Alcatraz/San Francisco 11/13

Post your drawings here ... November 13 2005
John Juan
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John Juan »

Those were pretty small. Let's see if this is any better....
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

John Juan
beautiful colors!! I like 1st one!!!! good drawing!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

It was fun exploring the island, but I only got two sketches to share.

andy
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by andy »

Nice! More great sketches from the Rock, keep 'em coming :)
bcthree
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by bcthree »

So many great sketches from Alcatraz!

Karen,
Your second drawing looks like a production design study. I want to see Clint Eastwood down in the foreground about to slip into a raft!
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

Karen
Nice drawing! I like 2nd one!!

Gerald

Post by Gerald »

John - good job, you're lines are so straight :D

Karen - I like the ink washes, especially the first one
(former military chapel) :lol:
vplow
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

some photos from Alcatraz

Post by vplow »

Hi everyone, here's a few photos I took during the Alcatraz SketchCrawl. Enjoy!

http://homepage.mac.com/vplow/sketchcra ... bum56.html
larry
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by larry »

Those are some really great pictures, everyone... I ought to try watercoloring sometime, y'all make it look so easy. ;) Here are a few of mine from Sunday:

-Larry
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

vplow
wow nice photos!!!
May I download for drawing these photos?

quisque
beautiful simple sketches Larry.
I especially like last take! I like your line!!

vplow
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

feel free

Post by vplow »

PaintMonster, glad you like them- feel free to download. Post here if you need more resolution.

Great sketches everyone! Next time maybe I'll bring my sketchpad too!
emma
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by emma »

Karen, is that smudgy charcoal or your waterpen? I like that second one, how it all leads up to the building on the hill.

Quisque - that last drawing of yours, with the stairs! The perspective is right on ... and the seagull.

It's great to see all the drawings you guys did!
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

quisque ... nice linework! Where did you find the lily on that rock?

vplow .. beautiful photos on your site!!! :wink: what a beautiful light you had that day!!!
Karen
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by Karen »

Emma:
It's the sumi brush pen. I was using a different sketchbook this around and the paper absorbed the ink too quickly for smoother washes. Think I'll experiment with actual rice paper sometime soon and see what happens. :D
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

Sorry in advance for the long entry, but it was such a crazy work week and I hadn't had time to say how much I've enjoyed looking at everyone's artwork...

miss p
The watercolor is lovely. I love how you splash the colors around to go beyond the literal--very expressive! I dig the street perfs, too!

biga
Great drawings--you really got to a lot of different parts of the island. I was amused to see the tower drawing, where the staircase comes down and stops abruptly (presumedly when the rangers asked you to move on). It makes me pity the poor folks up in the tower who can't get down! :wink:

pantufla
If I could, I would proclaim you the cross-hatch king! I saw some other art on your website, and there is some nice stippling work there, too. You have a great sense of the light&dark. And the use of the different colored inks on the different paper--very nice range of work, and all hi quality...

Jen W.
Very nice! I see you ventured indoors--I never made it that far. Nice style in the lines. (And you drew my favorite little truck!)

Léo
Nice sketches. I especially like the people and the gull!

Jeff D
Strong set of visuals, but with a delicate touch. I find myself wondering if you ever add color to your sketches after the fact, or would that violate the immediacy of the moment. They are such great drawings and they scream out for watercolor washes--if you ever did that, I'd love to see the results! (btw, I looked at your web site--you ROCK!! Outstanding work...)

splinesmith
Don't give up your day job. What's with all the buildings? What, they got no humans on your planet?

gdedios
Beautiful work! I especially love that view of the military chapel. Such an interesting building, and you really captured the colors.

hoffman
Wow. ::jawdrop:: Wow. I take it you do a LOT of watermedia. The portrait is engaging, and I just keep staring at the Model Industries building. You achieved such remarkable depth...it just pulls my eyeballs right out of my head and into the (ew!) painting. Outstanding.

John Juan
Nice work, John. The colors are very nice on both (especially the 2nd one). Of course, I have a soft spot in my heart for that truck. Didn't it seem he was the only automobile on the island? I felt sorry for him--all his friends driving the interstate freeways, going to distant destinations all those years, and here he is going back and forth up a hill. I wondered if it was a case of automotive evolution. Like how the animal species on Australia and the Galapagos Islands are so unique because their evolutionary lines became terminated once they became landlocked? There he is, stuck in the late 30s, while just a few miles away there came an endless stream of airstream, fins, convertables, auto transmissions, hood scoops, mag wheels, glass packs, rectangular headlamps, airbags, SUVs, suburban assault vehicles, :hybrids:, etc.
::ahem::
I also wonder if this is why so many of my co-workers think that heavy substance abuse is my thing...

Karen
Wow--nice ink washes--a great compliment to the linework.

larry
A very busy pen you have! Nice job establishing tone with the hatching. Especially in the first page--I like how you create the strong contrast by keeping large areas clean (no linework). I think those are the strongest for that reason.

In all, a great collection of art from The Rock. Also, thank to those who posted their photography. There is some amazing and inspiring work there.

Such a great day--I hope we can do it again soon!
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions

Return to “5th World Wide SketchCrawl”