Alcatraz/San Francisco 11/13

Post your drawings here ... November 13 2005
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

This was my first SketchCrawl (first of many, I hope!), and what a day it was. The weather was fantastic, the people were friendly and fascinating, and the locale was...well, the Rock!! I have really enjoyed looking over everyone's artwork from that day and I love the wide range of styles, subject matter, perspectives, etc. You guys are truly amazing!
Thank you to Enrico and all who helped think this thing up and make it real.

Here are some of my sketches from my first SketchCrawl, or "Day On The Rock":

This was my first group of images, having just stepped off the boat, and the only ones where I even attempted color. The color set I brought was too clumsy, so I decided to stick to B&W. I'll have to re-strategize for next time.

Here I started up the hill and looked back, capturing the scores of SketchCrawlers starting to fan out from the dock, much to the befuddlement of the tourists and park rangers. :D

I enjoyed the challenge of drawing on Alcatraz. So many buildings stacked on top of each other with all different orientations. At the base of the hill, it gives one the feeling of being an ant looking up at a wedding cake (with said cake having been hastily reassembled after an unfortunate incident involving a tipsy bridegroom and a camera tripod, but hey that's just my wedding experience...)

What struck me over and over was the contrast between freedom and imprisonment. You see these beautiful vistas of the Marin Headlands, the bay, and then concrete and iron bars. I remember from taking the tour a few years ago that back in the days of it being a prison, the inmates could hear the sounds of the parties in downtown SF on New Year's Eve. Talk about adding insult to injury!

I was fascinated by the state of advanced decay that permeates Alcatraz. Here I was looking over the side of a cliff, down a concrete stairway that seemed as though it were literally dissolving. Rusty re-bar poked out like the skeletal remains of the crumbling structures. Everywhere, architectural fossils lay heaped and broken upon the shores of the island. It's all equally hideous and beautiful.

So anyway, I really enjoyed the day, and I was glad to get a chance to meet you all, and if I didn't get a chance to meet you, I'll catch you next time!
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

splinesmith
Hi, Nice sketches!!
especially I like last one is the best!!
super dynamic angle!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

Gerald

Sketchcrawl #5 - Alcatraz Island

Post by Gerald »

Almost didn't make it out for this one, but special thanks to Leila for selling me her extra ticket for the 1145am ferry. Had a great time, can't wait for SC#6. Had a great time roaming around Alcatraz and meeting everyone there.

enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Sweeeet !!! Super Thanks to everyone of you for coming to Alcatraz and thanks for sharing your drawings ... awesome stuff !!!
Will scan mine asap ! Been so busy ... X)

Check Ronnie's photos here !

http://www.ronniedelcarmen.com/blog1/blog.html

ciao!

e
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

I also wanted to say that is just so amazing to see all of you around me drawing on these crazy marathon days .... it's just so cool ... :oops: :roll: :D :D

e
James
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by James »

gdedios, Love them watercolours. Wish I could've been there with you guys.

splinesmith, you've got a thing for those exterior shots. Really enjoyed the courtyard and stairs.
splinesmith
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by splinesmith »

One more sketch--I had to wait for this one to dry. You see, I became so totally engrossed in my sketching, that when I went to hop on the ferry I didn't realize it had already pulled away from the dock about a minute earlier (timing is everything with those things). So before I resurfaced, I grabbed a quick sketch of some of the aquatic wildlife of the region.
I believe the big fellah is a Alcatraz Prisonfish...

[/img]
John Atkinson
Atkinson Productions

Post by Guest »

Am I the only person that didn't know Tadahiro was there until after the fact? DAMN! As soon as I read that he was there, I knew right away who the guy I saw speaking Japanese was. *sigh*

Not a very productive day for me. Having never been to Alcatraz, I found myself caught up in all of the other stuff. Oh well, next time.

Great sketches everyone.

Here is my meager offering...

Can't wait until the next one, maybe I'll actually get some drawings done!
hoffman
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by hoffman »

Oops, forgot to sign in. That was me.
miss p
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by miss p »

meager offering???? those are beautiful, Hoffman!

miss p
Léo
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by Léo »

Yes fully agree with miss p, the Bird Man is my favorite. Really strong look.
Last edited by Léo on Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorsten
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by Thorsten »

@ hoffman meager (German: "jaemmerlich,duerftig, mager").. oh. I hadn't heard. BUT no, they are not meager at all!!! I also like the thorugh-views of the third

@ all the ones above I really like them, too. Some of your sketches and photos made me re-walk the island after years of having been there! (To get the grammar right: Hey, just as a visitor for one day ... not yEArS ...)
Gerald

Post by Gerald »

miss p - great use of color on the Warden's house. You've made it more enjoyable to look at compared to seeing it in person :) Were those the silver painted street performers? Looks just like 'em.

biga - Wow 6 detailed sketches? You rock!

pantufla - I like your technique with the line work.

jen w. - not only did you walk away with some nice photos, but some nice sketches. Cool sink...gross...but cool sketch.

Leo - you were really all over the island...I like that last one a lot.

Jeff D - you've captured some great angles in your sketches. Digg'in the Main Cell House sketch.

amelia - you were a sketching machine as well, good job - love the fire hydrant.

splinesmith - your sketches have a lot of character to 'em. That side rail for the stairs are awesome!

hoffman - those turned out Sweeeeet! Thanks for showing your sketch journal on the way back, every page was great. It was nice to see your work up close. I'm just amazed by your line work with brush pens.
PaintMonster
Japan

Post by PaintMonster »

gdedios
wow beautiful water colors!!
I love your sketches very much!!
especially 1st one!!

splinesmith
hahha strange world!!
love your arts!

hoffman
waaao super beautiful sketches!!
I like 3rs one!!

I also wanted to participate in the sketch crawl of San Francisco.
Especially, It is wonderful that TadahiroUesugi accompanied.
I am super big fan of Tadahiro Uesugi Arts!!
PaintMonster (Sapporo /Japan)

John Juan
Real Crawler
Real Crawler

Post by John Juan »

Hello everyone! These are two sketches I did at the crawl. I was experimenting with using watercolor pencils on site and then going home to add water. I like the results.

Please feel free to check out more of my work at http://digitaldisciple.deviantart.com/. Click on both "Gallery" and "Scraps" above the older gentleman's portrait to view all of my work.

I had a great time meeting everyone, and i'm looking forward to the next crawl.

-John Tallacksen

Return to “5th World Wide SketchCrawl”