NYC sketchcrawl

Saturday September 23rd 2006
Goldenavatar
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler
Location: Earth, Western Hemisphere, Northern Continental Landmass

NYC sketchcrawl

Post by Goldenavatar »

Just posting to find out if anyone in NYC is organizing a sketchcrawl since I didn't see one already here. If you're putting on together I'd like in on it. We've already got a date settled if the forum is correct so all that we really need is a location and a time.

I'll take some initiative and suggest a time & locations:
The American Museum of Natural History Central Park West, West 79th Street
and/or
The Metropolitan Museum of Art 1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street, Eastside of Central Park.

You can get travel information from the sites themselves with the links provided. The Natural history museum closes at 5/6pm and the Met closes at 9. If anything I think meeting at the Natural History Museum at around 2pm would give us plenty of people and things to sketch until they closed.

For the folks in the Bronx, with the summer weather coming to an end I would've suggested the Bronx museum of the arts after getting in touch with the folks there, but they're still uner renovations right now. It's definetly an option that'll have to wait until October when they re-open unless I can find a studio willing to host before then. I wouldn't mind suggesting the Park across the street from the Bronx County Courthouse, for next year in th summer since it's got the sculptures, the farmers market and all that nice foot traffic. I'm also up for ideas on locations in Queens and Brooklyn, so speak up.
Alisa
Uber Crawler
Uber Crawler

Post by Alisa »

oh man, I have the worst luck for sketch crawl sessions this year. I'm gonna be in Ottawa on that day, but I'm sure some of the regular NY crowd will be around to join you.
mariecoons
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by mariecoons »

I'm interested in doing the sketch crawl - September 23rd would work for me - anyone else? metropolitan museum is ok...what about tompkin square park if the weather is nice? interesting people watching place.
suzartist
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

NYC SketchCrawl

Post by suzartist »

I think Sept 23 is a great date, I would like to participate. I can gather a few others as well. Met Museum is good because it has parking (for out of towners) and also plenty of other things for us to do (if we have kids or family members who want to come along).
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

sounds great !! You guys have fun in NYC !!!

e
M
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by M »

I would like to join up if this is happening.
Goldenavatar
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Goldenavatar »

Alright, looks like the Met @ 2pm(?) will be the place I'll be for the sketchcrawl. I know someone suggested Thompkins Square park if the weather is still good, so don't take the above info I've provided to mean that the Met is the only place a sketchcrawl is going to happen in NYC, it's just where I'm going to be and I hope others will join in.

That said, does anyone have a problem with 2pm or the Met? If it's too early or not the right place let me know, we've still got a good week to make changes.

Now before I forget, the address is The Metropolitan Museum of Art 1000 Fifth Avenue at 82nd Street, Eastside of Central Park. If you need directions, the website link provided is the best reference at your disposale. I got in touch with the folks at the Met and unless someone's bringing paints and canvases we really don't need to announce ourselves unless we're a sizeable group. I'll post up a specific location in the museum I'll be waiting for folks in a few, until then.
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

sketchcrawl

Post by slavidzee »

I WILL BE THERE!!
<Grits teeth and firmly "pencils it in">
twolle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by twolle »

This is really exciting, I just moved to the city and I'd been hoping something like this might happen. I'll be there at 2 on Saturday, barring catastrophe.
Goldenavatar
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Goldenavatar »

So folks have a location we can meet up at within the museum, you'll be able to find me on the first floor in the European Sculpture & Decorative Arts section of the museum. It should be in the south/left side of the building. I do recall their being a little sculpture garden right at a small cafe opening with benches all about it. That's where you'll be able to find me. I don't off hand recall if it's the American Cafe, or the Petrie Court cafe, but I'd check the Petrie Court cafe first.

If you need a floor plan for the museum to aid you in your search, please use this link provided here. If the weather isn't great, I'll be wearing a thundercats hooded sweatshirt, if it's not, I'll be wearing a khaki military style jungle cap with the neck string on the rim.

It's been a while since I took the subway on a regular basis into Manhattan, so just a heads up the latest I maybe is 3pm if there's any maintenance/construction being performed on the lines I have to take into the city. Once again, this isn't an official meet-up spot. I hope that you all organize little sketchcrawls wherever you like with folks. If by chance we are unable to meet, just find a spot in the museum and sketch away anyway and make the most of the time you have.

I also have a message I came across on the conceptart.org forum about the Agora Gallery having a showing, info below:
I would like to invite you to our upcoming exhibition that may be of interest to you. Prism of One showcasing the surrealistic paintings of Rochelle Fogel

Prism of One runs from September 28 to October 18, 2006. The reception takes place on Thursday, October 5th, 6-8 PM at Agora Gallery, 530 West 25th Street in Chelsea, New York.

To view Fogel's paintings, please visit
http://www.agora-gallery.com/ArtistInvi ... Fogel.aspx

Best regards,

Amanda Aaron
Public Relations Department
Agora Gallery

530 West 25th Street, in Chelsea, New York
http://www.Agora-Gallery.com
M
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by M »

I will be on a sketchcrawl by myself in the morning, and will be around the american sculpture garden around 2. That's the one with the bronze pan playing the flute by a fountain, right?
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by slavidzee »

I'll meet you guys at the sculpture garden at 2pm.
:DL
M
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by M »

Hmm, that was a little disappointing... I'm not sure where everyone else was, but I found only one other sketchcrawler. I did some crappy drawings, perhaps to be posted at a future date.
twolle
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by twolle »

sorry I couldn't make it, I never made it out of Brooklyn :(
slavidzee
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by slavidzee »

I did some sketches along with M at the sculpture garden.

I really need someone to yell "sketchcrawl!" again, so that I'll have the impetus to get out and draw. It was revelatory!

Return to “11th World Wide SketchCrawl”