East Bay/Berkeley

Saturday March 17th 2007!
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

East Bay/Berkeley

Post by emma »

Hey guys, I'm going to be living in Berkeley for this sketchcrawl, and I know several of you are in the East Bay (and if you're in SF, well it's just a bart ride away...) and I thought it might be fun to do a crawl in Berkeley, since I can't think of anywhere in SF we haven't already done (except maybe the Tenderloin, but I'm not hardcore enough for that yet!).

If anyone's interested, I put out for consideration Tilden Park in Berkeley, Lawrence Hall of Science (great view, tons of exhibits/animals/science/dinosaur bones), or ... something!?

If there's not much interest, I'll abort and go do the SF crawl. Anyone?
martha
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by martha »

Count me in for a Berkeley SketchCrawl! I like your ideas. There is also the UC campus, the North Berkeley "gourmet ghetto", or the 4th street area.
-martha

*** Trumpetvine Sketchblog ***
klocsta
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by klocsta »

i will be down and im sure i can get a bunch of people at school to participate.
Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

martha wrote:.. the North Berkeley "gourmet ghetto",..
There's also the North side Asian ghetto, and the South side Asian ghetto, neither of which I can really describe as gourmet :P

I think it might be neat to combine the East bay and the SF group just for once to do a crawl in Berkeley. Sort of a pan-Bay Area event!

Edit: I'm just throwing out a crazy idea...a thought...and not meaning for it to sound official or anything :)
Last edited by Oliver on Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

Yeah, Oliver! I'm totally not trying to like... secede from the SF group. Ironically I'm going to be living now in Berkeley but know San Francisco better, thanks to sketchcrawls!

We could always wander around somewhere in the East Bay during most of the day and then call the SF'ers to see where they've finished at, and take the BART in to see 'em?
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by frosti »

Given the lack of chatter in the SF thread, this may be the thing to do - heck I didn't even know there was an east bay group! (though it makes sense).

Congratulations on your move Emma! When's your new gig start?
Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

Welcome and Congrats Emma! Best of luck on your new ventures.

Berkeley is my Alma mater, and I've been trying forever to get friends from college (and still in college) to drag their lazy butts to a SketchCrawl. If SketchCrawl was "coming" to Berkeley, they'd of course, have no excuse :P

Some ideas about organizing the Berkeley Crawl...

Submit to the events bulletin at the UC website's event page

Get coverage in the school paper the Daily Cal

Collaborate with various Cal student clubs like Art at Cal, Art Club at Berkeley, Graffiti is Art, Art History and Appreciation, life imitates art, UC Berkeley Art Club the Creative Minds, HAUGA (History of Art Undergrad Student Associations), 0 Cal Artists 0, deviantART, and um...I love Pretty Ugly Things
Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

I forgot to mention that the list of student organizations was found, and only viewable through facebook.
Ann-D
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Ann-D »

I'll be arriving in Berkeley sometime the 17th :) I think I might be too jetlagged to come out to play, but please keep me updated as to where you're meeting (mail me at anna@annadenise.nl). I will be staying with my boyfriend at the iHouse on the UC Berkeley campus! Perhaps we can meet up to draw some other time!
janabouc
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Oh Goody! No excuses this time.

Post by janabouc »

I'd love to join in too. I'll watch for updates and invite my painting group.
Jana
maxist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

berkeley sketchcrawl

Post by maxist »

hey guys,

Berkeley sounds great! and coverage in the Daily Cal wouldn't be a problem seeing that I'm the production manager and could easily slip in a "fill" into one of the sections.

there is indeed a lot of unexplored space in Berkeley for sketchers to roam. I vote for a meeting area around campus.
Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

Berkeley sounds like a good option to me! :)
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

Meeting up near/on campus sounds good to me... what do the rest of you think? Gourmet ghetto is good, too. I'm planning on doing some biking around next week, and will keep an eye out with Sketchcrawl in mind for interesting places in the area to draw, but if you UC Berkeley/local people have ideas, toss them out! We've still got a month to plan.

What streets does the northside (and then southside) asian ghetto sit on, Oliver? Right now my area of expertise in Berkeley is driving up and down University... :shock:
We should definitely put out the word through Facebook (and the paper - great!). Seems like we could get a pretty big crowd!

Martha - tell me about the 4th street area? Is this the kind of warehouse district where Vik's indian food is, or is it north of University?

Keep the suggestions coming!
Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

The North one is on Hearst and Euclid, the South one near Durant and Telegraph. They're both these tiny driveway sized pockets lined with restaurants to get tasty takeout. Nice places to have lunch, but not really to have a SketchCrawl centered around. I pointed them out only because I was hungry. :P
Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

How about Zachary's Pizza?

http://www.zacharys.com/berkeley.html

Return to “13th World Wide SketchCrawl”