iMac Markers. (digitally colored) :wink:
"... my doctor says i need to draw more."
http://www.doodledose.blogspot.com/
storydesign
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by storydesign »

we made it to the pier late, sorry to miss everybody- we sketched on the promenade nearby, some really great work here-- I like your iMac markers Doodle. everybody did some great, fun drawings.

there was a computer painting demo going on at the local artbook store.. I am hoping they post something.
alberts-art
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by alberts-art »

Salve ! Tempo fà credevo che il disegno sarebbe molto necessario per cogliere un movimento espressivo...ma il disegno è bello anche da fermo !
Bravi....a presto
albert
http://alberts-art.blogspot.com/
Xavier
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Xavier »

These sketches look awesome! I love the caricatures and the landscape drawings of the pier! Great job guys!
Biscuit Maker
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Biscuit Maker »

Great work, guys! I knew folks from my old stomping grounds were going to rock this sketchcrawl. Thanks for these drawings.

Ronnie del Carmen

pete
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by pete »

awesome stuff, really wicked, i was in santa monica a few weeks ago myself doing some sketchcrawling along the beach and the promenade and down ocean park. What a great place. storydesign, great colours, and that pic of the guy at borders cafe drawing, i sat in that very same chair just weeks ago drawing the street and the big white clock tower while some rappers rapped, i had a wierd icy peanut butter shake thing that dripped all over the place.

Return to “14th World Wide SketchCrawl”