San Francisco results

Saturday July 1st 2006!
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

San Francisco results

Post by emma »

The turnout wasn't bad! I didn't remember to get a list of names at the beginning, but we had veterans Kevin, Oliver, Paul, Danny, John Juan (can't remember your real name!!), Ryan, and Vern, as well as first-timers Paula (who got us started out on the right foot, led us to a park in Chinatown, and then unfortunately had to leave early), John, Genevive, Anne, Erin, and Jonathan.

I know I'm forgetting some people - there were plenty of photos taken, so if someone will post some I'll fix the list to include everyone.

We met at Market, then walked up to a park in Chinatown and sketched there for a while. After that we went to the Grace cathedral, which apparently has a Peet's Coffee in the basement, and finished off at Union Square with a passing around of sketchbooks. There were a lot of great drawings, and in great volume.

I'll scan some of my stuff to post tomorrow; I hope to see everyone else's drawings, too!
John Juan
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John Juan »

Sorry I cut out on everyone soo quickly. I was getting burned by the sun pretty badly so I went off in search for a hat and what not. When I came back everyone was gone but it was cool because I was with two good friends so we walked around and had a fun time anyway. The only thing is that I'm nursing a sun burn right now. OUCH! :cry: :oops:

Emma, it was great to see you and everyone else again. Sorry I didn't stick around too long. My name is just John like it says lol I'll be posting all of my drawings soon! :D
Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

I'm sorry I missed this time around! I'll be in SF tomorrow around Civic Center and I'll post what I get.

I'm looking forward to everyone else's contributions! :)
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

John, I'm glad you guys had a good time on your own... sorry to have abandoned you! I'll have to keep better track next time.

Here are a couple of mine.

The park we went to first had a great view of the surrounding buildings...

Some mom sitting on the sidelines at the playground, serving as a coatrack...

Genevieve and Anne drawing in chinatown.

Post by Guest »

This was a really fun crawl with some pretty varied locations. The people watching in Chinatown alone was spectacular. My favorites characters there were the newspaper vendors, the old men clustered playing card and board games, and the guy selling watches of dubious origins. Great find on the park Paula!

I love that coat rack sketch Emma, it encapsulates a lot of the mothers there.
Here is some of my stuff from the day:

Upper deck of the Chinatown park.

Random people hanging out in Chinatown

Part of a fountain and a lamppost in the park across from Grace Cathedral.

Some dude hocking his paintings at Union Square. Ah, artists drawing artists.
Ryan R
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Ryan R »

Oop, forgot to login. :roll:
That last post was me.
Hooray for art blogs!
http://stupendium.com/blog/
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Nice to hear you enjoyed the day ...

forgive me for not even checking in last night ... but I was stuck in an editorial office, from 9 to 6, drawing a mile a minute ... Ronnie was in the same situation ... a very busy saturday.
I was so beat at the end of the day I couldn't even imagine myself trying to sketch for myselft ... too bad ...

But it's great to see your sketches. Very nice !

More ?

e
2danimator
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

More Sketches

Post by 2danimator »

Here's my work for the day. Hope this works (This is the first time uploading to this forum. I had to brush up on my html in order to do this):
I kinda ran out of time drawing the Grace Cathedral. The walk up the hill just about killed me. For those of you that don't know San Francisco, it was so steep that there were handrails on the sidewalk! Although, when we got to the top, what a view! It was well worth it.

I enjoyed this 2 hour sketch even as the neighborhood got super friendly with me on the park bench. Especially the panhandlers.:lol:

It was a lot of fun to meet everyone again.

Looking forward to the next one,
Vern
2danimator
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by 2danimator »

Here's some quick group photos. Although it was the start of a four day weekend (Independence Day holidays), there was a fair showing.
Taking a breather at the Chinatown playground. Ann is not pictured because she's taking the photo. Thanks Ann.

See how much fun we have. Don't you wish you were here too?

Regards,
Vern
frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Nice Pics Vern!

Post by frosti »

Emma - really like mom the coatrack, and the kids! I think that park may have had the most kids in one place I've ever scene in SF.

Vern - nice watercolors, particularly the cathedral front. Also, thanks for posting the photos :)

Ryan - you nailed that Union Square art scene.

I'll have to get my stuff scanned and online later. It was a really fun day, and great to meet the new folks :D

I didn't think California Street was as bad as Lyon Street...

:p
Last edited by frosti on Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JanB
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by JanB »

Thanks for posting San Franscisco sketchcrawlers I thoroughly enjoyed the tour of your city. Love seeing the architecture and the mom as a coatrack :lol: well all I can say is BEEN THERE :lol:
Joy in the journey.
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

wwaaaaoooo
these are nice and beautiful sketches!
and photo is nice!
many sketcher gather this time too!!
I want to go to SFSC!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

frosti
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

my sketches

Post by frosti »

paintmonster - I want to go to the Sapporo crawls - looks like fun! (and with more tasty treats) :)

Here's my efforts for the day. I'm trying out toned papers, and trying to break out of some of my habits (like just using 1 pen all the time).

In Portsmouth Square, in China town, they had an awesome little play area, which had this little stone lion's face.

I've got a ways to go with architecture, but I really liked these figurative statues on top of the one building.

Scale gets funny in parks, but I think this one might be my best of the day.

An elderly fellow walking about. The park was densley packed, though you couldn't tell from my sketches. Lots of kids, old folks, and people doing Tai Chi.

A girl reading out loud.

Playing with the brush pen and the roof of the restrooms.

That was all I got in China town, aside from a slight sunburn ;) On the way up Bush street, we went to Huntington Square, which stands in the middle of Grace Cathedral, the Grand Masonic Temple, some nice apartments, and a too ritzy for me private club. Naturally, I drew none of these.

I did find a dad packing up his picnic.

Then I settled on a fae's-eye view of the park. I tried to get lower, but I couldn't draw from there.

So then, off to Yerba Buena, er, nah, let's hit Union Square - there's a whole giant crowd of artists! I didn't draw any of them, either.

This first one would benefit from some tone - that's an electrical outlet next to the base of a tree.

The pidgeons know about the falsies.

In general though, they seem puzzled.

The ferns in the planters boxen have seen better days. They create interesting spaces though.

In general, I find that the sketchcrawls inspire me enough to want to be drawing all the time. Especially after seeing everyone elses stuff. I'm looking forward to SC11 !
silverflagon
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by silverflagon »

Some really good sketches here, but my favourite is the puzzled pigeon :lol:
Oliver
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Oliver »

I had a lot of fun this time around; catching up with old faces (and sketchbooks) as well as quite a few new ones.

Emma: Awesome stuff as always! I really like your carefully expressive figures and buildings.

Ryan R. : Wonderful, gestural people drawings. You took a stab at the fountain too! I found drawing that subject particularly thorny and difficult (i'm not showing mine :D)

2DAnimator: Wow...very detailed and studied masonry, facades and buildings.

Frosti: Diverse and expressive drawings. Your pigeons made me think of a certain crow from Neil Gaiman's sandman...

Some of my own stuff...mostly from the China Town leg of the Crawl!

Image[/URL]
Last edited by Oliver on Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:30 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Return to “10th World Wide SketchCrawl”