Los Angeles SketchCrawl

Saturday September 23rd 2006
storydesign
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

LA to SF

Post by storydesign »

sorry Los Angelenos...
I didn't see your posts until after the sketchcrawl-- for some reason I couldn't find the current forum. Pasadena would've been great too..

I woke up at 5am Saurday..unable to go back to sleep-read email. SKETCHCRAWL!! .. and hit the road on impulse to join in the San Francisco crawl

..got on wrong highway, Hwy 99... Oh well.. no worries.. just keep on sketching

..a beautiful drive!
but enjoyed being lost in Central California-figured I would never arrive in time-
kept sketching on laptop at rest-stops headed for Bay area (200 miles to go.. it was noon).

arrived in Sausalito 3pm, saw several sketchbooks walking north around Cafe Trieste

..parked at the ferry and found a nice cafe in N side where I met friends from the local area.. until 5pm

...met one lone sketchcrawler on the dock as the 6:20pm ferry departed

-------------------------
even my grandson Dylan, in Hubert, North Carolina
did a solo sketchcrawl on Saturday

Last edited by storydesign on Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

Cool to see such a big LA turnout! I recognize a couple of faces in the photo... :D

That's a long drive you made yesterday, storydesign. I like the Gorman water-tower (or whatever that thing is)... always a landmark on my drives down to LA, because when you pass it you know you're almost there.
Have you got one of those tablet pcs, or just laptop and tablet? I really, really like that last sketch. Very loose, great colors.
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Trying to post drawings ...

Post by Ice-Cream Monster »

Jim great to see your drawings in SF too!! We will have another one in LA next time for sure!!

Thank you John for the group photo. OK ... I am trying to post drawings in this forum ... last time it hasn't been too successful ... let's me give it a try again.

Somehow it wouldn't let me post images :( ... have to use a link:

http://alinanimation.blogspot.com/2006/ ... art-1.html

May be someone can point me how to post images at the forum. For some reason, it doesn't give me the option to post images. :?
2danimator
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by 2danimator »

storydesign,

i hope you didn't draw those drawings while driving! :D. shucks, you should get an award or something for your efforts. in all due respect, in my line of work of architecture, your situation sounds like getting to the building department in order to submit drawings at 5:01pm knowing that they close at 5:00pm. they liteally shut the doors on you because they've shut their computers down fort the day and can't take them anyways. like you, i just enjoy the town that i was going before my two hour trip home. oh well, live and learn. it's happened to everyone.

suggestion: next time get someone's cell phone number and let them know you're on the way. there's usually a big party afterwards where everyone is checking out each other's sketchbooks. just a suggestion. good luck next time. :D

Vern
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

storydesign
wow great digi-sketches!!
really beautiful colors!!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

nicolette
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by nicolette »

Hi John, thanks for posting the group shot! And of course thanks again to Alina for setting it all up. It was nice meeting everyone who showed.
Storydesign, too bad you drove way up north, but it looks like it was well worth it; nice sketches.
here is a link to my blog and sketches from the crawl. Ill be checking back here frequently for the next one. :D

http://nics-sketchbook.blogspot.com/200 ... wl-11.html
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

Great Sketches LA crawlers!

doodle dose - great group photo and sketches on your blog.

alina - nice job coordinating the LA group. Love your sketches.

jojo - good stuff.

Hi Storydesign, it was good to meet you and Kelly. I really like your
posts, especially the lady walking the dog digital sketch. You have
excellent work on your blog as well. Hope you had a good time in
the Bay Area and hope you have a good drive back.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Nice sketches Alina !!
Not sure why it's not letting you link directly to images, but no biggie ...

StoryDesign- wow man, that's a long drive ... amazing ... too bad we missed you in Sausalito ... well great drawings !! Interesting to see digital work ... nice colors ....

Nicolette- wow, wonderful .... lovely work ... those little crawlers characters are really great ...

e
storydesign
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

LA-SF

Post by storydesign »

It was a blast sketching along the drive..
It was a very spontaneous move at 5am-- on saturday am checking email-- noticing sketchcrawl in Bay Area..
--and out the door by 6:30-- I needed the break and visiting old friends up north and making new one(s).. I love San Francisco!!

Glad to hear of such a great LA turnout ..
look foward to meeting up soon.

Hey Gerald! Glad we connected! Kelly's daughter Natalie did several drawings as the ferry departed.
emma- I used a fujitsu stylistic slate.. been playing with it a few weeks and having fun... just need to keep near a power source.
Thanx Enrico for a great artistic venue!
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

try this again!

For some reason I follow the kind advises everyone tell me, but image posting still doesn't seem to work on me ... instead it creates bunch of empty entry.

Sooo get back using link instead, here is part 2:
http://alinanimation.blogspot.com/2006/ ... art-2.html
Ice-Cream Monster
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

one more try ...

YAY!! It works this time. I post short little stories about all the drawings from the day in my blog also: http://alinanimation.blogspot.com/2006_ ... chive.html

Hummm ... this image thingie doesn't seem to like me much, sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't ... :?
Last edited by Ice-Cream Monster on Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
lexidawn
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by lexidawn »

Wow you guys had quite a group! That's killer! :D

jojo: Looks like trees are your forte! Awesome!

storydesign: I really like your style - and the coloring is awesome looking. Great job!

nicolette: Great simple style - I really like how you captured so many different people.

Ice-Cream Monster: Your sketches are so intricate! I really love that. I especially like the plaza area sketch!
Danny
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Danny »

storydesign wow, cool style!!
storydesign
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

LA-SF

Post by storydesign »

:D thanx lexidawn and Danny.. wish I had time to do more in Sausalito and SF. next time!

Gerald, good to meet you too..you do beautiful work!! JM
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

@ jojo: yellow is the new autumn – I like your umbrella-sketch! Hope, you don’t mind if I post it here?

@ storydesign: great to have you back sketching here again (esp. if you do some wonderful ones like these again) – you know, that you’ve been my first flickr-contact? Please, say hello to the young lad, who did a great job on his sketch!

@ nicolette: great tone in your works – I had to bring some of them over to here. I hope you don’t mind either!

@ Ice-Cream Monster: nice composition and beautiful light and swifty sketches as always!!

Return to “11th World Wide SketchCrawl”