Just For Fun - Vancouver

Doodles, comics, illustrations, concepts ... post your work here!

Moderator: Gerald

CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Just For Fun - Vancouver

Post by CyberDave »

Just trying the image load before Sketchcrawl 32.
"There can never be too much supervision" - 1929 Chrysler Imperial Sedan with flat tire.
[ Just some Project Manager humour coming through :wink: ]

[Pencil and watercolour - in Moleskine Folio A4 Watercolor Album - 12 x 8.5 inches]
Last edited by CyberDave on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
m9fred
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler
Austria

Re: Just For Fun - Vancouver

Post by m9fred »

Very nice image.
(It's easy to work but hard to bear responsibility :wink: .)
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

In attempt at self improvement, I have attempted to do a sketch each day. Pushing myself a bit on this sketch, but it took two sittings. I had to stop as I was beginning to obsess on it. :problem: :think: It is after all only a sketch. I have now declared it finished. :)

[Pen, Ink and watercolour - in Moleskine Folio A4 Watercolor Album - 12 x 8.5 inches]

Cheers
CyberDave
Vancouver, Canada
Last edited by CyberDave on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

While "locked in" to the West-end due to he road closures for the Celebration of Light Fireworks, I decided to sketch local scenes around home. This is my rendition of the English Bay Inn at 1968 Comox Street, Vancouver as of this date.

I plan to do more of these sketches around the West-end of Vancouver in the coming weeks.
This is part of a series of sketches in progress of the West-end Vancouver.

[Pen, Ink and watercolour - in Moleskine Folio A4 Watercolor Album - 12 x 8.5 inches]

Cheers
CyberDave
Last edited by CyberDave on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Today's sketch is of Hirshfield House at 1963 Comox Street in the Vancouver West-end. This Heritage home was built 1910 and is a Craftsman style home. It was built for Alfred C. Hirshfield, a Vancouver real estate broker and businessman.

Cheers
CyberDave
Last edited by CyberDave on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Todays sketch is of a Tudor style house at 1995 Comox Street in the West-end of Vancouver.

Cheers
Dave
Last edited by CyberDave on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Todays sketch - "The Residency" at 1049 Chilco Street isn't the prettiest building in the West-end, just one ugly oblong block of concrete but it is has been my home since April 2000. The Residency located at Chilco and Comox, was built in 1956 as a low cost development project. The building has 4 claims to fame: Firstly, it was built on the site of some really steamy celebrity party's in the early 1950's. Secondly the building has huge almost floor-to-ceiling and room-width windows. Thirdly, Chilco is blocked off to vehicular traffic at that point and so the building looks onto a beautiful parkette. Lastly it was built and designed by the famous Vancouver Architect Arthur Erickson (his first building) with his partner Geoffrey Massey. The Residency has been described as a white concrete six-storey Modernist shoebox with large letterbox windows. Erikson was quoted as saying "I'm sure we didn't want to repeat it, or even own up to it," and "I guess the challenges were technical, not artistic.". "It had to fit the rectangular site and the six storey maximum zoning by-laws (which were amended to allow even higher structures in the same year that The Residency was completed). There wasn't much we could do. Make the façade as simple as possible, have as many windows and as much floor space as possible."

Cheers
CyberDave
Vancouver, Canada
Last edited by CyberDave on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

August 13, 2011 - Saturday's sketch of the "Laughing Statues" in Morton Park. The statues, called “A-Maze-in Laughter”, depict a series of laughing men sculpted in the image of Beijing-based artist Yue Minjun. 14 figures each standing roughly 8' tall sculpted in 7 different positions, with bared teeth and squinty eyes. The piece made its Canadian debut as part of the Vancouver Biennale, a citywide public art exhibit that features Minjun’s work and those of 30 other artists until June 2011. The “A-Maze-in Laughter” exhibit also served as the site of the Biennale’s official launch on October 27, 2009. Although initially the sculptures were to be in Morton Park (junction of Beach Ave. / Denman St. / Davie St.) until June 2011, they are still here being enjoyed by all.

For me this was a tough sketch to do.. so many people wandering around in the way, and it was hot in the afternoon. I ended up sketching the statues first in pencil because the did not move. :) I was going to sketch them as separate groups of sculptures, but then quickly decided to show all 14 statutes as a double page view. After sketching the statues, I then added the people overtop as they arrived one-by-one. People certainly like to play with the figures, hanging all sorts of stuff from the hands. Not just kids but adults too. :lol: Finally I added the foliage in the background and the far background. The colour was added last.

[Pencil and watercolour - in Moleskine Folio A4 Watercolor Album - 12 x 8.5 inches]
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

August 17, 2011 - Todays sketch is of a building at the corner of Comox and Denman streets. Denman Street buildings were created when the Robson / Denman / Davie tram cars were installed in the early 1900's to carry residents of the West-end into downtown. Originally the West-end held the rich Vancouver elite, but as they gradually moved to the Shaunassey area up Granville, the West-end became a home for the middle class. The West-end soon began to fill with transient workers and new arrivals. This meant that the houses were sub-divided to house the extra people. The stores were created at street level to service the area, and the owners and tenants lived above or behind the stores. This happens today, for example the owner of the Central Bistro lives above the Legendary Noodle Restaurant. Note the balconies and terraces created in the upper levels to replace the lack of garden space.

[Pencil, pen, ink and watercolour - in Moleskine Folio A4 Watercolor Album - 12 x 8.5 inches]
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Sketch (Aug 20, 2011) is of the Haywood Bandstand that sits in Alexandra Park in the West-end of Vancouver. This bandstand is used during the spring and summer to hold free concerts. The concerts usually take place on Sunday afternoons from 1:00pm to 3:00pm, with the following Saturday as the scheduled date should it rain on the Sunday. The bandstand built in 1915 is controlled and serviced by the Vancouver Parks office and sits in the park triangle formed by Beach Ave / Bidwell St / Burnaby St. Please excuse the photo of the sketch, I just could not get the contrast and details to show that are in the actual drawing.

kumi matsukawa
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by kumi matsukawa »

It's so lovely to see your beautiful town through your eyes. The pier and boats drawing is terrific! With subdued colors and dark area give elegant balance in the picture. Those beautiful houses make me wonder what people live there. I'm impressed with those statues work!
The contrast between alive people and those motionless objects is so well captured :clap: :clap: :thumbup:
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Kumi..
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I like the Vancouver Rowing club sketch too. I had the most fun with the Laughing Statues. Funnily, I missed a couple of events around the statues a few days later. Firstly the city had their annual Zombiewalk finishing at the statues site (hundreds of people dressed up and acting as ghouls and zombies through the Vancouver streets). There was a wedding ceremony at the Laughing Statues when the Zombies arrived.. I don't think they had planned for the interruption :lol: Secondly another day or so later a local hair designer made colourful and exotic wigs for the 14 Laughing Statues and had approval to put them on the statues for a few hours. I guess since the statues were all based on the artist's body and head, the wigs were all made the same size. Anyway in both cases I did not have my sketchbook or camera with me when I passed by. :(

Cheers
Dave
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Sketch for Saturday August 27, 2011 is of Roedde House and Museum located at Barclay and Broughton streets in Vancouver's West-end. Roedde House was built for Gustav and Matilda Roedde in 1893. The style of house is "Queen Anne Revival". Gustav Roedde was born in 1860 in Grossbodungen, Thuringen, Germany and trained as a bookbinder in Leipzig. He immigrated to Cleveland Ohio USA in 1881 and married Matilda Cassebohm. The couple moved to San Francisco then Victoria, British Columbia and finally Vancouver. In 1886, Gustav opened the city's first bookbindery. By 1893, the Roeddes were able to afford to have a new house built at 1415 Barclay Street (now labelled "the Roedde House". In 1976, Roedde House was designated a heritage building and in 1984 the house was painstakingly restored and filled with authentic furnishings.

I was not really happy with this view of the house but it was the only pace I could comfortably sketch the house and the side garden in one drawing. I was determined to do this as a double-page sketch.

Last edited by CyberDave on Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Sketch for Sunday August 28, 2011 is of Fire Hall #6 in Vancouver's West-end. Fire Hall # 6 was opened March 1, 1908 and is located at the corner of Nelson and Nicola streets. Fire Hall #6 is still a fully functional fire station serving the West-end neighbourhood. When the Fire Hall was built in 1908, it was thought to be the first in North America to be built for motorized fire engines.

CyberDave
Sensei Crawler
Sensei Crawler

Post by CyberDave »

Sketch for Monday August 29, 2011 is of the Nicola Dry Cleaners building in Vancouver's West-end. This building is located at 996 Nicola Street (corner of Nelson and Nicola streets). Nestled between high-rise apartments and heritage buildings, this dry cleaner is a neighbourhood favourite. On the corner and hard to miss, the store has been there at least 15 years, if not more. They do one hour dry cleaning and shirt laundry for reasonable cost. If you don't feel like walking to Denman Street and dropping off a load there, this is the next best thing.

Return to “Random Drawings”