East Bay/Berkeley Results

Saturday March 17th 2007!
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

What a great day it was on St. Patrick's day! Good turnout, the campus was gorgeous, and the weather was wonderful. (We're having spring early this year. In two weeks we will be having summer, then by July the temperatures will be in the 140s. Send rain!!!) :o

Here are some of my sketches from the day:

Like some others, I headed straight to the Life Sciences building to sketch dinosaur bones...

Then took off in a northeast direction, and ended up on the steps of the main library. There were some Chinese students rehearsing for some kind of a show, including ribbon dancing. Also, there was a lot of people enjoying the sun in Memorial Glade--playing frisbee, roller blading, and in the case of one bizarre individual, rolling down the hill in a giant cardboard tube. (I think Californians tend to get a little case of cabin fever during the winter, so when the sun comes out, so does the tendency to get a little crazy outside.)
(This is looking up the hill across Memorial Glade, toward Evans Hall and the Earth Sciences building.)

Then after our 2pm meeting at the Camponile (aka Sather Tower), I headed over to Sproul Plaza, then off campus along Telegraph Avenue to check out the street vendors. (I swear I am going to give color another try next time--it would have come in handy this time with all those tie-dyed t-shirts!)

Then lastly heading back over to the cafe, and passing the gymnasium:

Great day, and I even got a little suntan!
:D
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions
Chris Chua
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

more from the East Bay!

Post by Chris Chua »

Here's more sketchcrawl from me!!!

Chris Chua
Blog (Artwork):
http://cchua001.blogspot.com

Animation:
http://cchuareels.blogspot.com
rainboy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by rainboy »

wow... u guys have a big group! Lots of beautiful sketches from East BAy!
Scott Morse
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

More!

Post by Scott Morse »

There's a bunch more posted from the Berkeley crawl on my blog...sorry for having to link out!

http://scottmorse.blogspot.com
scottmorse.blogspot.com
Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

Because one of my friends was late, my mini group deviated a bit from the main group on campus. We did sneak into a baseball game though!

BART heads

Scooters/bikes parked alongside the campus. Can anyone identify the last two for me?

Cal Bears vs. Rhode Island Rams

I thought it was strange that they added the eye to the pterodactyl, so I didn't include it.
joris
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by joris »

awesome sketches everyone! The landscape sketches evoke a really nice atmosphere!
I'm really impressed by your thumbnail studies of people, karen, the scrible style adds a lot of nice to them.
And go Sketchosaurus!
annimator
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by annimator »

Dang! There are so many nice sketches from the last SC! I'm bummed that I wasn't able to participate this time.

Going in reverse:

Karen - Fantastic action gesture drawings of baseball players! The scooters almost look like they could be characters (like the cars in "Cars"). Not many people did head studies this time around so it was good to see that you did some! I like the simple lines and your color choices in your dinosaur bone drawings.

Chris Chue - The quick sketch of the dog is great. The loose lines make it look like he's wagging his tail.

Splinesmith - You did so many drawings that I don't know where to begin.
Your T-Rex drawing people is funny and really imaginative. So is the one of the two pterodactyls complaining about having a big head. Great thumbnails of people in action! I like the 2 drawings of guys chillin' in front of their stands, surrounded by their ware.

Scott Morse - The low perspective is interesting in your drawing looking up at the people. Nice use of loose lines and watercolor in all of your pieces.

Gary - Dramatic angle looking down on the T-Rex. I like the shading on the bust (The OTHER kind of bust you guys! Jeez!).

Hoffman - It's interesting that you chose to draw the newt and frog in jars. It's a pretty weird and unique subject that you don't see in drawings every day.

Chris Chua - Your drawing of a guy ordering coffee is interesting because it's of a person communicating with someone else.

Martha - I like the foliage that you added to your architecture drawings. Plants really help to soften the hard lines of buildings. The details that you added in the walls gives them some texture. Also, good job on the pterodactyl.

Pete - Awesome sketches! I also love the Brazil Cafe because it captures the Berkeley atmosphere. Your drawings would make really nice postcards.

2dAnimator - I love the way you drew the Welman Hall building in a cartoony style by bending the building and ground, and by using fun colors.

Rebecca - You did a lot of drawing! South Hall turned out great. I like how the decorative grate on top, the steps at the bottom and the trees at the left and right frames the building. Your Pterodactyl and T-Rex skull are great. I also like the sketch of people in a cafe.

Oliver - Your sketchbook page composition is really interesting. Your eyes get pulled down the page to the bottom right corner where there's a bunch of squirrels hanging out. Cool!

Okay, my main accomplishment today is that I don't have to look up the spelling of Pterodactyl anymore : )
budamonsta
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by budamonsta »

Here is my part for the day, I got up late so I didn't run into anyone except for a friend that I called but I was there:

Return to “13th World Wide SketchCrawl”