East Bay/Berkeley

Saturday March 17th 2007!
Ann-D
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Ann-D »

Or Cafe Strada on Bancroft and College:

http://www.shopinberkeley.com/c/cafestrada/index.php

It's a nice place to sit and observe and it's also practically on campus as well as the fabulous Berkeley art museum and the hills!

It's my favorite place to be in Berkeley.
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

Emma:

The Fourth Street area is 1-3 blocks north of University. It's got a bunch of upscale (for Berkeley) stores (including http://www.castleintheair.biz/ an arty place), is interesting looking, and has lots of sketching opportunities.

You should definitely check it out while you're in Berkeley. It's probably not ideal for the Sketchcrawl though, since it is not walking distance to any of the other areas we've been talking about.
-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

Zachary's Pizza is yummy but generally packed, so might not be ideal, especially if we have a large group.

We might want to meet on the grass on campus somewhere, or if we end up in North Berkeley, at Live Oak Park.
-martha

Pica
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Pica »

So: Tilden's not happening, then?
Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

SC13 is less than two weeks away...I think it might be prudent to solidify what we want to do. So...to summarize some of the ideas we have so far by post order:

Tilden Park
Lawrence Hall of Science
Gourmet Ghetto
4th Street
Cafe Strada+Berkeley Art Museum+Hills
North Berkeley/Live Oaks Park

Just to make things more confusing...some more ideas :P
Strawberry Creek, DOE Library (fifth biggest academic library in the US), Berkeley Marina, UC Botanical garden, and Valley Life Science Building (on campus) which has a big old T-rex skeleton in the main atrium.
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

Why don't we do a campus crawl? There's the Campanile (is that how it's spelled?), a lot of old and interesting buildings, squirrels, and apparently a tyrannosaurus rex!

Does this sound good to everyone? We could meet at that western park-kind of thing at Cal, where University intersects with the campus?
Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

Campus sounds good. Emma, do you mean the intersection of University with the campus over here by the red arrow? I'm guessing you meant Western Entrance, not Western Park :P

A complete map can be found here.

We'll also need a meeting time of course. I don't know about the Berkeley group, but that for the SF crowd has customarily been 11 AM.
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

Haha, yeah. Western Entrance! Every time I walk by I can see it down the side streets, and it looks, you know, grassy... like a park..

What do you all say?
Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

Sounds good to me! What time to meet up?
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

Let's say 11 am. That way it won't be too much of a pain for people coming from Fremont (nudge nudge) or somewhere down there.. or San Francisco.

Now, how about places in the area that are big enough for all of us to pack into and chill out and talk about the day...? Someplace heartily supplied with coffee, or beer.

I'll work on a flyer, so we can officially get the word out in the real world (as opposed to the internet and forums).
Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

Y'know, I'm a disgusting morning person without caffeine or sugar. 11 am is late to me, Emma! :lol:
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

Ack! Something just came up and it looks like I'm going to have to be in Los Angeles the weekend of Sketchcrawl 13! I've got the flyer for the Berkeley crawl all done and everything, so I'll post it here - Oliver, would you completely hate stepping up to be fearless crawl leader? You know the campus and you've been going at least as long as I have!

Karen - 11 am late? That's when I would just be crawling out of bed, if it weren't for alarm clocks and jobs and chores and stuff. :P
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

11:00am at University and Oxford sounds good.

There are 2 brewpubs in downtown Berkeley:

http://www.triplerock.com/
http://www.jupiterbeer.com/jupiter/

And of course, plenty of cafes as well.
-martha

Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

This is the greatest and heaviest of burdens; I will shoulder it. :wink:
Rebecca
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Parking?

Post by Rebecca »

Hi,
I hope to make it this time. Is there a best place to park? If it's a garage, how much is it?

Return to “13th World Wide SketchCrawl”