Kyoto, Japan - Checking In

Share your drawings from March 6th 2005
JohnG
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Kyoto, Japan - Checking In

Post by JohnG »

Hey Crawlers -

John Grillo here in Kyoto just letting you all know that I'll be Crawling on the 6th as well. This time I'll be flying solo and I've decided to stay within my own neighborhood for the whole day. It might be interesting to see what kinds of things I can discover about my tiny corner of Kyoto if I devote a whole day to sketch all over it.

It's really quite cold here in Kyoto - here's hoping for sunny weather on Sunday.
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

excellent John, will we see some sketches of the Ginkakuji?
8)

E
JohnG
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Images From the CRAWL

Post by JohnG »

It was a cold day in Kyoto this past Sunday. The wind was really blowing and unless you were to stand in direct sunlight chances of hypothermia were high. My original plans were to spend the whole day walking around my neighborhood, but I wound up taking shelter inside halfway through my adventure.

This temple is right next door to my house and has it's fair share of activity. The monks and nuns who live/work there are always running about or building something out of the massive pile of wood they keep in their yard. It's nice to wake up in the morning and hear them ringing bells and chanting. I got a lot of smiles and even a engaged in a few conversations while I was drawing there.

My dorm is an old Japanese style dorm with tatami mats and everything. It just so happend that my room mate, Ian, was airing out his futons on Sunday so as I lay on one of them in the sunshine (where it was warm) I drew my dorm. The tree which is in our yard is a cherry blossom tree - which will bloom in another month or so - if you're in the area stop by and see it.

My tools were simple, but I had a great time using them.

The inside of my kitchen offered me a safe haven from the cold, but I got tired of drawing our can full of garbage really quickly.

Here's looking forward to many more days of drawing, and maybe if the weather turns around, a trip to Kinkakuji is in order!
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

uhm, can't see the images ... but my connection has been misbehaving ... might be my problem ...
Sounds like you had a good crawl John ...

E
enrico
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by enrico »

Ah I can see them now!!!
Nice drawings John ! Love the details in the temple ...
excellent !

E
JohnG
Newbie Crawler
Newbie Crawler

Post by JohnG »

That temple is just next door so I'm planning on going back to fill in even more. I've just got the rough sketch, but I also like it a lot! ^_^

Return to “2nd World Wide SketchCrawl day!”