New York City

Saturday December 9th 2006
M
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

New York City

Post by M »

Come on, all you reclusive new yorkers. I'm fairly reclusive myself, but something about traveling in wild pack, armed with sketchbooks and writing instruments, is very exciting.

By December 9th it will surely be quite cold. I think maybe some subway sketching and the museum of natural history might be nice.

I'm gonna try to go on personal sketchcrawls all the time, but I enjoy watching others work too.
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

I concurr!

Post by slavidzee »

And may I suggest some cafe sketching for lunch and dinner/drinks at the end?
That is, if we get more people this time.
M
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by M »

That is a splendid idea. Perhaps this time I can convince some people to come.
Alisa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Alisa »

Huzzah! I should be in town for this one. Come on NY! Let's go draw! Mmm, I've been to the Met and the Museum of Natural History for more sketchcrawls than I can count, so lets try somewhere different this time. If anyone has suggestions, speak up!

Also, I'm planning a NY sketchcrawl for probably early November at the Cloisters Museum when the leaves are changing. I'll post more info here it that's ok. If you want to get on my email list for sketchcrawl NYC drop a note to alisamharris (at) hotmail (dot) com
bobbyopulent
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by bobbyopulent »

I agree, I haven't made it to a sketchcrawl yet (not from lack of trying!) But all NYers have been to the Met, I'd like to start somewhere fresh. How about The Morgan Library? Other thoughts -

DTUT (great, large coffee house on the upper east side, good place to end, coffee and alcohol)

Brooklyn Botanical Gardens/Brooklyn Museum (not a tough trip)

Bryant Park

West Village (lots of secluded, twisting, turning streets, lots of growth - trees and such)

Madison Square Park/Flatiron Building/Gramercy - lots of interesting architecture, not swarming with people to the point of annoyance and maybe we can successfully storm the elitist Gramercy Park (ha! well.. probably not)

if you really want to end somewhere interesting, McSorely's in the east village (oldest bar in the city - Gangs of NY era)

Just please... anything but the Met

Any piers (though we'll probably freeze)
Caricatures
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Caricatures »

I work a lot on weekends.
Only made it to one sketchcrawl so far.

If I turn out to be available on December 9, 2006,
I'd show up. Just tell me when and where. And tell me who to look for.
Not Just Some Drawing Broad!
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Great ideas yose!

Post by slavidzee »

Whoa, DT/UT is only... like my favorite cafe! In fact, I've even gone there for the purpose of sketching, and I don't really do this kind of stuff often.

Great ideas all around. let's do this!
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

NYC Preliminary Itinerary

Post by slavidzee »

Hey All, I'd like to lay down a preliminary itinerary:

9AM: Bryant Park the picnic chairs on the N-E side (facing the starbucks at the corner? Can someone verify?)
*Inclement weather alternative: NY Public Library*

11:00am - Noonish: A Museum of our choosing. Whitney?

2pm Early afternoon: Subway Ride to Brooklyn

3pm: Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. (Maybe earlier, if it's getting dark)
*Alt: Brooklyn Musuem

5pm: Miscelaneous trendy shops in the neighborhood (Does anyone know the area?)? We can sketch till they kick us out :-)

7-8PM DT/UT

Waddaya think? Please edit with your suggestions! We can definitely shorten our itinerary too, if it feels too long. I just really wana go all-out.
M
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by M »

:[ I'm inunadated with homework, I think I will be only able to make it for a part of the day, or perhaps not at all.

Nice intinerary, though.
bobbyopulent
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Itinerary

Post by bobbyopulent »

sounds good to me, as far as museums the morgan library is close to bryant park/NYPL and has just reopened after 2 years of renovations. I'd like to suggest there.

Matt
bobbyopulent
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

5pm

Post by bobbyopulent »

I have to admit there isn't much near the brooklyn museum, although there is a great little diner. i don't have anything else to suggest on that.
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by slavidzee »

Hi all, ok, so i'm definitely down with checking out the Morgan, since i've never been there before. I'm also tuncating the day down because I now have a knicks game to goto (it's a birthday gift!) Anyway, I sure hope it's not just us 2, bobyopulent, but I plan to stick to this itinerary no matter what. And of course, I will continue to futilely invite my (lame) friends.
Cheers!
Dave

9AM: Bryant Park the picnic chairs on the N-E side (facing the starbucks at the corner? Can someone verify?)
*Inclement weather alternative: Morgan Libe*

11:00am - Noonish: A Museum of our choosing. Whitney?

2pm Early afternoon: Subway Ride to Brooklyn

3pm: Brooklyn Botanical Gardens. (Maybe earlier, if it's getting dark)
*Alt: Brooklyn Musuem

I
bobbyopulent
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by bobbyopulent »

haha, It may be. I'm down with that, I have a bachelor party to go to afterwards anyway....mine.
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by slavidzee »

Bobyopulent, I question your dedication to this craft, I really do. Taking long pensive walks to sketch your surroundings is the definition of bachelors party!
Just kidding, and CONGRATULATIONS!
tomtravers
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by tomtravers »

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I just made this account a moment ago having only recently discovered Sketch Crawl and noticing that there were some New Yorkers on the boards trying to pull something together!

I am on Long Island and I plan on joining you folks! It's gonna be damn cold...

Return to “12th World Wide SketchCrawl”