Chicago sketchcrawl!

Saturday December 9th 2006
snmcdowell
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Chicago sketchcrawl!

Post by snmcdowell »

I know some sketchy Chicagoans who want to have a sketchcrawl. It will be pretty cold, so I think it would be best to do some sketching indoors. I have taken the liberty of organizing the first stop of the day, the Auditorium Theater at 50 East Congress Pkwy. I have obtained permission for us to sketch in the theater from 9-10:15 AM (the only time available that day). Enter at the front doors on Congress (between Michigan Ave and Wabash Ave). The doors will be locked but a guest services member will be there to let us in. We will have access to all the great sketching spaces including the box office and first floor lobbies, main auditorium theater, and the inglenooks in the dress circle lobby.

The theater is currently updating the architectural history page of their website and is interested in posting some of the resulting sketches!

Afterwards, where should we go next?
Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

Good luck group Chicago! I lived very near there a couple years ago, and did do some sketching. Chicago's an amazing place and I'm sure you'll find a lot to do.
Peeweesgrandkiddrew
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Peeweesgrandkiddrew »

You know, I dont thing there is anyone else who is in st. louis.....so i was wondering...can I join chicago?
I mean..I'm not sure what to do! :?
Any suggestions?
DREW
snmcdowell
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

All are welcome!

Post by snmcdowell »

Drew, you are definately welcome. It's open to anyone who wants to come. I made sure to request permission for a big group at the Auditorium Theater. Just show up, and bring lots of friends!
John Juan
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John Juan »

Wish I still lived in Chicago. I'd love to sketch with all of you. The Bay Area in Cali was a good trade though. Have fun!
poofsizzle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Question

Post by poofsizzle »

:?: I picked up a flier for the sketchcrawl at a local Ice Cream shop. Ok actually it was one of those things where your tear the tab off at the bottom and I tore the tab. I am really excited. I was wondering if there was somewhere I could go to print off some of the sheets so that I can help spread the word... :?:
snmcdowell
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Need Volunteers to Help Flier - Get a Sketchcrawl Sticker!

Post by snmcdowell »

I have made a flier for the Chicago sketchcrawl. It would be great to get some volunteers to help me flier around Chicago! Plus, anyone who helps me flier will get a cool Sketchcrawl sticker on the day of the sketchcrawl!

If you would like to help post fliers, please send me a private message (use the "PM" link right below this post) with your email address and I'll be happy to email you a PDF of the flier.

If you flier, always remember to post fliers only in approved locations and always ask permission from the owner first. Suggested places to flier: office breakrooms, coffee shops, art supply stores, college campuses, libraries, grocery stores, etc.
Sketchyduo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Chicago Sketchcrawl!!

Post by Sketchyduo »

I'm so glad there's going to be a sketchcrawl in Chicago! My friends and I saw the flier for it at Blicks on State Street Fri. Has there been any sketchcrawls in Chicago before?
snmcdowell
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Need Inspiration?

Post by snmcdowell »

Check out Stephen Wiltshire, the "Living Camera."
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2006 ... ing-p1.php
Gives new meaning to "world's largest drawing marathon!"
snmcdowell
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Itinerary for Saturday's Chicago Sketchcrawl

Post by snmcdowell »

Here's the final itinerary for Saturday's Sketchcrawl. Because it will be cold, we will spend the day sketching indoors. We will be outside briefly as we walk between buildings.

1. Auditorium Theater, 50 E. Congress Pkwy, 9:30-10:15 AM
Places to sketch: box office, 1st floor lobbies, main theater, inglenooks in dress circle lobby

2. The Rookery Building, 209 S. La Salle St, 10:30-11:15 AM
Places to sketch: Interior courtyard

3. 181 West Madison, 11:30-12:00
Places to sketch: lobby

4. Lunch: 12:15-1:00
Bring your own or purchase lunch in the loop.

5. Chicago Cultural Center, 78 E. Washington Street, 1:15 PM-?
(This stop will begin with a free guided architecture tour. The tour departs from the Randolph lobby information desk at 1:15 PM. During the tour, you may sketch on-the-fly or you may select a spot on the tour to sketch afterwards.) Places to sketch: you choose!

Return to “12th World Wide SketchCrawl”