Sketching on a rainy day – by Emma

Posted by on Mar 7, 2006 in Blog, just drawings, RandomSketchCrawls | 8 comments

It looked like it was going to be a beautiful day today, so I decided to do a mini-crawl in Davis. Sketching on your own turf is strange because you pass the same things on your way to work every day and end up tuning out buildings, trees, cars, people – they’re interesting, but you just see them too much for it to even occur to you to sketch them.

I ended up somehow at the Sacramento Zoo, too – but it started pouring so that turned out to be a very short trip. I say that just so nobody thinks there are zebras running around a college town (although there was a bandaged-up goat).

Emma’s Sketchblog

8 Comments

1. enrico says:

Great sketches Emma … thanks for contributing … is the tree done in watercolors?

e

2. Thorsten says:

Emma, very beautiful ! Looks like a very soft marker in the third, Enrico?

3. Gerald says:

I like every sketch you posted emma, including the ones back in your blog. I miss the Sacramento Zoo.

4. Emma says:

Thanks guys! Yeah, the first drawing of the tree is in watercolor – on the goats I cheated and threw some color on in Photoshop, because the bandages didn’t stand out from the goat’s face enough.

5. aoi says:

The zebra is perfect! Beautiful sketches!!

6. shmileblik says:

Love your zebra! A zoo visit…what a nice idea!

7. Danny says:

How can my friend and I get involved in the next sketchcrawl? Is there a mailing list? I used to sketch with a group in LA ( http://www.sketchbooksessions.com/ ) and I’ve been missing it ever since I moved to the bay area.

8. Gerald says:

Welcome to the Bay Area Danny. We are currently trying to set a date in April for Sketchcrawl # 9 – San Francisco. Here’s a direct link to most of the suggestions for times and places…feel free to make any recommendations.